Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already!

Alright, its not winter yet, but Im going to school and unfortunately I dont need a car at school so im leaving my teg behind. Ive read all the tips for winter storage, but these tips are for ppl leaving their car stored for 5 months or so. My teg will be sleeping for a damn long 8 months!!!

Besides the obvious, oil change, top up gas tank and stabil, and remove battery,
what else do I need to do? Do I really need to pour oil down the cylinders before I store it? I do not plan on starting the car during this eight months!

TIA!
Old 08-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put the car on jack stands for your tires sake
Old 08-11-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (lustedp)

or overfill the tires to 38-40 psi.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (IntEGNYC)

I don't know how long it has to sit before you worry about oiling the cylinders. Maybe you could disconnect the injectors & remove the spark plugs, then spin the engine with the starter. (Don't leave the plugs out while you're gone.) Would that leave enough oil in there? At least, you should do that after you get back home to make sure the oil circulates everywhere.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already! (-BlueGSR-)

pay somebody to start it up every month
Old 08-11-2003, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already! (SMC Rice Rocket)

Almost forgot about the tires!

I dont really want to start it, since it gets really cold in the winter.

Will I be ok leaving it sit for that long without starting it? I just want to know if itll be alright leaving it like that, or will I need to oil the cylindeers???

thanks again!

Old 08-11-2003, 02:59 PM

wouldn't hurt to shoot a little oil down the cylinders....it'll just be a little smokey when you start it up next spring....
Old 08-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already! (NeoGSR)

Just some things that went bad on a crx that was left out in the sun for over a year... in case you wanted to know what can go wrong.

bad waterpump
bad fuel pump
bad main relay
bad ground to relay
bad tach - had to get unstuck
bad floater sending unit - had to get unstuck
bad window squirter motor - had to get unclogged
finiky starter - corroded contacts.
bad battery

Old 08-11-2003, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already! (SMC Rice Rocket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SMC Rice Rocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pay somebody to start it up every month</TD></TR></TABLE>

that seems logical as long as they make sure to remember to lock the storae up again
Old 08-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already! (Vince10984)

since you're goiung to college have you dad or mom just drive it around the block/street until she's warmed up for about 10 minutes, then park her (do that like once every 2 weeks or so).

-ryan
Old 08-11-2003, 05:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already! (tegasaurus)

also make sure they konw how to lock it up properly, else you might not come back to a teg... !
Old 08-11-2003, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Winter Storage tips? Yes its winter here already! (IntEGNYC)

Even if I put stabilizer in the gas tank wouldnt starting the car defeat the purpose of putting that stuff in??

I probably will get my parents or bro to start it up every month or so untill the really cold weather comes...

If I do start it, should I just leave the battery in than?? And just have them disconnect it after they start it and warm it up??
Old 08-12-2003, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're going to have them do anything like that, I think it's better to have them actually drive it somewhere. That way it warms up thoroughly, the battery gets charged thoroughly, and the wheel bearings & brakes get some exercise. I think if they do that every 3 or 4 weeks or so you'll be fine. Besides, if they actually use it to go to the store or something it's not like a useless chore for them. And then you don't have to put it up on blocks since the tires get moved around.

But if you gotta take off the insurance or something like that, just make sure they warm it up good. If they just start it & run for 2 minutes that's probably worse than doing nothing.

Still use gas stabilizer. Even if they take it to the store every 3 weeks, it'll take a long time to empty the gas tank. It's got more to do with the age of the gasoline, not just whether it gets stirred up or not. Maybe get a gas can with stabilizer in it too. One reason for keeping your tank full is so there isn't any condensation inside it.

How old is your brake fluid & antifreeze? If it's gonna be 2 years old before you get back, change & flush it now.

Don't forget small animals wherever you park it. Mice love to chew seats, insulation, wires, and air filters.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem, except I'm willing to come home every month and drive it. So, you guys think if I can drive it once a month and have someone start it every 2 weeks, it'll be alright? I never actually thought of the wheel bearings.... I'm sure winter cold must affect them somewhat....
Old 08-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dk127)

Personally, I'd drive it once a month and not bother with starting it every 2 weeks. That's what, only once between your visits? Drive it enough to exercise the brakes & suspension. Then you can embarrass yourself at the gas station by getting only 3/4 of a gallon. Air space in the gas tank might lead to condensation.

If you trust someone with your car, let them actually use it for something, instead of just 'starting' it. I think driving 10 or 20 miles is better than just idling in the garage for 10 minutes.

Anyone have thoughts about gas stabilizer? I suppose it would be a good idea, but I've never used it.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:59 AM

Default Re: (JimBlake)

i'm leaving my car at home for college, but i'm gonna to try my hardest to make the 2 hour trip back home every weekend to start it up and drive it
Old 08-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bolivianstrtwpn)

every weekend? That hardy seems worth it. I am also storing my car due to being at school. But it is not going to move at all when I am gone. I will not drive my car in the salt and **** if I don't have too. Also if you drive your car in the winter you would have to wash it right away, otherwise it is going to sit with salt on it all winter. I am going to: change the oil and all fluids, put my steelies on, park it, in my grandma's garage, on plastic with pieces of wood on top(to keep out mositure), put car on jack stands, remove battery and ecu(so no one can steal it)leave the windows open a crack, and cover it with the car cover. We did this for many years with my dad's chevelle and nothing bad ever happened. Is you car going to be inside or outside?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:12 AM

when i was deployed, since my car is turbo..and has a turbo timer..i set the turbo timer to 9 mins. and told her just start it take the keys out and lock the door..she started it up every other day...