Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Da Cone = Owned.....Cam Gear slippage....Not for the faint at heart...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Kendall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who built the motor? And what cam gears were used?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I built the motor................Andrew had a cam gear bolt break last time he tuned (Fidanza cam gears) Andrew then bought new cam gears and installed them.......................and he forgot to tighten the bolts

The cam gear did not fail ......................the installation did

Just keeping my name clear of the carnage:

Mattj
Old 04-17-2005, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16C1)

mad ownage. lol sorry to hear man... that looks like a bomb went off in there
Old 04-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dropspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dropspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I built the motor................Andrew had a cam gear bolt break last time he tuned (Fidanza cam gears) Andrew then bought new cam gears and installed them.......................and he forgot to tighten the bolts

The cam gear did not fail ......................the installation did

Just keeping my name clear of the carnage:

Mattj</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, actually it wasn't the installation. I drove the car to the tuner just fine, did a couple runs and found the timing off. The tuner then adjusted them and at ~7500rpm the motor popped. I don't know where you got that me and Pete installed them wrong, or did something as stupid as forgetting to tighten the bolts.

BTW, Fidanza cam gears suck, the first time we tuned, we had a digital snap-on torque wrench set to 40in/lbs. and they broke using the torque spec listed on the cam gears. It wasn't the first time, Matt had to replace the hardware once before I got the car.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Da Cone = Owned.....Cam Gear slippage....Not for the faint at heart... (nemesis0104)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesis0104 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/NightCrawlerGsR/_002.jpg[/img]
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Photobucket bandwidth exceeded. Sounds like it was "not good" though.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stealth 95 GS-R)

Andrew has kept me in the loop regarding his new R (previously owned by dropspeed).

I have no doubt in my mind that Andrew installed it properly, Matt. And I don't think anyone is pointing fingers at you. The bottom line is that it's the tuner's fault that the motor is toast now, not yours or Andrew's.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pure Adrenaline)

Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

Umm, yeah....this might get ugly.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

In something like that, is anything salvageable? The block looks like it could be resleeved or something to that effect...
Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: (CaptivaBlue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In something like that, is anything salvageable? The block looks like it could be resleeved or something to that effect...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever, just toss in some new valves and spark plugs, maybe jb weld the hole in that piston, you're all set.

j/k... but yeah I would hope the block is still OK, maybe only need to bore the cylinders? I can't tell how beat up they are.. on further examination yeah maybe they are toast too.

DAMN THAT IS UGLY Andrew.

-Chris
Old 04-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chris F)

Lucas (onePOINTsix) said the sleeve was cracked. Maybe a modular sleeve kit would work? I wasn't there to see this or work on it, as I am either stuck in Lansing or Chicago without a car.

Modified by Stealth 95 GS-R at 1:03 PM 4/17/2005
Old 04-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Haleiwa-Brando)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Christ! I thought my block was bad. That sucks, horribly. Sorry man.

I would like to recommend ST Corsa cam gears. http://www.stcorsa.com/product...e.htm

Check out the large pictures for non-slipping PATENTED goodness #122 has a set of these and I feel confident in them on a turbo application.</TD></TR></TABLE>

those cam gears do look tempting. I was also looking at Toda cam gears too.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Da Cone = Owned.....Cam Gear slippage....Not for the faint at heart... (nemesis0104)

Yet another reason why the only adjustable cam sprockets I'd ever use or recommend are ST Corsa. Sorry about the damage -- best of luck with the repairs.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bah, Andrew just took off with my car.

I've never let anybody borrow my car before. It was weird seeing him leave with her. He might as well have hit it off with my girlfriend. :D
Old 04-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow that sucks.

but here's something crazy to ponder - with stock itr pistons/ block/ head with toda c cams and my toda cam gear on the exhaust side slipped full retard (20deg) and I didn't have any problems. I was revving that bitch to 9200 or so as well...

So I take it you had higher compression domes on your pistons and not as much valve to piston clearance as I have...?
Old 04-17-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: (Black R)

"look ma, someone made tossed salad in my cylinders.."
Old 04-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (strepto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by strepto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"look ma, someone made tossed salad in my cylinders.."</TD></TR></TABLE>

And the award for 'Weirdest / Most Perverse Analogy' in the Engine Grenade category goes to....

hmm, or maybe the avatar has something to do with it
Old 04-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So...who was the tuner?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cheezthis)

thats gonna be one hell of a bitch to bring back to life
Old 04-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Suspetise...

Default Re: (Haleiwa-Brando)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would like to recommend ST Corsa cam gears. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Brandon, how much are the ST Corsas? I know Tweak was selling them awhile ago, and since had to stop because they weren't offered or something. I always liked the design and regretted passing up the opportunity to get some.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (sscguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sscguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Brandon, how much are the ST Corsas? I know Tweak was selling them awhile ago, and since had to stop because they weren't offered or something. I always liked the design and regretted passing up the opportunity to get some. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I recently spoke with one of the individuals at ST Corsa, and unfortunately the company has made the decision to cease production for the moment. Apparently, the person charged with marketing the product did not do a terribly effective job, and as with many products that lack the backing of a large, well-known company name, the word simply never truly spread about them. This is not to imply that ST Corsa is by any means a fly-by-night operation (quite the opposite), just not currently popular in the sport compact marketplace. ST Corsa deemed the demand for the sprockets insufficient, and thus halted production.

A small inventory may yet remain at a few retailers, so that's your best bet to obtain a set now. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in these sprockets (whether you already own them or not) to contact ST Corsa and express to them that there is indeed a viable market for their unique product. It would be unfortunate for Honda/Acura tuning enthusiasts to lose the opportunity to purchase these sprockets, because their design is a decided improvement over basically every other competitor. They're very well-made, reasonably priced (I believe most retailers were offering them somewhere around $185-$195 per pair) and perhaps most importantly, they cannot slip.

I may even try to arrange some sort of online petition in the near future, but for now, I've provided links below to information on the sprockets as well as ST Corsa's contact information. I should note that I'm in no way affiliated with the company, and the only thing I stand to gain with the reintroduction of these sprockets is the opportunity to purchase and use them in the future, just like everyone else.

Shoulder -Lock Cam Sprockets (Note that the information is for B-series sprockets, but there is the possibility of H-series versions as well)

ST Corsa Contact Info
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stealth 95 GS-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lucas (onePOINTsix) said the sleeve was cracked. Maybe a modular sleeve kit would work? I wasn't there to see this or work on it, as I am either stuck in Lansing or Chicago without a car.

Modified by Stealth 95 GS-R at 1:03 PM 4/17/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>i dont think so mang, it's pritty own3d, mike said it was worse then when i saw it after he removed some more stuff
Old 04-20-2005, 09:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (onePOINTsix)

Damn, that just looks nasty. Makes me wanna puke.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

st corsa cam gears are the ****
Old 04-20-2005, 12:16 PM

damn
Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OUCH.....

Quick Reply: Da Cone = Owned.....Cam Gear slippage....Not for the faint at heart...