Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

JDM SRS steering wheel Installation help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM SRS steering wheel Installation help

Hi guys, I took my ITR to the stealership to have my JDM SRS wheel installed since I did not like the idea of having the airbag blow in my face since I did not trust myself for the install.

Anyway, The Acura tech showed me that it was not a good idea to install the JDM wheel on the SRS cable reel b/c the cable might snap during a full turn. This was mainly b/c th opening at the bottom of the hub should have been located on the righ side like the oem wheel. Because of this he did not want to risk damaging the cable reel.

Now is there the chance of this damaging? or is there a part i need to buy to make this work.

Any help would be great

thanks

Old 06-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JDM SRS steering wheel Installation help (floatfisher)

If your airbag blows out during a steering wheel swap then you must be too dumb to follow instructions. Unplug the battery and let the car sit for a few hours.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess with a university degree im not able to follow instructions lol....if u read carefully i said i didnt trust myself...thats all

Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (floatfisher)

Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (neo_)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1875083
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: JDM SRS steering wheel Installation help (neo_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neo_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your airbag blows out during a steering wheel swap then you must be too dumb to follow instructions. Unplug the battery and let the car sit for a few hours. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...why let the car sit there for a few hours??? Just disconnect both positive and negative cables and touch them together. This discharges all the power in the capacitors in the car.

I never disconnect the battery though- just make sure you keep yourself grounded with no static and all is good.

I see what the tech is talking about- the cable reel isn't meant to spin more than 2 revolutions each way, but you should be fine with just that 1/4 extra turn one way.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLacK FirE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLacK FirE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1875083</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the post...the tech was ref to step 11 and 12. how can u move the cable reel when it clearly says "TOP SRS".
Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM SRS steering wheel Installation help (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
lol...why let the car sit there for a few hours??? Just disconnect both positive and negative cables and touch them together. This discharges all the power in the capacitors in the car.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I decided to keep it simple for the OP for obvious reasons. And there are many different ways you can discharge it, simply turning the key to on is another way.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so can the cable reel be adjusted to make the wheel fit with no issues?? I really want this airbag to work just incase
Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by floatfisher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so can the cable reel be adjusted to make the wheel fit with no issues?? I really want this airbag to work just incase</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you do it the way in my write up you'll be fine. I've been rolling with it like that for a year and no problems and I've never heard of any problems from people that have followed what I wrote.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLacK FirE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLacK FirE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you do it the way in my write up you'll be fine. I've been rolling with it like that for a year and no problems and I've never heard of any problems from people that have followed what I wrote.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did it his way and it took about 20 minutes and everything is cool
Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok will give it a try
Old 06-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can not remember exactly what I did 5 years ago in installing the JDM SRS MOMO. What I did was break off the 2 little tabs in the cable reel inner ring, NOT the big pins so that it the reel can rotate to accommodate the 9 and 3 o'clock tab of the steering wheel's hub so I can tight down the self locking Nut securely and plug in the SRS connector. I never had any trouble in lock to lock or signal cancellation because it fitted properly and works like a glove as OEM. Good Luck!

Modified by machgo5go at 12:20 AM 6/6/2008
Old 06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is extremely easy to install. Mine has been in for at least 8 years and I have had no issues with the SRS cable. The only thing that will be affected is the way that your directionals cancel (turn off) after making a turn. Either it will not cancel after you make a turn or it will have a tendency to cancel too soon. This doesnt really bother me though.
Good Luck
Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CWITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CWITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is extremely easy to install. Mine has been in for at least 8 years and I have had no issues with the SRS cable. The only thing that will be affected is the way that your directionals cancel (turn off) after making a turn. Either it will not cancel after you make a turn or it will have a tendency to cancel too soon. This doesnt really bother me though.
Good Luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or he can just follow my write up and that won't be a problem.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one other thing, did u guys have to reset the srs light? or it wasnt an issue?
Old 06-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Joe pm me .......I'll lend you a hand!