Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 01:48 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R?

OK, thats my question, can an absolutly stock Type R beat a new Mustang GT? I know this has been asked a thousand times before, but i must make sure of this. Becuase my friend was talking to me about how a stock R can beat a stock GT....i totally disagreed.(Even though i do absolutly love R's, i am still realistic) So an answer would be greatly appreciated. Oh and say the drivers are about equal when it comes to skill. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (TypeRInNeed)

uh, no
Old 09-26-2001, 01:51 PM
New User

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (Chris93Si)

I raced my 98 with basic bolt ons and killed a new GT.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (JSpecwest)

if you can get your power in the 170's whp or have basic bolt on's (intake, header, exhaust, & pulley's you can beat one. How do I know? I've seen a few R's with those bolt on's race various new GT's and beat them. Its really up to the driver though.
I know when I raced this one new GT with a passanger in both my car and his car and with my whole stereo system, from a rolling go (5mph) I pulled and got 6+ car lengths on him and took him up to 110mph then I shut the car down.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (Rboosted717)

The 01 GT is faster.
I've seen ITRs do the 1/4 mile around 14.5
New GTs are supossed to run it in 14.0

Mainly driver though. All it takes is a poor lauch, wheel spin, missed shift.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:49 PM

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (jond)

Off the line you'd have some issues, but from a rolling start I think you could edge one out. With a good I/H/E setup you should be able to pull one in 1320, freeway, whatever.

And i've seen 10+ newer GT's run at the track and NONE of them were coming close to a 14.0

Old 09-26-2001, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (WayneGro)

Thats what I figured. It doesn't matter how much horsepower you have, if you cant plant it its worthless.

GTs don't have limited slip do they? Crappy allseason tires. And they're heavy...
Old 09-26-2001, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (WayneGro)

I ran a 4.6 GT vert and he had too much wheel spin and i murdered him. 2+ cars.

I ran a another gt from a roll and he raped me thru first, I was making up some ground thru 2nd, and then we had to shut it down...

if the stang driver can't drive, then the R would prob take it. but equal drivers, nope.

no torque =

[Modified by NBP ITR 01-622, 11:54 PM 9/26/2001]
Old 09-26-2001, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if you autoX a short course... you definitely can beat it. I beat a whole bunch of 'em on Sunday at ~40.0 sec autoX course. hehe. Drag racing is a different story.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:05 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (the real steve c)

Stock for Stock...NO...what part of NO don't people understand?

Stop saying with this part and this part you can. The man simply asked Stock for Stock.

and the answer is NO.

*with equal drivers on a closed circuit of course*

Things that the Type R can beat the Stang GT in stock for stock...
1. Fuel Economy
2. Reliability
3. More chicks dig Integras...
4. Emissions testing

LoL...i don't know
Old 09-26-2001, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (ILOVERACING)

Stock for Stock...NO...what part of NO don't people understand?

Stop saying with this part and this part you can. The man simply asked Stock for Stock.

and the answer is NO.

*with equal drivers on a closed circuit of course*

Things that the Type R can beat the Stang GT in stock for stock...
1. Fuel Economy
2. Reliability
3. More chicks dig Integras...
4. Emissions testing

LoL...i don't know
5. Turning?
Old 09-26-2001, 03:10 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (MrBite)

maybe on a tight course...but on a true road course with straights...it doesn't stand a chance...

c'mon folks...it's pure V8 muscle vs. a tiny 1.8 liter four...let's be realistic.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:20 PM

No competition, the itr will smoke the **** out of the mustang gt........my friend's and i done it many times........after we smoked him he went out and bought a honda and traded that P.O.S. in.....hehhehehahahah
Old 09-26-2001, 03:21 PM
New User

I had 2 Mustangs before the Type R and most people are right, the new GT will run anywhere from 13.8 to 14.2 coupe 5 speeds. I raced my friend with a 2001 GT 5 speed and lost by 3/10s of a second in the quarter mile.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:22 PM

The difference is you'll be able to drive your R straight home, and go do the same again tomarrow and not worry. With the Stang you'll have to drive it straight to the mechanic's. heheh

Old 09-26-2001, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (SonicDark)

Stock for stock NO.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (MrBite)

Is the GT Mustang faster? Yes
How much faster? It's pretty darn close from a rolling race standpoint.
Check out the 30-50 mph and 50-70 mph time comparisons between the two vehicles.
There is a one tenth of a second difference. That's really not all that much of a difference so it is
believable to hear of "1" Type R beating a GT Mustang.
Not to mention the Type R pretty much dominates the Mustang in the areas
of lateral grip, slalom, and breaking "numbers". These performance results are from SCC
so some people have issues regarding this point but that's another topic.
Both vehicles have their advantages and both are fun to drive but there are many reasons
why I'm driving a Type R instead Mustang.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:34 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (the real steve c)

No competition, the itr will smoke the **** out of the mustang gt........my friend's and i done it many times........after we smoked him he went out and bought a honda and traded that P.O.S. in.....hehhehehahahah

King Rice-boy speaks ladies and gentlemen....
lmao
Old 09-26-2001, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (itrsport.com)

These performance results are from SCC so some people have issues regarding this point but that's another topic.
My only issue would be that the test data for the Type R is not accurate... All of the SCC guys grew up driving RWD muscle cars, so considering Mustang's and Camaro's have been around for over 30 years, they've had plenty of time to learn how to launch and drive them. The Type R on the other hand has only been around for 5 years, and they have not yet perfected the techniques required to drive them fast. For instance, in that article they got 0-60 MPH in 6.5 seconds, and 1/4 mile in 14.7......in their most recent review (I think about 1 year since the last one) the 0-60 MPH took 6.1 seconds and 1/4 mile 14.5!! That's a pretty big improvement for just on year. Not saying that a stock R is going to out accelerate a stock GT, but it is a much closer race than that article shows.
Old 09-26-2001, 04:23 PM
New User

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (Bob#497)

The GT should win. Not by THAT much...but it'll win.
Old 09-26-2001, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Magazine racing sucks. Stock for stock+ even drivers+ drag race=ITR goes down. Mustang GTs are fast and ugly cars. You just gotta respect that.
Old 09-26-2001, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These performance results are from SCC so some people have issues regarding this point but that's another topic.

My only issue would be that the test data for the Type R is not accurate... All of the SCC guys grew up driving RWD muscle cars, so considering Mustang's and Camaro's have been around for over 30 years, they've had plenty of time to learn how to launch and drive them. The Type R on the other hand has only been around for 5 years, and they have not yet perfected the techniques required to drive them fast. For instance, in that article they got 0-60 MPH in 6.5 seconds, and 1/4 mile in 14.7......in their most recent review (I think about 1 year since the last one) the 0-60 MPH took 6.1 seconds and 1/4 mile 14.5!! That's a pretty big improvement for just on year. Not saying that a stock R is going to out accelerate a stock GT, but it is a much closer race than that article shows.
Frankly I disagree with your statements. This article is a accurate representation of what these cars could archive on a good to average day. I think you are over analyzing the difficulty level of driving a Type R. There are different techniques for driving this car compared to the GT but it’s really not rocket science or a magical procedure. A 14.7 is a very respectable time for a stock Type R and I think most people here would agree with me that this is a tad quicker than what MOST experienced Type R drivers have posted on this board (stock). And from my research a 14.2 sec 1/4 mile for a new GT mustang is definitely not the fastest the magazines have ever recorded. 14 sec flats are obtainable for these GT cars.

If anything I think that SCC would be bias for the Type R to win the comparison. Why would they favor the GT Mustang when Hondas show up on every other page in the SCC mag? How do you know that all of the SCC guys "grew up driving RWD muscle cars"? Just wondering... They sure could have but I was not aware of this fact.

I'm not trying to attack you or your post Bob. Just voicing my opinions.
Old 09-26-2001, 04:35 PM
New User

Thanks for all the help everyone, you've done more then answer my question .
Old 09-26-2001, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R? (itrsport.com)

Frankly I disagree with your statements.
Fine by me.

This article is a accurate representation of what these cars could archive on a good to average day. I think you are over analyzing the difficulty level of driving a Type R. There are different techniques for driving this car compared to the GT but it?s really not rocket science or a magical procedure.
I'm not saying that it is rocket science, or that they don't know how to drive the car. What I'm saying is that there is a different technique involved in launching the cars... Think of it this way, 30 years driving experience vs. 5 years experience....which one of these groups do you think has exploited the most potential from the car?

A 14.7 is a very respectable time for a stock Type R and I think most people here would agree with me that this is a tad quicker than what MOST experienced Type R drivers have posted on this board (stock).
I think a 14.7 is a respectable time for a stock Type R, with an AVERAGE driver....most EXPERIENCED Type R drivers run mid to low 14's...

Why would they favor the GT Mustang when Hondas show up on every other page in the SCC mag? How do you know that all of the SCC guys "grew up driving RWD muscle cars"? Just wondering...
As far as I can remember, they DIDN'T favor the GT...they said it was slightly faster in acceleration, but in all other areas the Type R excelled. I'm not saying that they are biased or inaccurate...just that with more experience they will drive the car better (just like anyone else who practices). I'm too lazy to look right now, but I remember that two of the writers for SCC have mentioned at some point or another (sometime in this year's issues) that they grew up wrenching on and driving domestic V8's.
Old 09-26-2001, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think a 14.7 is a respectable time for a stock Type R, with an AVERAGE driver....most EXPERIENCED Type R drivers run mid to low 14's...
Umm, They don't with stock Type R's. An overwhelming majorty of these "experienced" type R drivers have modified cars. Very few stock Type Rs can run sub 14.5's. We are talking about S2000 teritory when you say low 14's.

Otherwise I understand where you are coming from regarding your other comments.

Quick Reply: New Mustang GT vs. 2001 Integra Type R?