Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Hey guys which angle is right for looking at the timing pointer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys which angle is right for looking at the timing pointer

I am trying to get my timing set correctly, I am doing every thing right with the jumper and everything but the only thing that i am not sure of is the correct way to look at the pointer on the plastic. My 90 Integ pointer was a little different.

I have a 2001 ITR and just like to know should u be looking down at the pointer standing in front of the car or standing by the fender.

Any help is appericated
Old 04-14-2002, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hey guys which angle is right for looking at the timing pointer (NeXtLeVeL_TyPe_R)

I stand by the fender to look at it,
BUT, it shouldn't matter.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:31 AM
New User

Default Re: Hey guys which angle is right for looking at the timing pointer (00-ITR-373)

Right in front of the fender/wheel is where I stand too....
Old 04-14-2002, 10:43 AM
CPR

Default Re: Hey guys which angle is right for looking at the timing pointer (NeXtLeVeL_TyPe_R)

You should look at it so that the pointer is in 2D and not 3D. In other words, you should only be seeing the triangle on top of the pointer.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hey guys which angle is right for looking at the timing pointer (00-ITR-373)

I stand by the fender to look at it,
BUT, it shouldn't matter.

yes, it does matter. you can be off a few degrees if you don't line it up perfectly. in my opinion, looking at the pointer from the correct angle is crucial to setting the timing correctly.

you're right, it is difficult to see just where the pointer is. first, use the timing gun and flash the timing pointer on that cover that you are supposed to line up with the timing mark on the crank. move the gun around until you can see the pointer very clearly. if you look at it closely, you can see that it is actually a long mark and not just small point of plastic. because it is a long mark, it actually has a ridge to it a few inches long. now, move the gun forward and back while looking at the shadow of that ridge. if you are too much on one side of mark, you will see a shadow on the other side. keep on moving the gun back and forth until you find a point where there is no shadow on either side of the timing pointer. that is the angle you should be setting your timing from.

once I get that reference point, I use a grease pencil and mark something in the area that I can use as a reference to line up the pointer and the grease pencil mark next time I want to check the timing.

also, advancing the timing to 18d btdc is one of the best things you can do for the car. I think people say they don't think it's worth it is because they don't take the time to set it correctly and end up with some setting that is way off from what is supposed to be. I beleive a lot has to do with this issue of not looking at the pointer from the correct/exact angle.

good luck. I think you'll notice a diff if you are not set to 18d right now.