Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

HELP!!! My R is throwing a code and I don't know why...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! My R is throwing a code and I don't know why...

*Sorry if this is too long, but I had to put in the details:

To make a long story short, I did a fuel system cleaning and oil change on friday. I used different plugs during the FI cleaning so my plugs didn't foul out then replaced the original ones. The engine threw a code because of the cleaning but was immediately reset with a diagnostic tool. Well, I just got back from a 300mi, 5 hour road trip and when I turned the motor off and started it again right after, the "MAITENANCE REQUUIRED" light flashed and beeped exactly ten times then prompty stopped. It does this now every time I start my R. The engine seems perfectly fine with no noises or vibration. At the time I turned the engine off and got the code, I thought I smelt something burning (clutch smell), but that could have been my imagination. PLEASE HELP!!! I don't know what to do and I don't wanna damage the car any further if the engine is screwed up, but this car is my only one and I need it operational. Thanks for any help guys!
Old 11-14-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! My R is throwing a code and I don't know why... (REDTOPAlchemy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REDTOPAlchemy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">*Sorry if this is too long, but I had to put in the details:

To make a long story short, I did a fuel system cleaning and oil change on friday. I used different plugs during the FI cleaning so my plugs didn't foul out then replaced the original ones. The engine threw a code because of the cleaning but was immediately reset with a diagnostic tool. Well, I just got back from a 300mi, 5 hour road trip and when I turned the motor off and started it again right after, the "MAITENANCE REQUUIRED" light flashed and beeped exactly ten times then prompty stopped. It does this now every time I start my R. The engine seems perfectly fine with no noises or vibration. At the time I turned the engine off and got the code, I thought I smelt something burning (clutch smell), but that could have been my imagination. PLEASE HELP!!! I don't know what to do and I don't wanna damage the car any further if the engine is screwed up, but this car is my only one and I need it operational. Thanks for any help guys! </TD></TR></TABLE>

No worries man, the "Maintenance required" light goes on periodically, signaling that you should get an oil change. It's a reminder light only.

There's a reset button under the dash, that you can reach with your right hand from the driver seat. It's a few inches right of the steering column. Hold that button for a few seconds with your ignition on and it will stay off for another few thousand miles.

-Chris
Old 11-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! My R is throwing a code and I don't know why... (ccfries)

Holy ****! Thanks so much man. That light had me freaking out. I will try the reset. Just one additional question. I thought the light was serious because when I pulled into my driveway after driving 300 miles, I meant to leave the engine running for a bit but, out of habit, I turned the key to kill the motor, I only turned it a little when I realized I wanted the engine to keep running but the motor stopped anyway. Think of it as a "half-***" motor shutdown. Is there any such thing and could this be detremental to the motor? Sorry for the stupid question but I had to ask to ease my mind. Thanks again guys for your help!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!!! My R is throwing a code and I don't know why... (REDTOPAlchemy)

You should be fine. Just change your oil and all that stuff.

BTW, what you described isn't a code. It's your maint. required light. A code is when the "check engine" light comes on, and then you'll need a dealership (or someone with the right tools) to tell you what code it's throwing.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! My R is throwing a code and I don't know why... (Ross R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ross R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should be fine. Just change your oil and all that stuff.

BTW, what you described isn't a code. It's your maint. required light. A code is when the "check engine" light comes on, and then you'll need a dealership (or someone with the right tools) to tell you what code it's throwing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to include that information originally. Thanks guys!
Old 11-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccfries &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No worries man, the "Maintenance required" light goes on periodically, signaling that you should get an oil change. It's a reminder light only.

There's a reset button under the dash, that you can reach with your right hand from the driver seat. It's a few inches right of the steering column. Hold that button for a few seconds with your ignition on and it will stay off for another few thousand miles.

-Chris
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry for the inconvienience, but I cannot find the reset button you are referring to. Can you give a little more specific location. Near the firewall? Color? Size? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NEVERMIND!!! Found it!
Old 11-14-2004, 03:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REDTOPAlchemy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NEVERMIND!!! Found it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet. I didn't want to have to get my *** up off of the couch to make a picture. hehehe.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:02 PM

which one is the "maintenance required" light ???
Old 11-14-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: HELP!!! My R is throwing a code and I don't know why... (I See Dead People)

It says "Maint Reqd" or something. By temp gauge.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:14 PM

Yea that light reads nothing. It will just come on at certain intervals.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (vtec87)

aight thanks for that ccfries
Old 11-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe...maintenance required, is only a suggestion. does not indicate anything wrong. (as ccfries pointed out)

but, if it makes you feel better, you have my permission to push the eject button, located to the left of the steering column. your car may not be equipped with it, however.