Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

need help for rod bearing fitment in a real hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help for rod bearing fitment in a real hybrid

I need some help finding information about and sources for some rod bearings.

I have a set of carrillo rods for a B18C. I am fitting these to a Mazda crank.

Carrillo says the BE bore is 1.8897.

The crank mics at 1.7692, 1.7691, 1.7690 and 1.7691.

Which rod bearings do I need (sizing chart, web site info, color codes . . .)?
What are good sources (recommended parts man at a dealer, NAPA . . .)?
Aftermarket bearings or OEM?

thanks,

Eric Schieb
Old 11-30-2001, 06:41 PM
D

Default Re: need help for rod bearing fitment in a real hybrid (Eric Schieb)

mazda crank? huh?

but anyway, if you want to truly fit your bearings, you need to buy a bunch of different sets and sizes. all bearings are the same thickness on the sides, so, you can mix and match bearing halves to get the correct clearance.

first, take your mic, and set it on journal 1 of the crank(and lock it). put the mic in a vise/horizontal clamp, (to make life easy) take a dial bore gauge, and zero it to journal # 1

take rod #1, install bearings, put the cap on, and torque the bolts properly. . now put the dial bore gauge gage in the big end of the assembled rod. find out what your clearance is. mix/match 2 bearings to get the clearance that you want to run. i can check helms for the clearance if you need it.

see, this is the problem though, when you buy a 'bearing set' they're pretty much come as is, and you're pretty much stuck with what you get.

i duno if i explained that for ****, me sleepy and running on mt. dew and vivarin for finals... shoot me an email if you want.

what the hell are you building anyway?

D
Old 11-30-2001, 07:04 PM

Default Re: need help for rod bearing fitment in a real hybrid (D)

Thanks for the reply.

D:>all bearings are the same thickness on the sides, so, you can mix and match bearing halves to get the correct clearance.

Good tip. I did not know this. One of the things that my old experience with Honda sport bikes tells me is that (unlike other manufacturers) is that Honda uses these thicknesses to set the clearance. Often they would provide in the service manual or elsewhere information on which color bearing cooresponds to what size. This would give me a starting point for the method you describe. Or do I simply need to buy a variety? With the tight tolerances that were held on the crank (and I assume the rods), I assume that I will only need one size in the end.

What is helms? I assume it is a service manual that could tell us what the running clearance for the bearing should be. That info would be helpful. Thanks,

Eric Schieb