Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

JDM ITR Ecu Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM ITR Ecu Question

My friend is selling one from a swap. I THINK any JDM ITR swap is OBD2a is this correct? I have a USDM 98 car and I want to make sure it will work.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: JDM ITR Ecu Question

what exactly is your 1998 car? you left out a few things. if you have a 98 GSR it can be plug and play IF you use the jdm ecu. if you use a usdm ecu a few more changes have to happen. get back on what you're up to and i can let you know how it will go.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, we are in a ITR forum right? This ECU is for when/if I take my supercharger off in the future.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember running a JDM P73 on my R a few months ago. Either the crossover was very smooth or VTEC wasn't hitting. There wasn't an audible sound. No CEL either.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlueIntegraBoy
I remember running a JDM P73 on my R a few months ago. Either the crossover was very smooth or VTEC wasn't hitting. There wasn't an audible sound. No CEL either.
you can actually do this by not having it plugged in all the way. oddly won't trip a cel and vtec won't hit. car also won't rev past 7k. they are pretty punchy and there is a fairly loud crossover when it's working right. i found this out when i did my swap. drove it, wondered why it fell on its face over 6k and wouldn't rev past 7k, reclipped the vtec and bam, 8500 comes on fast
Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ultraspeed DC2
Well, we are in a ITR forum right? This ECU is for when/if I take my supercharger off in the future.
you somehow missed my point. the answer is dictated by which ecu you have, a jdm/usdm p73, which harness you have and if you could even run a usdm ecu if you had one. you would need an obd2 oil pump, cfs sensor, evap and usdm vtec. if you use the jdm ecu it's plug and play on a gsr harness. if you're supercharged you better have hondata/crome
Old 08-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
you somehow missed my point. the answer is dictated by which ecu you have, a jdm/usdm p73, which harness you have and if you could even run a usdm ecu if you had one. you would need an obd2 oil pump, cfs sensor, evap and usdm vtec. if you use the jdm ecu it's plug and play on a gsr harness. if you're supercharged you better have hondata/crome
I'm supercharged on a Crome P28 and a OBD2a -> OBD1 conversion harness because my car is a 1998 with OBD2a of course. I want the JDM ECU for when I remove the SC. My car came with a missing secondary O2 sensor and to prevent a CEL I could slap this ECU in there. My friend is selling the ECU to me dirt cheap if I want it.

It's the original motor in the car too if that helps. So nothing on the engine harness changed either.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should be able to remove your harness and slap in the jdm ecu to run it all. provided it's a gsr/type r shell. the ls/rs won't have the vtec wiring. using the jdm ecu means you don't need the second o2, a cfs, or oil pressure vtec switch
Old 08-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should be able to remove your harness and slap in the jdm ecu to run it all. provided it's a gsr/type r shell. the ls/rs won't have the vtec wiring. using the jdm ecu means you don't need the second o2, a cfs, or oil pressure vtec switch
ITS A TYPE R. JESUS CHRIST.

CJ, my old 98 was running a JDM ITR ecu, and ran perfectly fine.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eluam
I know right, haha. He was saying "you missed my point" and I didn't really know how to respond without being rude. I think I responded fairly. And I'm pretty sure I was clear too. I guess another way to ask my question is: the JDM DC2 ITR never went to OBD2b correct?

edited, added jdm

Last edited by Ultraspeed DC2; 08-01-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know right, haha. He was saying "you missed my point" and I didn't really know how to respond without being rude. I think I responded fairly. And I'm pretty sure I was clear too. I guess another way to ask my question is: the JDM DC2 ITR never went to OBD2b correct?
Fixed, and I believe you're correct. Worst case, Joe should still have my old JDM ECU you can get from him.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Better off getting a USDM Type R ECU. You will not pass inspection because the JDM ECU will not read on the OBD2 scanner.

-Bob
Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eluam

CJ, my old 98 was running a JDM ITR ecu, and ran perfectly fine.
what shell this was all going in has never been stated. i'm sorry my mind reading abilities are not as clear as some.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bluesiTYPER
Better off getting a USDM Type R ECU. You will not pass inspection because the JDM ECU will not read on the OBD2 scanner.

-Bob
not in this state, I already have my stock ecu anyways
Old 08-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what shell this was all going in has never been stated. i'm sorry my mind reading abilities are not as clear as some.
I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I apologize. Please don't take my tone in the wrong way especially with what I am going to say next. I said my car was a 98, and this is an Integra Type R forum. Therefore, 1998 Integra Type R. If anything was different I would have mentioned it. And as far as the supercharger thing. I made it pretty clear when I said "for when I remove it in the future."
Old 08-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I apologize. Please don't take my tone in the wrong way especially with what I am going to say next. I said my car was a 98, and this is an Integra Type R forum. Therefore, 1998 Integra Type R. If anything was different I would have mentioned it. And as far as the supercharger thing. I made it pretty clear when I said "for when I remove it in the future."
i kind of assumed it was, but, you said jdm r swap and a lot of people with other shells roll in asking questions n stuff
Old 08-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can actually do this by not having it plugged in all the way. oddly won't trip a cel and vtec won't hit. car also won't rev past 7k. they are pretty punchy and there is a fairly loud crossover when it's working right. i found this out when i did my swap. drove it, wondered why it fell on its face over 6k and wouldn't rev past 7k, reclipped the vtec and bam, 8500 comes on fast

I believe it was clipped all the way as it made the 'click' sound. I can't try it again since I sold the ECU.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlueIntegraBoy
I believe it was clipped all the way as it made the 'click' sound. I can't try it again since I sold the ECU.
it's also possible the vtec isn't mechanically engaging but there is no electronic fault. if you ever run into this again i would check wiring and check the solenoid
Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe all JDM ITR ECUs are OBD2a style plugs hence it will work with your 98 chassis. In terms of VTEC, i can't remember anymore but doesn't VTEC in JDM motors operates differently? They don't have a pressure switch or something.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i kind of assumed it was, but, you said jdm r swap and a lot of people with other shells roll in asking questions n stuff
He said his friend was selling an ECU from a JDM ITR swap. He never said he had a swap. If you also look in his signature, he has his possible badge number listed there. There isn't any mind reading needed if you look at context clues, which is learned in basic English.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's also possible the vtec isn't mechanically engaging but there is no electronic fault. if you ever run into this again i would check wiring and check the solenoid
My VTEC works with my chipped P28
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

P73s and their OBD pin designations... https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/count-ing-itr-ecus-p73-2067011/

JDM Rs remained OBD2a.
JDM P73s run a base code very similer to OBD1 ECUs, very little diagnostic abilities (and requirements) compared to USDM ECUs.