Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

what spring rate for my ground control coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what spring rate for my ground control coilovers?

what spring rates should i request when ordering my ground control coilovers. They will be paired up with koni yellow shocks. thanks.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:10 PM
New User

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (Integra187)

if your getting custom rates then thats really on you...its what your planning to do with the car...

"Normal" integra GC rates however are 200f 180r...correct me if im wrong
Old 04-19-2002, 03:44 PM

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (wuhungsixxx)

for people that have them currentley isn;t the number on the spring the code to the spring rate?
Old 04-19-2002, 04:34 PM

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (gsr stuie)

yes the number onthespring is the rate... i have the soft ones, the LEs. they're amazing. so easy to adjust... no need to take of rims to adjust height.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:18 PM
New User

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (sutrusu)

You guys should make sure you know what you are saying before you type it. The GC's normal rates are roughly 300F/250R and the spring rates are not on the actual springs. Sure, there are ID number in white, but they in no way represent the actual spring rate. I went with 400F/350R w/ an ITR Swaybar on Koni Yellows and I'm actually in the process of breaking them in. (I installed them today). Many people recommend 350F/400R for the daily driver and occassional Auto-Xer. I chose a stiffer rate up front so that when it snows here in Utah I'm not oversteering. Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (Waxing "The Carrot")

I believe waxing is close but the rears are 280lb/ft.

I would also say 350/400 is a good setup. We ran 450/550 in a civic sedan and it was rough on the road but did well.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:14 AM

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (Asahi)

i have 350/450 on my gsr. LOVE IT!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2002, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (wuhungsixxx)

"Normal" integra GC rates however are 200f 180r...correct me if im wrong
will there be a big difference when doing 200/180 instead of 350/400. Still not sure what to get. thanks.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

200 barely held the front of my 91 teg up, go with at least 400

especially if your car is lowered the 200 rate wont keep your car off the bumpstops 200-350 is for cars that aren't lowered too much because they have still have shock travel but once you lower go with at least 350+
Old 04-21-2002, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (essex)

actually 300 will be more than enough tpo keep the car off bumpstops and 400+ will start to become a rough ride for a street car. I would go 350/300 for a street only car and 300/350 for a lightly auto-x'd car and 350/400 for a more frequently auto-x'd car.

Old 04-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (Asahi)

The rear rates will influence the ride quality more than the rear. If you just want improved handling and don't mind understeer at the limit of adhesion, go with a higher front rate than rear. (e.g. 400F / 200R)

If you want the car to have a bias towards oversteer and don't mind rough ride quality go with something like 350F / 450R. Almost all off the shelf shocks can't handle anything over 600lbs, and neither can most human backs on a daily driver. I have 500F/450R and I probably wouldn't want to go much stiffer on a daily driver.

Just keep in mind, higher rear rates will influence ride quality more than higher front rates.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (mojoGSR92)

so what happens if you have 400/400? im sorrie, im not much of a suspension person..understeer/ over steer stuff. i had neuspeed springs before and tokiko adjs shocks but it was too soft. i had them set on the stiffest setting and it still want good enough.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (Waxing "The Carrot")

The GC's normal rates are roughly 300F/250R and the spring rates are not on the actual springs
Yes, the spring rate is on the spring. Eibach ERS part numbers are in this format: xxxx.xxx.xxxx The first 4 numbers is the free length of the spring, 0400 is 4" and so on. The second 3 numbers is the inside diameter of the spring, 250 is 2.5". The last 4 numbers is the spring rate. 0350 is 350 lb/in. The 2.25" springs come in free lengths of 4-9", rates from 150 to 4500 lb/in in 50 lb/in increments. The 2.5" springs come in lengths from 6-14", with rates from 150 to 1450 lb/in. Certain spring lengths below about 600 lb/in come in 25 lb/in increments, then go to 50 lb/in increments above that. I think GC coilovers take the 2.5" ID springs.

[Modified by PatrickGSR94, 8:53 AM 4/22/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 07:07 PM
New User

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (PatrickGSR94)

Hmm....I'll have to check my box with the ID numbers on it......
Old 04-23-2002, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

2.25" ERS catalog: http://www.ground-control.com/gcers2257.htm

2.5" ERS catalog: http://www.ground-control.com/gcers250.htm
Old 04-26-2002, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys should make sure you know what you are saying before you type it. The GC's normal rates are roughly 300F/250R and the spring rates are not on the actual springs. Sure, there are ID number in white, but they in no way represent the actual spring rate. I went with 400F/350R w/ an ITR Swaybar on Koni Yellows and I'm actually in the process of breaking them in. (I installed them today). Many people recommend 350F/400R for the daily driver and occassional Auto-Xer. I chose a stiffer rate up front so that when it snows here in Utah I'm not oversteering. Good Luck!
how is the ride quality? ground control recomened 380/250 for me. Im just a daily drive mainly, occasional racing though.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:02 AM

same thing that I want to know.... Im worried that 350/450 will be stiff for me or will be a bitch to drive....
Anyone know any good sites to learn about understeer and oversteer and all that stuff?
I live in Maryland and it snows sometimes up here, so what do you think will be good for me? 350/400?
Old 04-28-2002, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (integra-modder)

Why don't you guys just do what I plan to do? I plan on ordering some 400F/600R Ground-Controls to go on Koni yellows (that I will likely revalve in the future). This and I will be running a 22mm Progress rear bar. For auto-crossing I may or may not take off the front bar, but I'll likely leave it on because I think I'll get a good amount of rotation out of this setup.

For daily driving, and particularly in the winter I'll do one of two things. Remove the rear sway bar, keep the front sway bar. If my car still oversteers on the street, I'll swap the spring rates so it'll be 600F/400R. If I decide that is too hellish for daily driving, then the last option I have is to reinstall my stock suspension for the winter months. It's only a couple hours of labor to have good winter ride-height/handling.

I've been criticized about this before and frankly I don't care. I'm the one who'll be doing the labor, and I can't afford another daily driver. It's just a thought for the rest of you guys though, that are in a similar situation.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mojo, you can't exactly just take your rear springs and move them to the front and vice versa. The front and rear springs on GC's (ERS Springs) are completely different length springs, and they are made that way for a reason from GC. So if you were needing to limit oversteer in the winter, you would have to buy a brand new set of springs from GC. Also, 600 lb. springs in the rear may become a little annoying and rough on a daily driven car on streets that are anything less than perfect. I have 400f/300r on my daily driven GSR along with a 22mm ITR rear sway, and I think it handles pretty neutral, and stays planted very well. Koni shocks will go to **** pretty quickly and not ride very well with 600 lb. springs on them, they were not meant to handle that much spring. I think that for you to go with those kind of rates on a daily driven car would be a little extreme, especially on a G2 integra, because they seem to ride much rougher from the factory. My friends stock G2 suspension rides very similar to my G3 on 400 lb. springs, so you might want to rethink your spring choices before you drop some cash on a setup. If you have any more questions about the GC's just shoot me an IM.

Jon
Old 04-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (HondaJon)

Well, from my understanding you can specify to Ground-Control that you want the same size springs for the front and rear. I got that notion from this post in the competition forum:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=162747
i'd recommend something along the lines of 350f and 250r. talk to ground control about getting equal length springs (sometimes they run 1" smaller on one end). you'll have plenty of adjustment range to compensate, and this will allow more flexability down the road. i have been able to find the ERS springs for $50 from a few places. if you find the initial setup too soft, you can move the 350 springs to the rear, and order a set of stiffer springs for the front and you'd only be out $100. adding a stiffer rear sway bar is also a good way (better than stiffer springs) to reduce understeer.
Also, I am running 500F/450R springs right now so am I already aware of how rough it is. The roads in Michigan/Ohio aren't the greatest either where I do the majority of my driving. I've had this setup for a year. Also, where I'm originally from (Columbus, OH) truechoice is literally about 5 minutes from my house. I was planning on getting only the rears revalved to start with.

My only question is, can I get the rears revalved AFTER I get the 600lb springs and the shocks have already gotten beaten up by the 600lb springs, or would that be too late? I'm comfortable with spending an extra $200 to get the rear shocks revalved by truechoice.
Old 04-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I have heard, shocks can be revalved at any time during their life span. The 600 lb. springs you are putting on there should do minimal if any damage at all to the structural integrity of the shocks. If anything does happen, I'm sure that Truechoice could do any rebuilding of the shocks that would or could be necessary. It all really depends on how long you ride around on them before you get them revalved, and what kind of driving you are doing on them (street/track) or whatever. Sounds like you know what you want, best of luck to you and your setup.

Later,
Jon
Old 04-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what spring rate for my ground control coilovers? (HondaJon)

From what I have heard, shocks can be revalved at any time during their life span. The 600 lb. springs you are putting on there should do minimal if any damage at all to the structural integrity of the shocks. If anything does happen, I'm sure that Truechoice could do any rebuilding of the shocks that would or could be necessary. It all really depends on how long you ride around on them before you get them revalved, and what kind of driving you are doing on them (street/track) or whatever. Sounds like you know what you want, best of luck to you and your setup.

Later,
Jon
Thanks for the positive criticism/concern, but I think I've got all of my bases covered (well, I hope so anyways). I'll be purchasing the Koni Yellows this summer which I'll ride on around on my current spring rates of 500F/450R. Six months down the road from that I'll be purchasing my Ground-Controls and at that point I'll have to make a decision about spring rates and revalving the Koni's.

I'll probably end up temporarily installing my stock suspension again if I do decide to get the rears revalved at the same time, or I may just wait and ride around on the 400F/600R combo to see how the Koni's handle it. Before I make any further decisions though, I'll be giving Koni, Truechoice, and Ground-Control a call as it looks like I'm deep enough into the research process that it would be best for them to answer my questions.

Jonathan - Who knows what he whats, but suffers from college thrift.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this car will be a daily driver, that sees full auto-xing seasons, and possibly occasional tracking/lapping days.

[Modified by mojoGSR92, 6:07 PM 4/28/2002]
Old 03-27-2004, 02:14 PM

hey i have a 92integra with gutted out rear seats and 2 recaro speed seats with harnesses and a b20vtec motor , i want to get soem ground control coil overs, i got to the track ever otehr weekend and liek the stiff ride im not goign for perfect smooth ride of a mercedes benz but i want a race car liek setup, .... and i dont live in the snow nor do i care about under or over steer becasue i drive my car its doesnt drive me.. but what is a goof spring rate? 400/450?