Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes.....

Well, I dyno'd my hatch for a baseline recently and thought I'd share the experience with you guys.

Specs:

b18c5 from an '00 itr
toda valvesprings
portflow Ti retainers
Power Enterprise timing belt
hondata intake manifold gasket installed in RACE trim
hytech header
2.5" custom exhaust tubing with 2 resonators, which exits behind passenger's door
no power steering
A/C installed, but not running during testing
short ram intake
hondata s200 with vtec set at 3500 and rev limiter at 9k

This motor previously had toda spec b cams in it and dyno'd at 188-191whp when it was in my itr with P/S. I have since sold those cams and brought the motor back to stock until I have time to install and tune the toda spec c's that are waiting to go in. I have every intention of adding itb's to this motor eventually, but wanted to get a baseline before the next round of mods.

I only took two runs with wideband sampling:

run 1 - 170whp (with aem style short ram intake)
run 2 - 178whp (with greddy airinx short ram intake)

The plots for both runs were very smooth. Tq was a very straight line, with hp steadily climbing. It was interesting to note how the greddy intake made more hp from 6k to redline. A/F was between 13.5:1 - 14:1 for both runs.

Plots:

AEM short ram in BLUE
GREDDY short ram in RED

The funny thing is that I won the dyno contest for NA 4cyl class. So I have a neat plaque to show for it. They said I made 99whp/ liter.

.....and for comparison's sake, here's another dyno I went to using a while before in my integra with nearly identical mods - except it had an aem cai:

This is stock ecu (run 7) vs vafc tuning (run 21) vs hondata baseline with DSR map.
Stock vtec crossover vs 3800 on vafc, vs 5200 on hondata.

{EDIT} plots added {/EDIT}

Modified by Black R at 11:53 AM 7/14/2004
Old 06-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (Black R)

Just out of curiosity, what was the peak torque between the 2 intakes?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (rodrez)

Sometimes I wonder if I should run the Mugen intake as a short ram.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (rodrez)

peak torque was 122 on the aem style short ram, and 130 on the greddy.

Looking at the graphs, the tq and hp of the greddy intake was higher from 2k-3700, and then again it really had a bigger delta from 5600 to 9k.

zyg, I honestly think you have the second best intake on the market if you have the mugen - although a test of it with and without the snorkel would be interesting.....

(toda is the #1 intake, imho..... )
Old 06-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (Black R)

Ken,

Don't put all your faith in dyno results for a CAI. You don't have airflow over the car plus I don't think you are running down the highway with your hood open. Just do the timed acceleration tests between the 2 intakes and that will give the the correct information you're looking for.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (SMSP)

I wasn't aware that greddy made an intake can you post a link to this intake or some pictures?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (SMSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SMSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ken,

Don't put all your faith in dyno results for a CAI. You don't have airflow over the car plus I don't think you are running down the highway with your hood open. Just do the timed acceleration tests between the 2 intakes and that will give the the correct information you're looking for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dave, I didn't dyno any cai's... only two different short rams. I just have the printout of the graphs at this point, but the shop is supposed to email me the actual files so I can compare them with my runviewer. I'll have more quantitative data after that.

The greddy intake I used was actually just the greddy elbow and greddy airinx filter from my greddy turbo kit (which I currently am not using). I just bolted the short ram part on my throttle body to see if it would make gains over the aem style short ram.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">peak torque was 122 on the aem style short ram, and 130 on the greddy.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoa

Modified by rodrez at 11:32 PM 6/28/2004
Old 06-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait let me get this straight, so you just put the greddy filter on the end of your sort ram intake with out the elbo that was included with your turbo kit?
also I couldn't find any thing on the toda intake, is it new?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the location of the Greddy filter was under and/or behind the placement of a strut tower brace?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nihilation)

I saw Ken's car tonite; the intake was postioned right behind the radiator.

The Airinx looks like this:

He just stuck it on the AEM piping.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nihilation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nihilation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the location of the Greddy filter was under and/or behind the placement of a strut tower brace?</TD></TR></TABLE>

greddy airinx filter + greddy intake piping (~3" ID) + silicone sleeve to stock itr TB.

Location = stockish.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Re: (Black R)

Your numbers seem low for the aem run

Have you ever tried the Apex-i filter?

Need pics
Old 06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
K1R

nice test cotton vs foam

wondering which greddy filter you have big or small??

the same "silicone sleeve to stock itr TB" used on both runs??

Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (2kgs-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2kgs-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also I couldn't find any thing on the toda intake, is it new?</TD></TR></TABLE>

toda "intake:"

http://www.todaracing.com/prod....html

I have no idea which greddy airinx intake I used... it was whichever has a 3" inner diameter.....

And in defense of the aem style short ram - the filter is a generic k&n style one that has been cleaned but not oiled. I dunno if that hinders it's performance. They both seemed to be better than a stock filter - although by how much I can't confirm at this time...
Old 06-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those are called individual throttle bodies homie not an intake.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:18 AM

Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (2kgs-R)

that toda intake mani rockkk!!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:20 AM

Location: Bitch Slapping Your Ass Around The Twisties n Doin, it Doggy style At a theater near you
Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (ek4hatch)

im surprised, greddy? wtf? haahaha
I wanna try ITB's on my S2k.

(incase you guys were wondering, im not on the s2k forum cause there's not much **** on there and im still all about an R)
Old 06-29-2004, 07:12 AM

Ken-

Snap some pictures of what that looks like. Maybe you can help Shane with the ghetto fab on his intake..lol
Old 06-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jenvey "intake"&gt;toda "intake"
Old 06-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (slofu)

pics?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (hadboosttroy)

so,
do you get any power from ITB's?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2kgs-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those are called individual throttle bodies homie not an intake.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was a joke, homie.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious what the intake temps were during both runs.... was either intake run twice for repeatability?

Just curious
Old 06-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes..... (Nvious R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nvious R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im surprised, greddy? wtf? haahaha
I wanna try ITB's on my S2k.

(incase you guys were wondering, im not on the s2k forum cause there's not much **** on there and im still all about an R)</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya some parts of HT are really dead. I guess there are better homes for them.

Quick Reply: dyno'd my hatch - interesting results from different intakes.....