Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install?

Hey guys. I tried to do a search and couldnt find what I was looking for.
Im doing a full head job tonight and done cams and stuff before, just never did spring and retainer install before.

Does anyone have something to reference to get the springs out. I am assuming its just to compress them and then loosen the valve tappet screw slowly and pop them out.
But when is it ever that easy. lol

Anyway I remembered a CSpeed site I used before, But I cant seem to remember the full web addrss. Does anyone know if its stepped out on that site?

Thanks In advance
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (itr206)

Hey.. Give me a day.. we are updating the How-Tos with a spring and retainer install guide (with pics of course!)

url: http://www.c-speedracing.com

Enjoy!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (G3-TEG)

how will you be doing the install? head on the block or off? you have few different options as how to do it. i just did this lastweek with a total of 45 minutes to remove the stock stuff. ive previously used the big c clamp tool from craftsman and it was fairly easy to use. you can also just go rent one of you dont want spend 20 bucks for one. using the c-clamp compressor requires the cylinder head to be off the engine block.

this is the tool i used and its quiet easy and makes installing and removing valve train components pretty east. 60 bucks for this little tool

snap-on also make a tool where you dont have to take off the head but its pretty expensive. 120+

Old 09-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (itr206)

I wanted to do it with the head on, but was told we need compressed air to keep the valve lifted so it doesnt drop.
Plus the owner wants to do a fresh headgasket and new head studs anyway . So i guess we are taking the head off. lol

Do you just use that to push the spring down then take the nut off and loosen the tool back up to let the spring pressure off?

Thanks guys.
I found the C Speed site before you posted. I didnt see that walkthrough on there.
Thanks though.I think it will be a great write up
Old 09-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys.
I found the C Speed site before you posted. I didnt see that walkthrough on there.
Thanks though.I think it will be a great write up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, i'm the owner/founder of c-speed. Been really busy with the racing season. I'll get that how-to up later today for you.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (imola-red dc2)

steps that were taken...

1. remove valvecover, dizzy, turn engine over manually to top dead center, and loosen the timing belt tensioner.

2. undue the cam rails, cam caps, and remove the camshafts.

3 you can leave the rocker arms in if you want, but taken them out give you more room to work.

to remove them... lift one rocker arm set up at a time and rubberband them together. you should then have 8 sets of rockers arms rubberbanded together.

rotate the head to side where the camgears are.. look and youll find to allen head bolts. remove those and slide the rocker arms shaft out. while sliding the shaft out youll be removing 1 rocker set that you rubberbanded together at a time.

after that you are ready to move on to removing the retainers and springs.

4. use your tool of choice that applies to your head situation and compress the springs. make sure you compress the springs enought were the keepers dont pop off.

5. remove the little keepers. a magnetic flathead would work wonders in getting them out.

6. decompress the valvespring tool and the retainers/springs will be accessable to remove be hand.

7. before reinstalling everything in reverse order.. make sure your valvespring seals are in goodshape. if not, this would be the time to change them. if everthing checks out good... start reinstalling them.

hope that helps you out... if i missed something please correct me
Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (imola-red dc2)

thanks
I didnt see this until this morning though.
I did it last night and it actually was real easy.
We had this tool with a magnet that you bang on the retainer and it pops everything out and keeps the keepers on the magnet.
Cool tool made life very easy.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:16 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imola-red dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that an Ebay tool? It looks clever.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"We had this tool with a magnet that you bang on the retainer and it pops everything out and keeps the keepers on the magnet. "

Were you able to use the same tool to reinstall the keeper?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

were did you get the $60 dollar tool?

and what did you do to keep the valve from dropping?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the blue point version of the bigger tool, but im also interested in the little blue one you have...i've never seen anything like that before. very cool. who makes/sells it? and do you think its easier to use then the lever type valve spring compressor?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (Dogginator)

It is from Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT

If the link doesn't work, try searching for item number 4574214305. Jarrot initially had V-tech in the title. I told him that was a phone.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (Dogginator)

the tool we had had a bit on it to then push everything back in and snap it in. Awesome tool Its a snap on I think
We just put some rags under the head to hold the valves up.

We didnt do this with the head on
Old 09-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

importbuilders $50
Old 09-18-2005, 05:11 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (db8sirg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by db8sirg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">importbuilders $50</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like that Ebay tool better. You don't have to hold the compressed valve spring. Does the importbuilders tool come with multiple shafts?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:05 AM

yeah the ebay tool rocks! if the head is on the car you'll you have to put air in it so the valve wont drop. i did this without the head on the block and it was easy. with other tools, one hands is always putting pressure on the springs leaving you only one to work with.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:15 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imola-red dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> leaving you only one to work with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You dont have any friends?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the tool we had had a bit on it to then push everything back in and snap it in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same tool, but I cant picture the operation and didnt want to force anything. I think I need to find a junk head for practicing.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imola-red dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the ebay tool rocks! if the head is on the car you'll you have to put air in it so the valve wont drop. i did this without the head on the block and it was easy. with other tools, one hands is always putting pressure on the springs leaving you only one to work with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i need more information about putting air in the head in order to not to drop the valves.

and this might be stupid question but after you compress the valve spring with the tool how do you take them out? lol

sorry for bringing dead meat alive
Old 04-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (itr1244)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr1244 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i need more information about putting air in the head in order to not to drop the valves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use a compression tester to pressurize the cylinder.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr1244 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and this might be stupid question but after you compress the valve spring with the tool how do you take them out? lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

After you compress the valvespring, you'll be able to remove the keepers, which will allow you to remove the retainer and spring. It'll be obvious once you see it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr1244 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry for bringing dead meat alive</TD></TR></TABLE>

At least you searched.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (Reid)

That blue tool looks freakin sweet, wish I had one when i was doing my head.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (ITR-00-1457)

i cant seem to find that blue little tool.. if anyone knows where i can get one. please let me know. i need to put my cams in near future
Old 04-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have instructions of Valve spring and retainer install? (itr1244)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr1244 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant seem to find that blue little tool.. if anyone knows where i can get one. please let me know. i need to put my cams in near future </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the snap on tool for sale which will make life easier...PM if interested.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW