Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Why Not Go Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (island_son)

Depending on how often you use it, nitrious can become more expensive than a turbo or supercharger.

Its also harder to tune/design your engine package for.

Since 90% of the time you are going to be off the bottle, and generating 50-70hp less, you either have to pick a smaller exhaust system to keep decent midrange for daily driving and sacrifice gains from the nitrious, or pick an exhaust system that can handle the increased gasses from the nitrious and lose performance when you are off the bottle.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (StyleTEG)

I got a little 35 shot for top end on my Ls and really like it. I just try not to spray so much since it really isnt built for it yet.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (LsPower)

I always thought that needing backpressure for torque was a mullet myth. I've heard from very reliable sources that no motor needs any amount of backpressure. I'm not trying to flame but I'd be interested to see which is true.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (Brett)

has anybody really gone into the other downfalls of how unreliable turbo kits are and how they play havoc on the engine...nos i think is still the best bang for the buck and if anything when set up correctly and used properly does less damage then any FI
Old 02-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on the set up you run. You cant just stick the bottle on a completley stock car, that spells disaster. Just like any other force inducted mod steps need to be taken to ensure that it works properly if not you could find yourself searching for a new motor.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always thought that needing backpressure for torque was a mullet myth. I've heard from very reliable sources that no motor needs any amount of backpressure. I'm not trying to flame but I'd be interested to see which is true.
It is very much a myth, people get backpressure confused with exhaust velocity.

Backpressure is always bad, you don't want it.

Exhaust velocity is how fast the exhaust is traveling out of your exhaust system.

If the exhaust system is too large, the exhaust pulses are not going to scavange out of the system, and it will end up in exhaust gas being evacuated slower than a properly sized exhaust.

This is why if you get a 3" OD exhaust on a stock B18C1 engine you are going to lose performance. Even though at that point you are not going to have much, if any backpressure, the exhaust flow is still very slow.

writen by SurferX
Anyway in an exhaust system that is too big, the pulses get disorganized and don't follow each other in line. Some of the pulses will bounce around, causing exhaust gasses to hang around in the exhaust pipe with little forward motion. These gasses are susceptible to being sucked back into the combustion chamber on the piston's intake stroke, diluting the fresh air/fuel mixture and ultimately causing power loss. So while you have minimized backpressure even further with an over-sized pipe, you did so at the price of disorganizing the exhaust pulses.
http://www.team-integra.net/sections...p?ArticleID=47

You need to size your exhaust for your powerband goals

2-1/4" up to 210HP @ the flywheel (about 180-185 whp)

2-3/8" (60mm) up to 235HP @ the flywheel (about 200-207 whp)

2-1/2" up to 265HP @ the flywheel (about 225-235 whp)

2-3/4" up to 325HP @ the flywheel (about 275-285 whp)

3" big for big HP (Forced Induction: > 275 whp)
Which is why nitrious becomes a trade off, how much power you are making is very different on and off the bottle.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:33 PM

i'd go for it man! ever thought about looking into the venom computerized nitrous system. it's expensive but it can save your engine from blowing up. might want to add some stronger engine components if you are thinking of cranking up the shot.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:02 PM
New User

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (wimpy_cavy)

i'd go for it man! ever thought about looking into the venom computerized nitrous system. it's expensive but it can save your engine from blowing up. might want to add some stronger engine components if you are thinking of cranking up the shot.
Seems to me if you're going to go with a computerized this and forged that to run nitrous, you're defeating it's only real asset...low initial cost/hp(when active). At some point it'll be more cost effective to go with a supercharger or turbo system.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:02 PM

Most definitely NOT true. When I bumped up my piping to 2'' and ran straight pipe on my exhaust setup, When i let the clutch out from a standstill, I had absolutely NOTHING. No power until i got to about 3500+, and my exhaust sounded like absolute ****. So I threw a high flow cat on there, and I could not believe how much pickup I gained back on bottom end. The problem was I had no backpressure, and 4 cylinder motors do need a little bit of backpressure in order to run efficiently.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (97hb)

anything that gives your engine an instant gain of 50+hp cant be good, a turbo does not give all of its power in one shot like nitrous does the turbo spools and gradually gives more power as does a super altho different still doesnt give you the instant power nitrous does, also if you turn the bottle on before ur at WOT you can cause some real serious damage
Old 02-17-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (Hybrid Invasion)

Most definitely NOT true. When I bumped up my piping to 2'' and ran straight pipe on my exhaust setup, When i let the clutch out from a standstill, I had absolutely NOTHING. No power until i got to about 3500+, and my exhaust sounded like absolute ****. So I threw a high flow cat on there, and I could not believe how much pickup I gained back on bottom end. The problem was I had no backpressure, and 4 cylinder motors do need a little bit of backpressure in order to run efficiently.
First, your post is hard to undestand.

Second, not needing backpressure is a well-known fact. So please don't post incorrect info unless you have proof to back it up. What you felt and the actual amount you loss/gained are totaly different.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:31 PM
New User

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (Mac8008)

I agree. I think this whole back pressure thing is nonsense.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (TimoneX)

with say a 3" exhaust you will gain more PEAK hp, same thing with a larger IM and TB your PEAK hp will increase but in the lower portion of your powerband you will lose power
Old 02-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I bumped up my piping to 2'' and ran straight pipe on my exhaust setup, When i let the clutch out from a standstill, I had absolutely NOTHING. No power until i got to about 3500+, and my exhaust sounded like absolute ****. So I threw a high flow cat on there, and I could not believe how much pickup I gained back on bottom end. The problem was I had no backpressure, and 4 cylinder motors do need a little bit of backpressure in order to run efficiently.
The stock piping is 1.8", bumping up to 2" is hardly any difference. In fact, 2.25" is considered to be pretty small in terms of exhaust piping.

A goodhigh flow cat flows almost as much as a straight pipe, so close that you would not notice a difference.

Catco (std. core) 2.25" 338.2 cfm
Catco (std. core) 2.5" 388.0 cfm

Car Sound 2.25" 342.7 cfm

Test Pipe 2.25" 407.1 cfm
Backpressure is always bad, any loss in performance from an exhaust pipe that is too large is because of exhaust velocity, not lack of backpressure.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (StyleTEG)

and reduced exhaust velocity will decrease low end torque
Old 02-18-2003, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (JeremyL)

How do you get more velocity out of a smaller pipe though?
Old 02-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you have a smaller pipe the exhaust pulses pull each other out in a single file manor resulting in faster exhaust travel.

A large pipe the exhaust pulses are too small and literally bounce off the sides of the piping resulting in slow exit, not to mention possible reversion even to the point of being sucked back into the cylinders.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (Jackson4Door)

most people taht say nitrous is cheating probably had their *** kicked by someone squeezin.....

I squeezed for a year almost to the day and I had no problems.... it ran fine, but damn the nitrous can get expensive after a while... I honly really ran 4 bottles the whole time but.. still....

it adds up..
Old 02-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (JeremyL)

anything that gives your engine an instant gain of 50+hp cant be good, a turbo does not give all of its power in one shot like nitrous does the turbo spools and gradually gives more power as does a super altho different still doesnt give you the instant power nitrous does, also if you turn the bottle on before ur at WOT you can cause some real serious damage
lol nitrous controllers are available to control how much nitrous goes in and when.
my understanding with a supercharger is that it spools by the crank and gives FULL BOOST and INSTANT power after 500-750 rpms give or take. so it's basically giving the instant power like nitrous would.except nitrous you can make it come on later after 2500 which some say is better.

and about the WOT thing they have switches for that so it only goes when your at WOT.

I say go nitrous all the way.

That's what i'm going with my new project.

[Modified by KoRE, 12:10 AM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-18-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (KoRE)

thats all correct information and while i dont know a lot about SC's i know that a turbo doesnt make all its avaliable power as soon as it starts spooling

those systems you described are gonna cost some money all around and will reduce the hp/$ ratio, all in all my opinion on nitrous is its kinda impractical for street use, for a track only car i say go for every possible power adder you can squeeze under the hood
Old 02-18-2003, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (jonoknut)

[QUOTE. . whatever tickles you pickle [/QUOTE]

<U> </U> I do so agree...
Old 02-18-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (Mac8008)

First, your post is hard to undestand.

Second, not needing backpressure is a well-known fact. So please don't post incorrect info unless you have proof to back it up. What you felt and the actual amount you loss/gained are totaly different.
first, my post was based on true experience. Second, if people wanted fact, i'm sure they wouldn't go to a forum.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nos is not constant. you squeeze here and there, then you have to refill your bottle. And that's gonna add up.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (Audio28)

nos is not constant. you squeeze here and there, then you have to refill your bottle. And that's gonna add up.
NAWSSSSS is very consitent. Usually people will get times that are really far apart because of there bottle pressure. You need at least 900 psi for a good shot. Usually without a bottle warmer its around 600psi and you can feel a big difference between the two. Unless you live in TEXAS , you need a bottle warmer. Yeah you got to keep fillin the bottle, but thats the price to pay for speed
Old 02-19-2003, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Why Not Go Nitrous? (97hb)

he said constant not consistent :-P

constant : always there and doesnt need any outside interference

consistent : delivering similar performance every time out

Quick Reply: Why Not Go Nitrous?