Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 07:51 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo.

Today I made all the preperations needed to do SERIOUS car shopping, the kind where you potentially drive home with a different car, not just browsing around. The Mitsubishi dealer I went to only gives test drives after a commitment to buy has been made. Me purchasing an Evo today was essentially dependant on 3 things:

1) Whether they'd give me more/equal what I owe on the R on a trade in.
2) If it drove better/faster than the R.
3) If the girlfriend liked it more than the R.

So sitting around at work today after recieving a decently phat bonus for a recent project I finished way ahead of schedule I decided maybe I'd look in to getting an Evo, since everyone seems to be raving about how great they are. I call around the area, and find a dealership that has some to look at...

After figuring out MSRP, taxes, delivery, what I hoped to get for my trade in, and about an average interest rate, I transferred the money I'd need to make the down payment needed to get the monthly payments I wanted. So obviously I was at least semi-serious about buying. (Even though I was just bored at work and like calculating stuff like that and playing with my online banking... besides the point )

I have never been treated more horribly by any salesman than I was by all the salesmen at the Mitsubishi dealer.

First of all, the car was marked up $5k over MSRP through spoiler addons, pin striping, a $300 emergency brake handle, $400 sport pedals, and my favorite $1000 worth of fabric protection. It wasn't a bad looking car, the hood looked kind of cool, with a very agressive look/feel to it overall... But this kind of price gouging is ridiculous.

Upon explaining to the guy how extremely interested I was in purchasing the car TODAY, but wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP he began to backpeddle saying how he can remove the e-brake handle and wash off the fabric protectant. At this point I knew I was not only getting nowhere, but dealing with the purest form of car salesmen scum. I kept wanting him to unlock the doors of the car, or let me drive until we went and 'talked numbers'. I later discovered this meant 'agree to buy the car'.

Going back and forth for a while about how assinine I thought it was that they weren't letting serious buyers test drive a car before they agree to purchase it, I explain that I've read on various forums people test driving evos, and if he didn't want my business, I would go elsewhere. He proceeds to laugh in my face, and walk me up to the receptionist counter, where the rest of the sales team laughed at the thought of anyone test driving such a "rare and fine automobile" (their words).

So I asked the salesman I was dealing with who the hell would buy a car they haven't drove, and to this, he replied: "Seems like lots of parents are coming in here buying them for their kids."

I hate Naperville.

There's a lot more to this whole rant, but most of it is irrelevant, and I'm too pissed off to conitnue dwelling on it. The point of the matter is I'll be staying in Camp ITR at least until the STi is released, as Mitsubishi has lost my business for life.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo. (io_burn)

gee, thats a shame.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, it must've been so hard not to go off on them bastards. forget them and keep the R or get the STi.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Screw that salesman.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

QUOTE: wash off the fabric protectant QUOTE

WTF?!? Wash off the precious "$1000 protectant?" For some reason, the guy obviously didn't take you seriously, he doesn't deserve the commission from your purchase.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo. (Jackson4Door)

I find it funny that you haven't had your R more than 6-8 months and you are already trying to find something better.

Once you have gone to a track or autox just once (especially track), you have a different understanding/apprectiation of what you purchased and why it is a special car considering the price.

Now, of course you can't take an Evo for a test drive on a road course, but once you've been out on the track in any car, you can get a sense how a car will do since you have some high-performance driving under your belt.

Anyhoo, just go buy another car since you are not happy with the R.

and if all that ain't for you, or doesn't even interest you, i have nothing to say.

but i can remember starting at least in november last year that you were talking about the 350Z, STi and evo. I don't get why you bought the R if you have nothing much good to say about it and are ready to jump to a more expensive car.

I digress... back to looking for a beater.

Sorry to hear about the salesman, they are retarded. And he was 2x more retarded than the average saleman.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo. (Chris N)

It seems like all car salesmen are the same, knowing half of the brochure about the vehicle that they intend to sell. Then, on top of that, are around each dealership for 6 months or so, then you see them next door at the next dealership. It's almost like they are "thrown back into circulation". Horrible, horrible business. It's not just the Mitsubishi dealership, when the Honda S2000 was released, they pulled the same markup mumbo-jumbo-no-test-drive-crap as well.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:17 PM
New User

It's more a matter of 6-8 months ago when I bought the R I was making decent money at a low-end tech job, times have changed, a job change and a few promotions later... I feel like I want to drive more than a Honda. *shrug* If the STi doesn't suit my fancy I'll probably just get a decked out RX330.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that's a rough deal you had at the dealership. My brother never really had a chance to test drive his S2k or M3 before buying them either. I do understand where the dealership is comming from (which does not make how they treated you okay) in terms of giving out testdrives. Everyone wants to test drive them, so unless they get money into their account it's not going to happen on a vehicle like this.

This is what I would do in your position. Call around to the various dealerships in your town. Talk to a salesman at each of them and give them your contact information. Tell them to call you when they are willing to sell for MSRP and just wait. It may be 6 months or even a year before you get a call but eventually THEY WILL call you. The Lancer just came out so they can price gouge for a while.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by io_burn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's more a matter of 6-8 months ago when I bought the R I was making decent money at a low-end tech job, times have changed, a job change and a few promotions later... I feel like I want to drive more than a Honda. *shrug* If the STi doesn't suit my fancy I'll probably just get a decked out RX330. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if a Honda isn't good enough for you, no reason to hang around here. Also, since when was a Subaru or Mitsubishi better than a Honda?...... last i checked they all are mass producers of economy cars.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Trial User

Default Re: I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo. (Keyed ITR)

If you have your eye on an Evo, keep shopping around. Find a dealer that will treat you with respect and buy the car from them. Then, take it back to the first dealer and let the salesguy know that he lost the commission.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:23 PM

I'm NOT surprise you got such a treatment from the Mitsubishi salesman
Those fuvking greedy people has been waiting for this chance (high mark up) for many yrs....... They ask 5K above MSRP in my area too, they let me to sit in the car only after I agree not to touch anything (include the shifter) WTF.

Most average American will not think a 30K+ "Mitsubishi" is worth the money.......US auto market consumer is pretty bais on brand name and in my opinion, "Mitsubishi" is not anywhere near Acura, BMW, Jag, Bnez.....etc.

We all know what a history EVO had......but try to go ask that to an average Joe, they will think the Evo is just a car with a big spoiler.

If you plan to buy that car.......just wait a little longer, I'm sure the price (or the mark up) will come down.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo. (Floyd)

Yes keep shopping around, go out of state if you have to. Here in Memphis the Subaru and Mitsu dealers are horrible. When I get my next car I am going to call around within a 500 mile radius and get everything worked out ahead of time and get the damn car delivered with the options I want on it. Its not hard to do, you just have to find the right dealership to work with.

There are good dealerships, its just they are very hard to find. The Acura dealership here is world-class and that's why I bought my car from them.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo. (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by io_burn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's more a matter of 6-8 months ago when I bought the R I was making decent money at a low-end tech job, times have changed, a job change and a few promotions later... I feel like I want to drive more than a Honda. *shrug* If the STi doesn't suit my fancy I'll probably just get a decked out RX330. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So basically you are driving a car for status. Better get another car.

Most people don't drive an R because of the name on the car, they drive it because of what it can do.

R owners in particular just like to share their enthusiasm about the car they have and its capabilities, not wallow in the fact that they own a mere honda and mull over what their next, more socially advanced car they will own.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:29 PM
New User

Well, as the sig says...
Old 05-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by io_burn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> He proceeds to laugh in my face, and walk me up to the receptionist counter, where the rest of the sales team laughed at the thought of anyone test driving such a "rare and fine automobile" (their words).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That makes me laugh..."rare and fine automobile". Shoulda told them that the EVO is the only decent car they have, and if it wasn't brought over, they'd have ****.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'd be suprised how many very knowledgable people's toes (toes of people that are here often) you are stepping on with that statement.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:34 PM
New User

I was referring to the hunk of metal I drive to work. I don't have the time or desire to have a car be any more to me than that... Now my computer on the other hand is a different story. Just because I have different interests from you doesn't make me a dumb ***.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by io_burn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was referring to the hunk of metal I drive to work. I don't have the time or desire to have a car be any more to me than that... Now my computer on the other hand is a different story. Just because I have different interests from you doesn't make me a dumb ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats funny is he takes the time to post about his car and life. He even lists his car by year, color and number. Yeah, I bet its just been a chunk of metal that he drives, more like a booster seat.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:39 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whats funny is he takes the time to post about his car and life. He even lists his car by year, color and number. Yeah, I bet its just been a chunk of metal that he drives, more like a booster seat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's easy enough not to click on my threads, no?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I clicked on an OT thread in the R forum to see what comments someone had about the Evo. As the thread progressed I came to realize that you are a poser and felt the need to say so. Simple as that.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess you guys just want to argue something, but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to buy and drive and test a lot of cars. This debate about ITR appreciation is pointless imo. As an ITR owner I would like it if more people hade more enthusiasm for ITR's, and appreciate the time and dedication that many owners put into their cars, but I don't expect them to. I'm enjoying my ITR and others subjective opinions are never going to change my mind about that. =P
Old 05-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What an *******. I hate people like that. They think they know everything about a specific car and when it comes down to it they know a whole lot of nothing.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:47 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I clicked on an OT thread in the R forum to see what comments someone had about the Evo. As the thread progressed I came to realize that you are a poser and felt the need to say so. Simple as that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh sweet, so I'm a double poser since I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee too that I don't go off-roading with every day after work. Oh ****, and while I'm at it, I better stay the hell away from my Mountain Bike, because I'm also a poser if that thing doesn't see trails at least three times a week. So really I'm a triple poser.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would write a detailed letter to Mitsu explaining your experience at their dealership, and how those particular salesmen treated you.

Im sure it wont go overlooked. Salesman are the direct contact to customers for a car company. If the salesman are turning people away from their cars, that has to be remedied.

And who knows, you may get a nice letter back with an invitation to test drive any Evo you want at the dealership, along with a nice rebate check upon purchase of the Evo. Its worth a shot.

Quick Reply: I will NOT be purchasing a Mitsubishi Evo.