Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR

I have 98 ITR and I am overwhelmed with th choices of products I have to choose from. So I am looking to tap into some of the veteran ITR knowledge on...

1) What Big Brake up-grade should I go with and is there one that will work with 16in wheels?

2) I am pretty sure I am going with a turbo kit...still undecided though, but if I do...which kit is the cleanest and provides the purchaser with the least amount of headaches...?

3) What tires would you recommend for street and occasional track events?

4) Is there any preferrence on roll cages and harnesses?

Many thanks for any and all input.

Cheers
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (infulleffect)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 98 ITR and I am overwhelmed with th choices of products I have to choose from. So I am looking to tap into some of the veteran ITR knowledge on...

1) What Big Brake up-grade should I go with and is there one that will work with 16in wheels?

2) I am pretty sure I am going with a turbo kit...still undecided though, but if I do...which kit is the cleanest and provides the purchaser with the least amount of headaches...?

Cheers </TD></TR></TABLE>

First off the stock brakes are really quite good. Upgrade to some different pads and you'll really be amazed. If that doesn't do it for you, move up to Spoon calipers.

Second I couldn't tell you as I've never boosted a car myself yet...

Third a lot of people like the Azenis 215, but since they have now been discontinued Azenis has released the 615, though I personally have had no experience with them as well. Another thought is the Yoko ES100's. I've yet to hear anything bad about them.

Fourth and I'm biased on this one, if your going to track your car a lot and not do as much street driving I would get a weld in 6 pt. Many companies do though make some bolt in ones.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:29 PM
White Trash Wish Cash

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (Dave_B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First off the stock brakes are really quite good. Upgrade to some different pads and you'll really be amazed. If that doesn't do it for you, move up to Spoon calipers.

Second I couldn't tell you as I've never boosted a car myself yet...

Third a lot of people like the Azenis 215, but since they have now been discontinued Azenis has released the 615, though I personally have had no experience with them as well. Another thought is the Yoko ES100's. I've yet to hear anything bad about them.

Fourth and I'm biased on this one, if your going to track your car a lot and not do as much street driving I would get a weld in 6 pt. Many companies do though make some bolt in ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

to further elaborate on dave's points (number 2 to be exact), a quality kit to go with is a full-race kit. im not boosted, but that is what i presume most of the recommendations will be for.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:31 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (rino924)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rino924 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to further elaborate on dave's points (number 2 to be exact), a quality kit to go with is a full-race kit. im not boosted, but that is what i presume most of the recommendations will be for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Full-Race kit is a very good kit. But like most kits, it doesn't necessarily include EVERYTHING you need to run the car properly.

The only advice I could give you is to research the many kits and find out what's best for you.

My other advice is to save your money and buy a house. LoL
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (infulleffect)

Where in PA are you from? You dont have to post your location, you can sent it to me via pm.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (Jon D)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 98 ITR and I am overwhelmed with th choices of products I have to choose from. So I am looking to tap into some of the veteran ITR knowledge on...

#1) Stock brakes are more than sufficient. Listen to dave. Different pads will make all the....difference.

To do #2 properly expect to spend around 8-10K. I had a Full-Race kit. Geoff is a buddy of mine, he makes high quality ****.

Tires? Who knows. In Hawaii we don't have to worry about water on the roadways for too long. It evaporates quickly. I'm thinking of trying out some Azenis or BFG-KD's.

#4. I don't road race as much as I should, so my 4-point weld in roll bar works for me. I got the **** flamed out of me early on in my HT days for running stock seats, with harnesses and a harness bar. After taking the worst flames into consideration it completely reevaluated my setup and did some serious thinking. I realized my errors.

If your going to use harnesses, it is recommended to use the proper seat, if your going ot run the proper seat then you need the proper cage/roll bar. Dig? It is very unwise to do one without the other. Safety first!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 PM

pads are not the only thing you will need. You have to use a better fluid most common is the ATE Blue- works plenty good for most people and does not require too much maintenance. A common thing is using SS braided brake lines- It helps to improve the feel, once properly bled.

Since your pretty close to P1Auto I suggest calling Jack to talk to him about boost. Pretty simple and well worth the time, money and travel. 99% of the people here will Agree.

Tires... there is so much to talk about.
do you need them as your daily tire too?
I suggest MXs they don't give out with heat and have a slightly softer sidewall then the azenis but provide near equal grip cold and more grip at higher temps.
Grassroot did a write up on tires, search for it.

Cages... check your local laws before anything, some places might not allow it in a street car. also be sure to find out what seats work best with them.
But mostly look for the best certified cage and best protection for your needs.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:49 PM

Concerning a roll cage, I would highly recommend looking into piper motorsport here in Virginia(703-530-0353).

Not sure when the site will ever be up...
http://www.pipermotorsport.com
Old 12-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1) nsx calipers, rotors, race pads, motul race fluid, ss lines

2) No such thing as a headache free turbo kit. Endure the pain or save the money, it's your choice

3) Falken Azenis. Loved mine before I bought R compounds

4) Get a decent bolt in 4 point roll bar and a 5 or 6 point harness. Go camlock with the harness, the convenience is worth the price.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (Dr Pooface)

Will the NSX calipers fit the Type R spindles???
Old 12-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will the NSX calipers fit the Type R spindles???</TD></TR></TABLE>

search, the answers are out there......
Old 12-07-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (Dr Pooface)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr Pooface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2) No such thing as a headache free turbo kit. Endure the pain or save the money, it's your choice</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ what he said. Prepare for a month or two of downtime per year if you are driving the thing.

Are you planning to make a track monster out of this, or just a street car?

-Chris
Old 12-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since i am much the same boat that you are in (except that im rebuilding my R from the ground up [from a shell] and its gonna be used as a track car)

#1) Stock brakes are more than sufficient. Listen to dave and Brandon. Different pads will make all the....difference. if u want to spend the extra cash, you can go for the nsx calipers but you are gonna have to change everything else too (rotors, race pads, ss lines).

#2) as Dr Pooface said "No such thing as a headache free turbo kit. Endure the pain or save the money, it's your choice". i have never heard of anyone who has not had trouble at one point or another with a turbo kit, so if you do you are gonna need a lot of money especially for maintenance. just search for it.

#3) Tires? Who knows. It's pretty much depends on your area and personal preference. From the guys that i know, they have two different sets of tires: one set for race and one for street. Race tires include Falken Azenis (the ones i use), Kumho Esata MX, or any kind of R compound. Street tires vary (you can go bridgestone, kumho, or whatever you like).

#4. Cage/Rollbar. Well i have a 4 point bolt in rollbar from autopower. again its personal preference because you can go 4 point (rollbar) or 6 point (rollcage). harness are needed but there are many different kinds (4, 5, or 6 point) and different companies (takata, sparco, etc. )

regardless of which you get rollcage or rollbar, you are gonna need to get bucket seats. most of the guys i know have sparco seats. some people including me have bride or other brands.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (SpoogenJay)

i can only really comment on youre "#2" as i dont know whats been proven on type r's for road-racing scenario, but being i have a respect for most of the guys in here..i do read the threads in this forum pretty often.

[QUOTE=SpoogenJay]
#2) as Dr Pooface said "No such thing as a headache free turbo kit. Endure the pain or save the money, it's your choice". i have never heard of anyone who has not had trouble at one point or another with a turbo kit, so if you do you are gonna need a lot of money especially for maintenance. just search for it.
[QUOTE=SpoogenJay]

as it has been said in a few responses above...there really isnt a "headache-free" turbo kit, or any modification to your car for that matter.

what really matters is the quality of parts (if you go with full-race, you can't get any better than it) you are using in the kit, the quality of the install, and the tune.

im currently running a full race setup on my gsr, im planning on eventually possibly getting into road racing, so my turbo selection was influenced by daily driving and tracking the car.

if you boost it, always be prepared to get your hands dirty, even at inconvenient times

im a firm believe that as with anything in life, if you do it right, you save yourself trouble in the long run.

if i can add any help to this part of your question, let me know

btw, full-race is now offering a road racing kit, it allows use of a full-length radiator and utilizes a gt28rs..my choice

Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (yehiknowrite)

Thank you for all the feedback, I am going to look into the NSX caliper possibility...along with the "full-race" turbo kit...has anyone used the turbonetics kit?

Also, what about changing the cams in the R??? Is it worth the money?

Thanks again
Old 12-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for all the feedback, I am going to look into the NSX caliper possibility...along with the "full-race" turbo kit...has anyone used the turbonetics kit?

Also, what about changing the cams in the R??? Is it worth the money?

Thanks again</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you have a lot of money to spend and another car to drive daily I would leave it stock for now, get used to the car and then decide what mods you want to do. IMO the stock brakes are great with some better pads
Old 12-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (Dave_B)

For now I am planning on ordering some stainless steel brake lines and some better pads and take it from there...for the brakes.

The turbo thought is on the back burner...does the supercharger option have as many issues as the turbo for reliability?

With either I am only looking for a little bump...the cars purpose is more for auto-xing or solo events...not really dragging the thing.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For now I am planning on ordering some stainless steel brake lines and some better pads and take it from there...for the brakes.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

perfect

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The turbo thought is on the back burner...does the supercharger option have as many issues as the turbo for reliability?</TD></TR></TABLE>

get a stand alone ems and have Jack tune it....... very reliable

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With either I am only looking for a little bump...the cars purpose is more for auto-xing or solo events...not really dragging the thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then leave the forced induction alone and buy a final drive and flywheel......
Old 12-09-2005, 08:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">supercharger.. turbo ...

With either I am only looking for a little bump...the cars purpose is more for auto-xing or solo events...not really dragging the thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your going into competive AutoX and or Solo then I suggest you start reading up on the rules BEFORE you touch anything on your car.

Those rules will show you what path to take.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmdr430 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a stand alone ems and have Jack tune it....... very reliable</TD></TR></TABLE>

We have them in stock.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmdr430 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">leave the forced induction alone and buy a final drive and flywheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:49 AM

Alot of people say that getting your car turboed will cause you alot of problems, but if you change the rods and pistons, get all the necessary equipment for the turbo, and tune it with hondata, wont it be reliable?

Everyone says something different, some people say its going to be a headace, and others say that as long as you get it tuned the right way with a good program you will have a reliable car.

So who's tellin the truth?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (sicteer69)

It's not if people are telling the truth or not.
It's all about the build and tune quality.

If I were to go boost, there would only be one person. But to make the quality 100% right the money has to be there, and no holding back.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (ossabB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ossabB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's all about the build and tune quality.

But to make the quality 100% right the money has to be there, and no holding back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the Truth
Old 12-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking For INSIGHT on what products to use on my ITR (ossabB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ossabB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If your going into competive AutoX and or Solo then I suggest you start reading up on the rules BEFORE you touch anything on your car.

Those rules will show you what path to take.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Excellent point...I lost track of my priorities with focusing more on the build instead of the purpose of the build...