Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Dyno - intake: Icebox vs. Mugen (Modified car) / Mugen vs. Stock (Stock car)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Comptech Icebox vs Mugen intake on Modified car, and Mugen Intake vs stock on stock car (ITR#132

thanks for the comparisons.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Comptech Icebox vs Mugen intake on Modified car, and Mugen Intake vs stock on stock car (ITR#132

So what you are saying is that any intake test on a dyno is totally pointless?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not completely pointless. It will of course show a difference between a highly restrictive system and a free flowing one. But with similar cold air intake designs it takes real world acceleration and speed forcing air into the horn of the intake for the testing to be accurate.

Yes of course you will see some changes on a dyno from intake to intake, but they are not an accurate representation of how much power the car is actually making while in motion.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Comptech Icebox vs Mugen intake on Modified car, and Mugen Intake vs stock on stock car (Austin)

Why would air flow make any difference anyhow. Correct me if I'm worng BUT dont the bottom of the intake point in a upword direction? Not all the way upwards but still BEHIND the bumper and no wind is directly flowing into the cai b/c its behind the bumper?
Old 12-15-2003, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Icebox vs Mugen intake on Modified car, and Mugen Intake vs stock on stock car (Ch33se)

before,

after..
Old 12-15-2003, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Icebox vs Mugen intake on Modified car, and Mugen Intake vs stock on stock car (Downey)

Maybe you should try the comptech intake arm with the mugen intake and see if there is any slight difference. Just curious.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Comptech Icebox vs Mugen intake on Modified car, and Mugen Intake vs stock on stock car (Cheap B

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the review
How much does a Hytech Renault cat go for?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Icebox vs Mugen intake on Modified car, and Mugen Intake vs stock on stock car (Cheap B

What filter was being used in the stock airbox?

Also, was the "stock" airbox stock? Or was it modified?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gabe_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What filter was being used in the stock airbox?

Also, was the "stock" airbox stock? Or was it modified?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock as stock can be.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:04 AM
EMI

how do you like your hytech header and exhaust? I was planning on getting their turbo manifold
Old 12-15-2003, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Agent Smith &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
jondThanks for the review
How much does a Hytech Renault cat go for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry for not answering this before, John at HyTech told me that they are $295, I paid for part of the cat when I bought the exhaust a year ago, and finally got around to sending my test pipe back to John so that he could make a cat that's the right size for me, so I paid a slightly different dollar figure.

Austin
Old 12-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EMI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EMI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do you like your hytech header and exhaust? I was planning on getting their turbo manifold</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love it, but then again if you do a search on HyTech I'm sure that you'll find numerous threads that I've posted.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Austin)

what kind of coating is that on the header?
Old 12-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Calavera)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Calavera &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of coating is that on the header?</TD></TR></TABLE>

HP Coatings http://www.hpcoatings.com I have their Xtreme coating on the header.

Austin
Old 12-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Founding Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cheap Bastard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess the extra $$$ for the mugen intake fools the butt dyno.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep in mind that Austin's car has ALOT of tuning done to it and its not the average ITR with some Bolt ons. The Amount his Stock ITR Head can flow might be a factor in why there was a little increase with the Mugen intake.

In My own test and a dyno done by White Dragon (Wes) the Mugen Intake showed about a 7-9 hp increase at the wheels. My Test done on a mostly stock ITR other than a Mugen header and Exhaust.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:29 AM
New User

I don't follow the logic. Stock motor gains power, because flow is limited by the stock air box. But mod motor not limited by the air box, but at the head? Shouldn't the bottle remain at the air box?

I would think if the bottle neck is at the air box then gains should be even greater on a modified motor.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here's a question for you: If, in fact, the intake does make more power when the car is moving, is it possible that the engine could be running lean during operation? Basically what I'm asking is, could the engine be behaving differently than what the dyno readout is showing?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerZook &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here's a question for you: If, in fact, the intake does make more power when the car is moving, is it possible that the engine could be running lean during operation? Basically what I'm asking is, could the engine be behaving differently than what the dyno readout is showing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, which is why you have to be careful when you're tuning your motor on the dyno, as the real world results will vary with air temp, humidity, and air flow. I was running a lean 14.1:1(leaner on the drag strip), and now I'm running a 13.7:1, with the cat I'm running ~13.2, I really didn't pay attention to the A/F ratio with the cat installed, if I had I would of had Lawrence lean out the mixture, which would have resulted in additional power(hopefully).

Austin
Old 12-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Austin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yes, which is why you have to be careful when you're tuning your motor on the dyno, as the real world results will vary with air temp, humidity, and air flow. I was running a lean 14.1:1(leaner on the drag strip), and now I'm running a 13.7:1, with the cat I'm running ~13.2, I really didn't pay attention to the A/F ratio with the cat installed, if I had I would of had Lawrence lean out the mixture, which would have resulted in additional power(hopefully).
Austin</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a little off topic, but do you have any idea of how much leaner the engine will run as temperature drops?
Old 12-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice Test. Appreciate the time and effort Austin!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:04 AM

Default Re: (Eva01)

possibly the difference while driving it was throttle response?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pompiuses &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is a little off topic, but do you have any idea of how much leaner the engine will run as temperature drops?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really don't know the answer to that question, the ECU adds/removes fuel dependent upon the air temp, water temp, altitude, and a few other factors...I'd have to do a fair amount of research to come close to a guess.

Austin