Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

GSR spoiler on ITR

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR spoiler on ITR

Would it be possible to mount a GSR wing w/o drilling a third hole into the sheet metal of the hatch?? I know dropspeed has done this in the past, but I haven't seen any other member attempt this. If anyone has any valuable input w/ regards to pulling this off I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I'm aware I'll lose about 10hp by doing this and I'm willing to accept that.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: GSR spoiler on ITR

are you serious with this question??
well slap it on, along with a sunroof and remove the type r stickers so they wont steal it.
it will look sick!! jdm!!
you, are about to get chewed up.....
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR spoiler on ITR

Look man, I've been around here alot longer than you. I could give a rats *** what anyone thinks about the appearance of my car. Just as long as it's still in the garage in the morning, I'm all set.

Now on to the question, any input is appreciated
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that third hole is for the third brake light. Just cut the wire and be the first.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Painfully Stupid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the most ridiculous way to avoid theft, to downgrade your ITR to a GS-R. I wake up everyday and see a beautiful PY ITR in my garage, with a goofy ITR spoilier on it. You might as well buy a GS-R to lock in your garage. And yes, you've been on here a lot longer then I have.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EL TYPE R
are you serious with this question??
well slap it on, along with a sunroof and remove the type r stickers so they wont steal it.
it will look sick!! jdm!!
wtf? what a douche bro
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTEC_Club
that third hole is for the third brake light. Just cut the wire and be the first.
I was always under the impression that the GSR wing was 3 pronged and ITR was 2 pronged?? Because the ppl that go GSR to ITR have 2 holes to seal
Old 01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=PaulMc;41127292]You might as well buy a GS-R to lock in your garage. QUOTE]

LoL, I already have a 99' GSR in my garage, but thx for the bright idea
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: GSR spoiler on ITR

Originally Posted by pi Ka chuuu
wtf? what a douche bro
i was being sarcastic, dumb ***...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RGoose18
I was always under the impression that the GSR wing was 3 pronged and ITR was 2 pronged?? Because the ppl that go GSR to ITR have 2 holes to seal
no, both 2 prong.

to the OP, your car, do what you like. just avoid any mod that can not easily be returned to stock.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
no, both 2 prong.

to the OP, your car, do what you like. just avoid any mod that can not easily be returned to stock.
Yeah, that's my idea on this one.

I personally think the stock wing is a bit boy-raceresque and I may be getting a bit too old for that scene. I hate wingless and have always wanted a sleeper R. Somewhat ironic because back when I had my PY I was the one screaming at ppl for taking off their wing.

Looks like having the brake light in the GSR wing will cost me a drill hole in the hatch. I was hoping I could macgyver something together on this one.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your question is not crazy or stupid in the slightest. You would not be the first to have done this, and modifying your car to avoid the obvious is a good idea. What i do have to remind you of is that your car is YELLOW, which screams Type R and unfortunately also screams steal me.

If CW or black you'd be much better off, but that is not the case. I'd also like to add that the cleaner your car, the more attention you will bring to it. Most ITR owners are pretty conscious of the cleanliness of their vehicle, at least it seems that way. The only R an thief is going to accidentally overlook, which is the idea here, is one that shows signs of daily use, has been debadged, is wingless, and steelies are nice and NON-blingish.

My honest suggestion is that if you aren't going to go all out with the idea, which still isn't a guarantee, i wouldn't waste the time or money. Being that you have a PY, and don't daily drive the car, it sounds as if you should leave the car as is. The sh!theads stealing hondas aren't going to overlook a yellow integra bc you've put a GSR wing on it.

In most cases, the guys who have their ITRs stolen have been tracked and watched for weeks and often times months. Again, it is a good idea, but you aren't going to accomplish what you'd like to.

My $.02 .
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For some reason, they put an extra fastener on the left side of the GSR wing. Just remove them. Are you doing this for looks? My understanding is that the GSR wing is merely aesthetic.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EL TYPE R
Not every response to an unusual question has to result in negativity or flamming. I admire the OP for having the guts to ask a question he may have been uncomfortable asking. Not everyone in here is the same age, with the same experience or knowledge of owning an R. Rather than make him feel uncomfortable about what he posted, why not try and respond with a tone that lets him know you care about his question and that you'd like to try and help point him in the right direction?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought about this also. I was gonna peel all the stickers off and lose the spoiler. But in the end the car would still be PY lol.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by thundernoodle
I thought about this also. I was gonna peel all the stickers off and lose the spoiler. But in the end the car would still be PY lol.
Honestly, in the end the average "Honda" person today will accuse you of painting your GSR or LS yellow to look like an ITR. You know how ignorant some folks are nowadays.

I always liked the look of the GSR spoiler, but it is not a direct bolt-on and unfortunately some items need to be modified if you are to make it 100% OEM fitment on an R. To be honest, you'd be better off going totally wingless if you don't like the OEM ITR spoiler.

I tried that look for a while, but in the end I ended up putting it back on. The car is always locked up and disabled, so it served me no purpose either way.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can remove the brake light harness (2 wires).

Each side is mounted by the same 2 posts as an ITR spoiler, but one side also has a 3rd post that anchors into the hatch. There is nothing to tighten it down with though, so, just remove that part by cutting, grinding, breaking, or whatever. Then you'll have 4 posts and no anchor, ready to roll.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todd00
Honestly, in the end the average "Honda" person today will accuse you of painting your GSR or LS yellow to look like an ITR. You know how ignorant some folks are nowadays.

I always liked the look of the GSR spoiler, but it is not a direct bolt-on and unfortunately some items need to be modified if you are to make it 100% OEM fitment on an R. To be honest, you'd be better off going totally wingless if you don't like the OEM ITR spoiler.

I tried that look for a while, but in the end I ended up putting it back on. The car is always locked up and disabled, so it served me no purpose either way.
lol i get accused even with all the ITR stuff. theres a kid in another town with a painted LS. 4 lug, sunroof and all and claims it to be an ITR.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jon D
Not every response to an unusual question has to result in negativity or flamming. I admire the OP for having the guts to ask a question he may have been uncomfortable asking. Not everyone in here is the same age, with the same experience or knowledge of owning an R. Rather than make him feel uncomfortable about what he posted, why not try and respond with a tone that lets him know you care about his question and that you'd like to try and help point him in the right direction?
i strongly agree with whats said above! we need more positive input in this forum.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by mugenr#1011
i strongly agree with whats said above! we need more positive input in this forum.
I completely agree in this case as this mod could potentially serve a purpose to keep an R safe and/or to make it less noticable.

However, the flaming on other posts, such as folks asking about ITR parts fitting onto their LS, should be kept up as-is.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todd00

However, the flaming on other posts, such as folks asking about ITR parts fitting onto their LS, should be kept up as-is.
For the record, i completely agree with this.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey sorry guys, forgot to mention, my R is not yellow anymore, sold 00-1329 a few years back. I'm rocking FBP now.

I completely agree that a PY R w/ a GSR spoiler is a bit stupid. I'm basically trying to make my R look as much like a GSR as possible. I only drive the R because of the performance aspects and fun factor. Having a debadged R, w/ a GSR spoiler will thwart some of the attention that I used to getting, good or bad. For me, it's very much worth it and when it comes time to sell it can be a bone stock R in 2 hours.

On a sidenote........Thank god for members like Jon D that still hang around here, you really are an asset to this forum.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This sounds like a good idea but won't any thieves worth their salt notice the 5 lug pattern? It seems like in the end this is going to be a dead giveaway no matter what changes are made.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by herdofcaribou
This sounds like a good idea but won't any thieves worth their salt notice the 5 lug pattern? It seems like in the end this is going to be a dead giveaway no matter what changes are made.
R or GS-R the thief is going to steal it anyway if he want to

but ... looks good w/o spoiler anyway

Old 01-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

How about buying the hatch off a front end collision GS-R? I'm assuming it will bolt on. Not sure if GS-Rs came in FBP though so it might be a pain to color match a GS-R hatch.

Quick Reply: GSR spoiler on ITR