Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Comptech Icebox intake or AEM Short Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech Icebox intake or AEM Short Ram

Well, I searched for 20min. I Currently have a aem short ram, and thinking about the comtech icebox. what would perform better, and for ppl that have had the comtech, is it any loud for vtec? i kinda want performance and sound, but if the comtech is better than ill take as it is.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a loud VTEC crossover, get an AEM CAI (I have one, and it's niiiiiiiiicely loud), if you want a reliable CAI that will add power over stock, with stock reliability, that you're not afraid to drive in the rain, get the Comptech Icebox. Great intake right there.

It's not much louder over stock, but as previously stated, if you want loud, go with an AEM CAI. But if you want reliable OEM like quality, that still adds power, go with the Icebox.

Just for the record, on an otherwise stock engine, I believe the AEM CAI only adds 1.7whp or so? So you make the judgement if being loud is really worth risking your engine in the rain.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GO-FIGHT-KILL)

hmm, sounds good. planning on purchasing one.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Good call.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Icebox intake or AEM Short Ram (wallawee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wallawee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I searched for 20min. I Currently have a aem short ram, and thinking about the comtech icebox. what would perform better, and for ppl that have had the comtech, is it any loud for vtec? i kinda want performance and sound, but if the comtech is better than ill take as it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get the Icebox
I recently got one and I love it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GO-FIGHT-KILL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want a loud VTEC crossover, get an AEM CAI (I have one, and it's niiiiiiiiicely loud), if you want a reliable CAI that will add power over stock, with stock reliability, that you're not afraid to drive in the rain, get the Comptech Icebox. Great intake right there.

It's not much louder over stock, but as previously stated, if you want loud, go with an AEM CAI. But if you want reliable OEM like quality, that still adds power, go with the Icebox.

Just for the record, on an otherwise stock engine, I believe the AEM CAI only adds 1.7whp or so? So you make the judgement if being loud is really worth risking your engine in the rain. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't have said that better myself

but I would still go with the Comptech Icebox
Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Icebox intake or AEM Short Ram (00TypeR1071)

haha, yeah. im going to get with no doubt. thanks for the help
Old 01-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GO-FIGHT-KILL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want a loud VTEC crossover, get an AEM CAI (I have one, and it's niiiiiiiiicely loud), if you want a reliable CAI that will add power over stock, with stock reliability, that you're not afraid to drive in the rain, get the Comptech Icebox. Great intake right there.

Just for the record, on an otherwise stock engine, I believe the AEM CAI only adds 1.7whp or so? So you make the judgement if being loud is really worth risking your engine in the rain. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Jordy you have seen the light!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a used one im selling. lmk
Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Icebox intake or AEM Short Ram (pennies_hatchie)

how much do u want for it?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 I had an Icebox on my old gsr, like stated great for rain but it is very quiet in vtec. i swtiched to an aem cold air and although unsafe, vtec is very loud. i then swtiched to a j's racing and loved it.

i just ordered another j's racing today for the R
Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Icebox intake or AEM Short Ram (RTW CW ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW CW ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

x2 I had an Icebox on my old gsr, like stated great for rain but it is very quiet in vtec. i swtiched to an aem cold air and although unsafe, vtec is very loud. i then swtiched to a j's racing and loved it.

i just ordered another j's racing today for the R</TD></TR></TABLE>

How is the J's racing? Is it loud like the AEM? safe and reliable with power like an Icebox? How much are J's racing?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Icebox intake or AEM Short Ram (SWE3TDUDE)

hmmm, i dont know which to get aem cai, or a comptech
Old 01-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SWE3TDUDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How is the J's racing? Is it loud like the AEM? safe and reliable with power like an Icebox? How much are J's racing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

J's racing it short ram. I forget the numbers but I think the J's make more mid-range than the AEM but the AEM makes more max. than the J's????

Like I said I had both intakes you are looking at, and I was happiest with the J's. That's the only reason I bought it again. I think i just paid 279 from evasivemotorsports
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for an extra $200 go mugen yo
Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (floatfisher)

haha, thats alot for an intake. haha
Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ Nothing else can top it though.

If you want loud, and safe, go with a J's Racing/Password:JDM intake. It's short ram, so it's almost impossible to get water into it.

I had a Password:JDM intake on my '94 Civic, and people called my car the fog horn. It had a VERY loud intake sound to it, on a stock exhaust, so it sounded like a tug boat I suppose.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so its between, AEM CAI, PWORD and COMPTECH, anyone vote for me?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Comptech for OEM like quality.

AEM CAI for loud.

Password:JDM/J's Racing for loud/able to drive in the rain... Plus carbon fiber bling.

Your decide.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much louder is AEM over J's Racing? How much are J's Racing?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

$275 or so for J's Racing.

I'll take a sound clip of how my car sounds with the AEM CAI, and post it tomorrow... If it's not pouring down frozen rain/snow, like they're predicting.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GO-FIGHT-KILL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Comptech for OEM like quality.

AEM CAI for loud.

Password:JDM/J's Racing for loud/able to drive in the rain... Plus carbon fiber bling.

Your decide. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, an ARC if you want mad bling y0
Mugen if you ballin' ...i shoulda bought that but my R had an exhuast leak so I bought the J's and an Apexi World Sport 2
Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GO-FIGHT-KILL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

AEM CAI for loud and top end power
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW CW ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SWE3TDUDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much louder is AEM over J's Racing? How much are J's Racing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's about the same loudness, just to me it was a different kind of loud. It is hard to explain. Maybe just more agressive is the way to explain it?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by showkaAr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AEM CAI for loud and top end power</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ Yeah, mine REALLY starts to scream from 7,000RPM-Redline... Pre-VTEC it's more a growl, VTEC-7,000 it's kind of a raspy loud, and past 7,000 it just sounds like a damn F1 car.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GO-FIGHT-KILL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$275 or so for J's Racing.

I'll take a sound clip of how my car sounds with the AEM CAI, and post it tomorrow... If it's not pouring down frozen rain/snow, like they're predicting. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is how AEM CAI sounded on my car

enjoy......
http://video.google.com/videop...20425

p.s. I sold the AEM and got a Comptech Icebox

Quick Reply: Comptech Icebox intake or AEM Short Ram