Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 08:09 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (sneakychaos)

Who ever fills up the tank completely!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 08:45 AM
CPR

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (George Knighton)

CPR, What did your A/F ratio look like? Stock, with the P28, and tuned? Also, you have the stock exauxt , right?

Bumping this, so Chris sees it.

I like the idea of this modification. Seems to add power right where you need it, and it doesn't seem very expensive.
Here you go...
Old 11-17-2002, 09:28 AM
CPR

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (CPR)

The VAFC can get frustrating at times when doing fuel tuning. Sometimes, you put settings in there and the AF graph doesn't act the way you expect it to. Yes, that's my excuse why my graph seems to be cylical. This was my first solo attempt in using the VAFC.

In doing fuel tuning, things I looked out for were...
a.) Don't go above 14.0 anywhere.
b.) When VTEC kicks in, fuel must be between high 12s and low 13s.

I think in the long run, it's a very smart move to get a VAFC if you're going with Kenji's P28. The cost of the VAFC will eventually be paid off in gas savings.

As for the idling problems after filling up, I cant say that I remember running into that situation. On a cold startup, the idle does fluctate for a bit but not by much...not by much meaning that it idles for 3 seconds at 1350 then goes down to 1200 for 3 seconds and so and so forth.

I did have my own idling problems that lasted for all of 2 or 3 days. I was doing a lot of swapping from the stock ECU to Kenji's so that might have contributed to my issue. My problem was the car struggled to keep an idle. The car would shake once it was started and it sounded like my car was possessed. The fix was to rev it at a constant RPM for around 5 seconds and once you let off, the idle would go back to normal. I had a mild case of the idle problem yesterday which is right on cue since I was running the stock ECU for a while up to my dyno session on Friday.

One thing I find weird though. The ECU does not idle higher like the stock ECU when the headlights are on. I don't know what the effects of an ECU not compensating for load. I'm happy with the ECU though and it really is an improvement you can feel on your butt dyno. The car's throttle response it a lot better and you actually have low-end grunt pre VTEC.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That a/f ratio for the stock ecu vs. tuned looks similar to the mugen spec ecu that I'm running. I notice that from 5k it is somewhat rich, then at 6-7k its quite a bit leaner, then at 7 and up it dumps fuel like crazy. I found that by adjusting fuel by about 5% increments, that helped a lot. There is still quite a bit of power to be had by tuning fuel on your motor just by looking at the A/F ratio.

Between 5700 and 6500 looks like you need to be richened up a bit, leaned a bit between 6500-7200, and leaned up some more above 8000. These are just some suggestions. Also, if you didn't already know, the VAFC has a separate adjustment for fuel for vtec engagement points that differ from the ECU engagement point. This helps correct the fuel between those two points, the normal Wide settings cannot adjust this. Also, on the Wide and Narrow settings, any fuel settings after that dashed line on the Low cam side and before the line on the Hi cam side do not do anything. That line distinguishes where the points of fuel adjustment stop for that part of the VAFC. Just some tips on tuning. Otherwise, the graphs look good. Happy tuning.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (AzSi22)

when tuning the a/f ratio, should it be done at a dyno or on the road

i heard it might be better on the road
Old 11-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dynoed my setup (Kenji P28 ECU w/ I/H/T/E) and got similar results as Chris.

Huge midrange gain, and in my case minimal top end gain. Funny thing is that my peak WHP w/ P73 & P28 was the same. Hmm. I guess Spoon header flows better than JDM 4-1 to account for the high end gains in Chris' graph. I didn't see much gain past 7,000+ rpm.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (Cosworth)

I have the idle problem for a few seconds after I fill up. Although, I had it before I used kenjis P28. I seemed to aquire it after I swapped engines.

I'm really liking his chip. I don't even have vtec (need switch), and I can feel it pull a little bit harder than before.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (Nameless)

Cosworth. please post your dyno. I want to see.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (TypeR76)

Interesting dyno....mine looks VERY similar to Kenji's ecu settings ....stock si ECU and VAFC tuning.....VTEC @ 4900 16* timing.....00 US ITR motor (P73 coming when adapter arrives) aem short ram...DC pos 4-2-1 and tiny 2.25 catback at 2700 ft elevation

I would imagine my numbers would be better if I was at sea level??? Can anyone give me a clear yes or no on that? 165.5@7900 124 tq@5900
Old 09-18-2003, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (SergEK)

So how does this ECU compare to other programs such as Skunk2 and Katman's programs?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you tell I'm thinking of this chip? &lt;IMG NAME="icon" SRC="http://rely.net/~htimages/smile/emsmile.gif" BORDER="0"&gt;</TD></TR></TABLE>

George - 190+ at the wheels with Hondata, and you're thinking about ECU upgrades...?
Old 09-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

George - 190+ at the wheels with Hondata, and you're thinking about ECU upgrades...? </TD></TR></TABLE>

He was a year ago
Old 09-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (goern-R)

LOL - That will teach me to pay more attention to post dates. I didn't remember seeing this thread last year, so I assumed it was new.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where can I get Kenji's p28??
Old 09-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (Skunk2nR)

From Kenji.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:00 PM
New User

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (Nameless EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the idle problem for a few seconds after I fill up. Although, I had it before I used kenjis P28. I seemed to aquire it after I swapped engines.

I'm really liking his chip. I don't even have vtec (need switch), and I can feel it pull a little bit harder than before. &lt;IMG NAME="icon" SRC="http://rely.net/~htimages/smile/emthup.gif" BORDER="0"&gt; </TD></TR></TABLE> I thought i was the only one with the idle problem after fill ups...can this be fixed somehow?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:03 PM
New User

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (xjohnx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xjohnx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone noticed that with the kenji ecu, when you run down to almost no gas, you go to refill at the gas station, fill the tank completely, it's hard to idle the first couple minutes? I had that problem on 2 different Kenji ECU equipped cars and was wondering if it was just a fluke?</TD></TR></TABLE> not for two minutes but doesn't start up on the first crank after I fill up the tank. I'm running kenji's mugen spec p28...dyno'd 178 at the wheels on a mustang dyno , jdm b18c ( type R) w/ jdm oem 4 to 1, jdm type R cat, and greddy evo.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From Kenji. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahha, nice question Skunk2nR. Its all good. I'm doing my reading on the ecu as well. Us GSR boys might be able to use them.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:57 AM

Looks good, can't wait to install my kenji ecu.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (Maximus)

Perhaps im missing something, but if you get a chipped p28 and retune it, would it still have any of Kenji's "secret sauce" left in it?

confused.

YV
Old 09-19-2003, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Woha ! LOL...

Yes, that`s exactly what you can feel during the rev up... Look at the vtec xover range between 5k and 6k... This is huge... But the dyno seems accurate to the butt dyno or like we germans say: The "Popometer"... (popo = kiddish word for ***).

Old 09-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (youngvedder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngvedder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Perhaps im missing something, but if you get a chipped p28 and retune it, would it still have any of Kenji's "secret sauce" left in it?

confused.

YV</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it would. Kenki's ignition maps would remain, since the piggy-back tuning devices (V-AFC, Field) don't affect them. You would also be tuning off of different base fuel maps, which could potentially reduce the amount of fuel pressure you would need to run in order to tune effectively.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:00 PM

I recently aquired a Kenji ECU. Just wondering what base fuel pressure should I set before i go to the dyno. I want to try and minimize some dyno time because it is pretty expensive.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh (emissionsux)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emissionsux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recently aquired a Kenji ECU. Just wondering what base fuel pressure should I set before i go to the dyno. I want to try and minimize some dyno time because it is pretty expensive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

stock.

Old 09-27-2003, 06:45 PM
No Big Whoop

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DAMN!
My OBD0 PR3 Mugen chipped ECU gave my B18C5 182 HP and 134 ft/lbs
Meassured at a dynojet.
Bone stock engine with less than 1000 miles.
I did have short ram intake, DC JDM 4/1 header, bigger throttle body, no cat.
I feel for you guys with the OBD1 crap.

Quick Reply: Dyno Proven Again...Kenji's P28 is the Shhhhhh