Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

legal to drive with a roll bar installed in Cali ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legal to drive with a roll bar installed in Cali ??

ive searched this topic already and really havent seen this topic pop up.
but i know that California is a stickler about many things when it comes to cars. like smog, ride height. but im installing an autopower rollbar in my dc2R and thinking about registering it as a driveable car (not necessarily a DD, more like a weekend car like many of the other Rs in Cali that ive seen or heard).

my question is will they put up a big fuss if you register and insure a car with a roll bar installed. i know that stock seat belts are a requirement in all cars whether you make it a track car or not. but will the DMV allow cars to be daily driven with a roll bar installed?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM

they wont complain about it. It is a safety messure to make sure your alright incase of a flip, but some cops will think that you are hard core racer and pull you over and give you a ref ticket to make sure you ***** legal.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: (cltitus)

i just got pulled over because of mine. he said it was for speeding but wouldnt talk about my speed till i poped the hood and he checked the car out. But i doubt theres anything they can write you up for.

and dont tell your insurance, i asked them once and they said they dont insure those kind of cars lol
Old 01-22-2007, 04:27 PM

i dont know why you would lose you insurance over a roll cage. its a good safety device to have. idk who is was but there was a post of his evo flipped due to hydroplaning on a patch of water in the road. a rollcage could save a life or two if **** would have went wrong
Old 01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cltitus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know why you would lose you insurance over a roll cage. its a good safety device to have. idk who is was but there was a post of his evo flipped due to hydroplaning on a patch of water in the road. a rollcage could save a life or two if **** would have went wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can possibly split your head open with a rollcage on the street. and it makes it harder for rescue personnel to cut off the roof if it ever comes to that.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM

good point i didnt facter in that.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cltitus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they wont complain about it. It is a safety messure to make sure your alright incase of a flip, but some cops will think that you are hard core racer and pull you over and give you a ref ticket to make sure you ***** legal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. i got pulled over and the cops checked out my car,i have a x brace and 4 pt harness and they though i was a hard-core racer. they sent me to the state reff.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98itRspec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98itRspec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">x2. i got pulled over and the cops checked out my car,i have a x brace and 4 pt harness and they though i was a hard-core racer. they sent me to the state reff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hell yeah the state ref
Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cltitus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know why you would lose you insurance over a roll cage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think they saw a rollcage more as something to describe the type of driving you would do in the car. lol
Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some roll cages can disrupt your ability to get out of the car in case of an accident. Although they can be safe, and help you survive and otherwise fatal accident, it won't help you any, if you can't escape a burning car.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We all know cali laws (x2thumbs down) and most enforcement are **** or itch to pull over...well having a roll bar will just give him an excuse to pull you over..reason you dont see grandpa in his cadillac Cts with roll bars...its not factory so they feel if you altered/mod that you mod/altered other things in your car and i dont know anyoone with just a unaltered stock car and roll bar...
Old 01-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DjMigs)

Rollcage / bar without pads and factory seatbelts is DANGEROUS!!! A personal friend of mine in cincinnati died instantly when the front of his skull impacted with the drivers door rollcage at 70mph.

And while on the topic, a 4pt harness can kill you too if your car flips and you DONT have a rollcage. The harness will hold your head in place at the top of the seat, car colapses and .. well the rest is history.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Trial User

Default Re: legal to drive with a roll bar installed in Cali ??

what happens if the cop or chp open your hood and state refs you in california? what options do you have?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think it's illegal however you might get some crap about it for police. Probably some hassling you trying to wonder why you have it lol
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LunchboxZT
Rollcage / bar without pads and factory seatbelts is DANGEROUS!!! A personal friend of mine in cincinnati died instantly when the front of his skull impacted with the drivers door rollcage at 70mph.

And while on the topic, a 4pt harness can kill you too if your car flips and you DONT have a rollcage. The harness will hold your head in place at the top of the seat, car colapses and .. well the rest is history.
Bingo. Rollcages should not be installed on street driven cars. If the car is driven on the street a 4pt rollbar should be installed.

The factory SRS system is designed to work together. As a result any safety items added to your car need to be planned out. It's a domino effect, changing one item disrupts the rest of the safety system. These items should all be installed together, 5/6pt harnesses, rollbar/etc., and (FIA) fixed-back seats.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fomoco
i just got pulled over because of mine. he said it was for speeding but wouldnt talk about my speed till i poped the hood and he checked the car out. But i doubt theres anything they can write you up for.

and dont tell your insurance, i asked them once and they said they dont insure those kind of cars lol
As far as insurance goes, they don't care if you have a roll cage or not. The only insurance company that cares are the classic car insurance company's.

The rull of thumb imo is if they don't ask you don't have to tell or let them know.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:31 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

old thread revived.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kitsune
As far as insurance goes, they don't care if you have a roll cage or not.
And you came up with this information how?

Did you read the rest of the thread? I am pretty damn sure they would care since it can actually CAUSE serious injury or death in a street driven vehicle. I would be willing to bet there is a clause in the fine print stating interfering with the factory safety equipment is grounds for denial of a claim.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I would say No it's illegal.

In california a Wideband gauge is illegal.

AEM EMS is illegal

( on public roads )

Also an insurance company ( rarely ) can Void your insurance because of mods. If you get into a crash and the adjuster / inspector finds mods that could be considered *unsafe* or that they could tamper or interfere with any safety equipment in any possible way, you are boned hardcore. That is including ghetto 4/5 point harnesses. except for the special certified ones, roll bars / cages, technically even suspension mods.

Perfect example: you buy a cheapo coilover, it blows on the highway and you lose control and crash. Insurance finds out it was due to your coilover. you didn't specifically tell them about it later. Void. happened to my friend ( this actual example )
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Salami
And you came up with this information how?

Did you read the rest of the thread? I am pretty damn sure they would care since it can actually CAUSE serious injury or death in a street driven vehicle. I would be willing to bet there is a clause in the fine print stating interfering with the factory safety equipment is grounds for denial of a claim.
Funny you ask because I work in the insurance industry in claims. I have over 5 years in P&C and now I'm in professional liability. I hold a CPCU license.

And you would willing to bet if there is an exclusion? Why don't you read your declaration page and see for yourself.

Also what does me reading the rest of the thread have to do about my statement on insurance?

Why don't you do this. Go to any of the auto insurance website and go and get a quote and get ready to buy it. They will provide you with some reading before you purchase of what can be insured and what exclusions there are.

You don't have to take my word for it...what do I know...I don't work in insurance or anything...I'm just made that comment as ignorant as your comment...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Orangevirus1
I would say No it's illegal.

In california a Wideband gauge is illegal.

AEM EMS is illegal

( on public roads )

Also an insurance company ( rarely ) can Void your insurance because of mods. If you get into a crash and the adjuster / inspector finds mods that could be considered *unsafe* or that they could tamper or interfere with any safety equipment in any possible way, you are boned hardcore. That is including ghetto 4/5 point harnesses. except for the special certified ones, roll bars / cages, technically even suspension mods.

Perfect example: you buy a cheapo coilover, it blows on the highway and you lose control and crash. Insurance finds out it was due to your coilover. you didn't specifically tell them about it later. Void. happened to my friend ( this actual example )
They can void your insurance if in the process of buying the insurance they have a policy of no modification. If the agent or the company did not provide you with an agreement or a noticed of modification not allowed and they denied your claim, that is bad faith. That's a lawsuit against the insurance company.

However if the company did state in an agreement that they will not insured modified vehicles or you failed to disclosed your modifications if there was a section to disclose then that's your own fault.

I know that Progressive has a section for additional coverage for modifications up to $5000.

As far as your friend being denied on his roll cage or whatever, he might have told you one thing but he was probably told another thing by the adjust. Most people don't understand insurance verbage or understand what is covered. For instance, the typical statement by most people is that they have "full coverage." That is just vague and full coverage can mean anything to anybody. There are probably more to your friends denial then what he told you or what he revealed.

For instance, google, State Farm Fire and Casualty Co. v. Perez, 2008
Person gets in accident, files claim, insurance denied because of modified seat, but in policy doesn't state anything about modified seat, the real issue was his driving that caused accident which caused the injury not the seat. If the seat had a crack or was damaged prior to the accident then the insurance can deny the claim.

In all the insurance company makes denial based on their own perspective and interperation. It's your responsibility to fight it.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LunchboxZT

damn man R.I.P.