Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

A guide to passing salvage inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A guide to passing salvage inspection

I recently went through the NJ salvage inspection process and I'd like to share my experience with you all. I'm sure it can help people considering doing this for the first time. Laws and inspection processes vary from state to state (even though Federal law still trumps all??) so check with your state for specific laws.

**If you've gone through the process and feel like chiming in, give some details about your ordeal and the state it happened in**

I'll start by saying YOU NEED THE THEFT/RECOVERY or ACCIDENT REPORTS!!!! If you are buying the car from an insurance company that shouldn't be a problem but I bought it private party without those documents and it was Hell trying to get that information. Privacy Acts will slow anyone down and I'll admit that if it wasn't for some really nice people along the way; giving out information that they shouldn't have, I'd still be hunting.

Ok, the seller has those documents, it's time to check vin numbers EVERYWHERE. Mine was lucky enough to have all of it's original body panels. But if you see vins that don't match or are missing, you are going to need a notarized bill of sale from the seller (with their DL#) including all the vin numbers, where they were aquired and that the seller personally installed them. (Otherwise you will need a receipt from the shop that did the work as well) Some states check the airbag vins as well, good luck to you all (not NJ)

Take pictures of the car from all angles making sure the car doesn't get cut off in the picture and include pictures of what's missing/damaged.
**your theft/recovery report can be used if your car is already assembled in place of "before" pictures

Time to buy parts!! If you buy new/used parts from businesses hold onto the receipts. If you purchased used parts from private parties you will again need notarized bills of sale (this becomes a theme)

Next I went online and printed out the required forms and went to the DMV to transfer the title into my name. The title was now in my name and the form I filled out was signed by the DMV. I had to go home and fax those to the closest salvage inspection site. Don't wait for them to call you, they won't. Schedule a date for your appointment that you KNOW your car will be 100%.

Now that the car is together and your appointment is coming up it's time to organize your receipts/paperwork. Put the receipts for major parts (body panels,engine/trans) with your title,inspection form and save all the minor receipts as back ups in case they ask. I made the mistake of handing them every receipt for every nut and bolt..believe me, they check them all and get angry when they have to check pointless parts. The site will need to see "after" photos so take them with pride!! Make sure you have receipts for any paint/body/mechanical work that was done to the car. If you do the work yourself you will need a notarized bill of sale stating you installed everything, with vins the parts provided, date(s) installed, your DL#, where the work was done and obviously the vin of the car that all this is happening to.

My state allows insured cars to get a 5 day temp. transit registration that will allow you to drive the car to the inspection site. A dealer plate will work as well if you want to drive. If the car doesn't have insurance yet (what the F* is wrong with you) the car can be towed to the site.

Inspection time, the drive there was so amazing!! I took the day off work so I could pass and then spend the day driving around. I had everything in order (or so I thought) and showed up on time with a smile. You are not allowed to see the inspection process and it takes a minimum of an hour. I needed to use the bathroom badly enough to allow me a peak and they had taken it apart to check all the vins.

Over an hour later I was given paperwork telling me that I failed for having a JDM version of the ITR engine and would need to replace it with a USDM version same model year or newer. JDM engines haven't passed federal emmissions testing and aren't considered legal. JDM's also don't have proper vin numbers and without knowing the exact car it came out of in Japan you don't have much hope there. The DMV knows all, but they don't care to do that research for you and it is impossible otherwise.

JDM transmissions don't have a vin tag either, so I printed out old posts on the subject and was allowed to keep the transmission (only because I had a receipt too)

I searched my butt off looking for a legit USDM 00-01 ITR engine (met some cool people along the way) and finally found one. I picked it up, dropped it in and was ready to get re-inspected. I had to go back to the bank, get another notarized document stating I removed the JDM and installed the USDM engine before I could go back.

I re-scheduled, got a new 5day registration and finally passed!!!

If anyone has any questions, let me know...do your own research as well, don't solely rely on this as states vary to some degree
Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A guide to passing salvage inspection

omg i dont want to read it all
ok FCKING gay about the engine
Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you passed the inspections. What does your title say? Reconstructed, rebuilt, exct? Also, if you were to sell your car, would the next owner have to go through this process again?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blkteg21
Glad you passed the inspections. What does your title say? Reconstructed, rebuilt, exct? Also, if you were to sell your car, would the next owner have to go through this process again?
When I first got my salvage title, the word salvage took up most of the page in red letters. Once I passed the inspection, my title is basically the same as any other title in NJ, except I have an "r" in the suffix margin.

Now the car can be sold and easily titled/registered as any other car
Old 11-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully your process eases the minds of other's that are looking into purchasing a car that has gone through the inspection process, and has had the salvage brand lifted from the title. Thank's for sharing.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to go through AZ level 3 inspection with mine.. wish me luck..
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blkteg21
Hopefully your process eases the minds of other's that are looking into purchasing a car that has gone through the inspection process, and has had the salvage brand lifted from the title. Thank's for sharing.
I hope this post helps others too! When I posted this, I intended it to be used by people considering or in the process of having their car inspected. You have a very good point about easing peoples' minds about buying theft recoveries that have already passed inspection. Lots of money and completely legit parts went into putting them back together.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Jey
Trial User

Hey I'm new on this site. I bought an 03 accord coupe v6 6mt w/ Salvage title from a private owner. The car was already repaired so I went through the same problems you did in getting the paperwork.

I'm also in NJ. I wanted to know which salvage inspection station you went to?

Did you have to pay the 200 fee over again the second time?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make this a sticky.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will share my point of view in the next few months in regards to this thread. I will be personally going through this in CA due to the accident my R was in. So I will add onto this thread.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now what do you do for purchases from junkyards?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Superfly

Is this just for New Jersey or for all 50 states?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man, i would have just punched the number 5 in your jdm engine. that was a lot of time and money.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shahriar35
Now what do you do for purchases from junkyards?
When I purchased parts from a Junk Yard I asked for the donor cars' vin number to be put on the receipt. I know in my case that they called the yard to verify as well. Good luck in Cali..let us know how it goes
Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Samuraij
Is this just for New Jersey or for all 50 states?
The inspection process varies a little state to state but they all follow Federal Laws (to different extents). There are a few states that are tougher than NJ and some states that pass through easier.
From what I've been told at the DMV, NJ follows Federal Laws closely.

The basic lessons learned from my first post should help people all over the country, whether they are considering/going through the process OR putting peoples minds' at ease when considering the purchase of a rebuilt titled car.

I've been PM'ing eveyone that has questions, so keep asking...and if this has been helpful to you vote it for a sticky!!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This should be a sticky. Great Information.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about Fed law,but I have an inspection station and Texas has reduced the process to; the owner brings in a one page form to me with very few blanks on it. I'm just required to see a vin (usually on the dash) and perform a basic safety inspection,(regular mvi,we don't even check emissions in this county) apply an inspection sticker, and they're off to the Title office. It's unbelievable.
I purchased a salvage EF in the late 90's (Dallas) and the seller told me he had to get an inspection at the Highway Patrol station for ~$500, so the first time someone brought one of these forms to my station, I laughed at them. I proceeded to call the DPS station and was told the system had changed. He said to perform the inspection and that's all. Unreal. I've done 2 this year.
Chop shops must be thrilled with this new system.
On the other hand, I thank God regularly for the last remnants of freedom we enjoy in the Great State of Texas. We have a free trade zone still where you can buy/sell parts among the communities and enjoy them. Screw engine/tranny vins.
I doubt that the stringent rules prevent theft to any noticeable degree anyway. Only to frustrate the hell out of mostly good people who are car enthusiasts like you. If the parts are stolen, the thieves must of gotten away with it and trashing the parts is just a waste. Let that engine live!
Spend some more time catching car thieves and less time packing subguns looking for weed, lol.

btw...what happened to the JDM R? I'd love to have it.