Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im curious to know what kind of measures were taken on their part to "secure" the car. was it kept inside? probably not. was it at least gated in? doubt it. if it was sitting in their parking lot and got jacked, that doesnt sound like much of an effort to avoid this situation.

my cars interior was stolen while the car was at a shop in jersey. it blatantly told them not to leave the car outside and was assured they wouldnt. sure enough they left it outside, and the entire interior and some motor stuff was stolen, glass painted, etc. luckily the car was blocked in by like 3 other cars and a wall on one side, or else the car would be history. they didnt even tell me the next day, they told me two days later. my insurance company paid me, and went after them and their insurance to get their money back. i never found out what happend after that, but I know my premiums never went up.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

Although insurance should take care of everything, I'm worried that they won't place a very high value on the car. How much should I be expecting to receive for a 01 PY R with ~56,500 miles in great condition inside and out, of course it has wear from daily use. It is absolutely stock except for the 98 spec JDM ITR GM rims. Is there a way to maximize the insurance settlement? Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (EuN_TeK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EuN_TeK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He told me that MY insurance company has been informed and that they will take care of everything. I did not threaten him with any legal actions because I wanted to talk to a lawyer before making such a rash decision. Hopefully one way or another, things work out in the end. The body shop did inform me that they will help pay for my deductibles... but we'll see what happens.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

WAIT. F that ****. YOUR insurance company shouldnt really have **** to do with this (other than making theres pay for your ****). THEIR insurance is the one that needs to be paying for ****, same with the deductible. the car was in there possession when it was stolen there for there responsibly not your insurance companies problem.

you dont need a higher insurance premium cuz they are retarded
Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is crazy but unfortunately not unheard of....

I hope you get your ca<FONT COLOR="red">R</FONT> back.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^
Their policy sounds like BS to me, but good luck.
keep us update it
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (Tiger_Si)

Holy crap!!! What the hell? Sorry to hear it happened again.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (98DC2R)

I would contact your insurance company and see what the next step.
It's going to be a long process dealing with the body shop.
and as for this lawyer thing the only person coming up is the lawyer
unless you have a friend or family lawyer.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, first things first... DON'T threaten a company with an attorney unless you are fully ready to pursue such actions as earlier posted more and more companies are beginning to call people on their B.S threats of attorney's...

Second, the shops insurance cannot make a deal with the shop on other people's property. They can post all the signs about not being responsible that they want, but that is why they have the insurance in the first place... I would find out who their insurance is and call them personally and figure out what is going on. I am willing to bet the shop didn't even call their insurance, just yours to let them know what happened so they won't have to cover/replace anything... GL with this whole situation and keep us posted.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Default Re: (EuN_TeK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EuN_TeK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Although insurance should take care of everything, I'm worried that they won't place a very high value on the car. How much should I be expecting to receive for a 01 PY R with ~56,500 miles in great condition inside and out, of course it has wear from daily use. It is absolutely stock except for the 98 spec JDM ITR GM rims. Is there a way to maximize the insurance settlement? Any advice would be highly appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would think that your insurance company would be quite interested in the idea that the theft was an inside job. That borders on insurance fraud, and they may just want to pounce on that shop and destroy it with THEIR LAWYERS.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (EFsSuck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFsSuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WAIT. F that ****. YOUR insurance company shouldnt really have **** to do with this (other than making theres pay for your ****). THEIR insurance is the one that needs to be paying for ****, same with the deductible. the car was in there possession when it was stolen there for there responsibly not your insurance companies problem.

you dont need a higher insurance premium cuz they are retarded </TD></TR></TABLE>

Every shop, body and/or mechanics, that I've ever been to has a very large and clearly displayed sign informing customers that they are NOT responsible for theft, fire, vandalism, etc.

In other words, they are NOT responsible UNLESS negligence is evident. I had one of my cars broken into years ago at a shop and their insurance did cover it but only because the car was not moved to their secured fenced in parking lot. If his car was behind a locked fence (assuming they have something more secure than an unsecured lot), than his insurance will be footing the bill. If the shop took all prudent action to protect the vehicle, then it's simply not the shop's problem. You can argue whether or not that's morally right or not all you want, but it's the truth (at least as far as my experience with these situations is concerned).

Now an inside job (if it can be proven) is a criminal matter and one that his insurance company will attempt to recover their money on, but they'll still be paying it up front.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dave_B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does the shop have insurance? Find out their policy first. If they do, do NOT go through your insurance but go through theirs.

The shop SHOULD have Insurance. If they opperate without, contact the BBB.

GL finding the car man, that sucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm with Dave... Contact the Better Business Bureau and they can give you all the pertinent info on the shop. Get your police report, which should have the insurance info for the shop and give them a call.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 AM

I would just hire a lawyer. Body shop should be held responsible for your car if it is on their property. Obviously they didn't do their job to ensure that it was secure. I would just let a lawyer do the talking.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EuN_TeK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The body shop did inform me that they will help pay for my deductibles... but we'll see what happens.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea of course then they got a R for how ever much your deductible is..

man and you just got this thing back... how did you find this body shop???
Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (importfan2)

whatever you do, don't stop fighting and make sure the shop gets what they deserve.

I can't stand the idea of whoever did it getting away scot free.

I knew when you made the theft thread in the first place that there would be something iffy with the shop.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (tartje)

I use to work at a garage that dealt with high end, high profile cars. If a car was driveable (aka not smashed to all **** to the point that it couldnt even roll), it was either in our locked and gated lot or in one of our garages. NEVER would we let a car that was a rolling chassis type of situation sit outside, ungated. If youre car was ungated, it is their responsibility to handle the insurance claim because it was in their responsibility to guard it. Thats why they HAVE insurance. And if it was gated, well then have them show the proof of a break in, in which case the car was still in their property and should be covered by their insurance. Dont let them **** their way around this.

This would be like if your car dropped off a lift there and they said that your insurance would have to cover the new damages. Seem a bit ?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (KetteringITR)

definitely hire a lawyer for this man..too much doubts, suspicsion that are no answer by that body shop. Post the name of the body shop if havent done so already.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hoping for the best keep us updated! I was worried about the same thing for my car when it was in the body shop for 2 months!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (actionanh)

That is some BS, the shops insurance should cover you. My friend had the same thing happen to him from his mechanic shop. His tt Rx7 had his custom stereo stolen from the shop, he complained and they paid for the repairs, but while it was getting repaired, the whole car was stolen!! Now if anything was an inside job, that was one.
Anyways he talked to his insurance company and they told him if it was in the shops care that it was their responsibility. After about a month of bs the shop ended up giving him a nother car. They gave him a 2001 Audi S4. Not so bad for him but this is just to give you an idea.
Your insurance should have nothing to do with it. If the car was intheir care and they were to secure it, then its on them.
Hope that helps...
Good luck.
Thats why I wont ever buy a ITR. Its safer to buy a NSX as funny as that sounds...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (vtec95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Inside job...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya beat me to it.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (HYREV2NR)

The shop was Loma Linda Auto Body & Paint. I will talk to my insurance company today and see what the shop had told them. I will also inform my insurance company of the possibility of an inside job and to contact their insurance company. Will keep everyone updated.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys, i actually work for an insurance company so let me tell you how this works-

1- do not hire an attorney- no good will come from this other than a bunch of legal fees that YOU will be stuck with. - the bs shop or liabilty carrier does not owe this - it is not compensable-

2- call your insurance company- and let them handle this-
YOU have a responsiblity to mitigate YOUR loss- If you want to sit there and point the finger nothing will get done.

Any decent insurance company WILL NOT SURCHARGE YOUR PREMIUM if the loss is not at fault- let them pay and then subrogate for the monies back-
Let them pursue the other party because they will be out much more money than you

Can your insurance company recoop?- that is up to them-
was the body shop liable? is it thier responsible to keep a car reasonably safe- yes
- did they do within reason to keep the car safe? - if not then maybe your carrier will collect-

What does the police report indicate?

good luck
Old 09-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Re: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP! (R you serious)

UNBELIEVABLE... The body shop had reported incorrect information to State Farm. They had told State Farm that my sister's 03 civic was stolen instead of my R. I don't know how they figured out we had a civic, but that's what was on the report. When I called State Farm to get an update on the status of my claim, they were totally confused and thought I was referring to my original claim and told me the car was deemed fixable and was in the shop being repaired. I made sure they got the correct information from me and they informed me that I will be contacted within 48 hours. Once again... I am speechless...
Old 09-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EuN_TeK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">UNBELIEVABLE... The body shop had reported incorrect information to State Farm. They had told State Farm that my sister's 03 civic was stolen instead of my R. I don't know how they figured out we had a civic, but that's what was on the report. When I called State Farm to get an update on the status of my claim, they were totally confused and thought I was referring to my original claim and told me the car was deemed fixable and was in the shop being repaired. I made sure they got the correct information from me and they informed me that I will be contacted within 48 hours. Once again... I am speechless...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Leads me to believe the shop really had something to do with it... why would they go out of their way to find out there was another car on the policy?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like they want to buy some time to chop it and make it disappear.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Sounds funny to me, I think you need to talk a lawyer.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: 01-0834... STOLEN FROM THE BODY SHOP!