Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Vtec Hesitation!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec Hesitation!!!!

Whats up honda tech members. Im new to the hondatech forum and i just wanted to greet every1. I have a 99 acura integra gsr ssbp with a oem kit which has a ls/vtec motor. Mods done to the car are type r pistons cai, exhaust, and a exedy clutch. i also have a slight problem with my vtec which hesitates in higher rpm ranges. in 1st gear it seems right at the point when my vtec kicks it seems to hesitate betweeen 5000-8000 rpm range it gets even worse when i shift into second and third. I know that i have a leak in my#1 exhaust manifold. Couold that be the problem why my vtec hesitates at higher rpm ranges?? any comment or info would be appreciated
Old 08-29-2003, 06:08 PM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec Hesitation!!!! (ToFu-DeLiVeRy)

What ecu are you using
Is the engine check light going off?
Old 08-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your oil
Old 08-29-2003, 06:29 PM

gsr engine to a ls/vtec motor... why?
Old 08-29-2003, 07:24 PM

Default Re: (95teggygsr)

Cuz when you build it right you'll be laughing all day at GSRs, considering all else is fair

As far as the hesitation, make sure there are no leaks around the silinoid, wires are connected well, oil level is good... I mean if it's not those, then check to see if it's not your ecu chip.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:26 PM
New User

Default Re: (VtecDA9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cuz when you build it right you'll be laughing all day at GSRs, considering all else is fair

</TD></TR></TABLE> laughing all day long as they fly by you ?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (Threatcon13)

hahah
Old 08-31-2003, 08:49 AM

whats up fellas. Thx for all the replies and to let u guys know i am using a stock gsr ecu. I have checked the wiring and solenoids to the vtec and everything checks out fine. Now about the oil, i know i need to change the oil in like a week but do u guys think that could be the reason why my vtec hesitates???? O and btw my check engine light doesnt go on so i know nothing internally is screwed up. I have also done a search and i came up with nadda. None of the threads had the similar problems that i have right now. Now i read something earlier about the vtec lines could possibly clog up could that also be the reason why my vtec hesitates?? and just to let u guys know i fly by type r's all day also hahaha jk....thx again for the replies again guys.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:17 AM

Check your fuel pressure?...Do you have a fuel pressure regulator?
Old 08-31-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Re: (B18PoweredCivic)

Low oil will cause your vtec to bog and hesitate when it tries to engage. so put some oil in it.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:41 PM

Yea i thought that was probably the cause, low oil level. Well I'm about to change my oil so ill just add a little more oil than usual and btw yes i do have a fuel pressure reg and i have the psi sset at 52 so ill just change the oil now and see if that helps out. Thx for all the info guys....
Old 08-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ToFu-DeLiVeRy)

check your oil at every gas fill up...no oil in engine is bad!
Old 09-03-2003, 06:48 AM

Default Re: (philafelman)

my only question is how do you know your vtec is hesitating , or disengageing and re-engageing, low oil wont caust that, the vtec mechanism will only allow the solo to engage if the oil pressure is high enough to push the pin...thats why vtec wont engage when the engine is cold.... if you hooked up a vtec light, you would be able to see what I am talking about....
Old 09-03-2003, 09:45 AM

Well jgold thx for your input on this situation. First of all what is a vtec light. I've never heard such a thing. Second vtec does not engage just by oil pressure. The ecm will engage the vtec system if 4 of the following driving conditions are met such as the coolant temp, the mph, rpm, and map. You could say that the vtec is controlled both electronically and mechanically but still u need a sufficient amount of oil pressure to engage the vtec system. Now remeber i have a ls/vtec motor and since ls engines dooesn't have vtec u need a oil line that feeds oil to the vtec head. Now since my oil level is low, oil pressure is not up to par as it should be but there is still oil pressure in the line so basically vtec could be popping in and out when engaged. So correct me if im wrong people im just stating what i know.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:03 AM

true I do not know about the intracacies of the ls/vtec converison...a vtec light is a 12 v diode that hits the wire for the solonoid...that being the final part to the puzzle so that if the ecu says go it shoots the solonoid 12v to push the pin...that is the final end all say all as to vtec engagement, if that light is on you are in vtec, if its off you are not.... what I was getting at was if you could hook up a light, you would be able to see if the solonoid was engaging/disengageing.....

cuase if its not that......
1. cams? if your getting a flat spot
2. injectors ...mabyee it has to do with your fuel pressure....what is stock, and why is yours higher/lower/right on , might that be screwing with the expected pulse duration of the injectors and are you in essence "flooding" the cylender...do you have a a/f gauge that we coudl use to see that..?

3. as for being low on oil, I dont think that you would have that problem of having "just enough to engage it" but not enought to sustain it, you would have to be really really low......

just throing that out there, not trying to say your are wrong...just wanting to help...
Old 09-03-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Re: (jgold47)

21 VTEC Solenoid Valve (1.8L GSR)
22 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch (1.8L GSR)

those are the CEL's for non working vtec components.....i dont know if and how those woudl transfer in an lsr
Old 09-03-2003, 10:08 AM

In order for the ECU to initiate the VTEC system, 5 engine conditions must be met.

Temperature: The engine must have reached normal operating temperature.

Throttle Position: The throttle must be open far enough to allow for increased airflow in VTEC.

Vehicle Speed: The car must be in motion (wheels spinning).

RPM: Engine must spin to it's target value. The GS-R will send it's "GO" signal for VTEC at 4400 RPM while the Type R sends it's signal at 5700 RPM.

Oil Pressure: The engine must be operating with normal and safe levels of oil pressure determined by the VTEC pressure switch.

The ECU will send a signal for a spool valve to open. When this valve opens, oil is allowed into the pivot shaft inside the valve rockers and directed into the center rocker. Inside the center rocker, a set of pins are forced outward by the oil pressure and lock inside the rockers to both sides. This entire process occurs in 1/10 of a second.

this is from http://www.team-integra.net
http://www.team-integra.net/se...ID=45

Old 09-03-2003, 10:55 AM

Thx Jgold for all the input. I understand how vtec engages very well and all the technical details. Its just that if something was wrong with any of the 5 conditions met with vtec then i would most likely be geting a check engine light right? Besides all that i have always had my fuel pressure settings set at 52 and haven't had any problems till recently with my vtec. I do have a a/f gauge and if i was flooding the engine with to much fuel wouldn't it read rich? or would it just lean out bad? And besides the other day when i was checking my oil level i couldnt even get a reading on the dipstick at what my oil level was so i believe it is at a very dangerously low point. I have a strong feeling this is the reason y i have my vtec problems ill let u know tonight if it solves the problem.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:53 PM

my only wonder is what would cause either of the CEL's? does it need to be a malfunction, or, if the conditions are not met does vtec just simply not engage....thats my guess, that if you did not meet any of the five you would not get a CEL...for example, cold start the car, and floor it in neutral....if you had that vtec light it wouldnt come on... (I know cause whne I installed the light I was going ape **** cause I was sitting in my garage reving the **** out of the engine and getting nothing....he he....just needed to get the wheels groovin!
Old 09-03-2003, 12:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ToFu-DeLiVeRy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thx Jgold for all the input. I understand how vtec engages very well and all the technical details. Its just that if something was wrong with any of the 5 conditions met with vtec then i would most likely be geting a check engine light right? Besides all that i have always had my fuel pressure settings set at 52 and haven't had any problems till recently with my vtec. I do have a a/f gauge and if i was flooding the engine with to much fuel wouldn't it read rich? or would it just lean out bad? And besides the other day when i was checking my oil level i couldnt even get a reading on the dipstick at what my oil level was so i believe it is at a very dangerously low point. I have a strong feeling this is the reason y i have my vtec problems ill let u know tonight if it solves the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you should be running real rich or real lean on the A/F...although with out a wideband, its hard to knwo how rich or lean..... but if your stoich, then thats not the problem, not only is that not the problem but in can rule out a lot of other things, but without a wideband o2 I dont know how much stock I would put on that....if you are stoich, then that eliminates, air intake problems (blockage preventing appropriate airflow), injectors, fuel pressure, spark (possible the plugs are fouling at higher rpm)....

this is all mostly an excercise in possibilities, if you add more oil and it goes away, boy were we going the wrong way around it !
Old 09-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

low oil can cause vtec not to engage...i know from experience. and that same thing can cause the cel to come on. plenty of cars in work like that...also check the screen behind the solenoid.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:34 PM

Well where to begin.....well before i checked and changed my oil i lowered my fuel pressure back to stock settings. Afterwards i took the baby for a test drive and took it to redline on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd then right near 7k my vtec goes eeeerrrrrrr and check engine light goes on. Im now like holy **** i just fucked up my vtec for sure now. Then i went and got a pgm tester to check what code it was and it was a 22-4 vtec trouble code which i feared the most. So then i check the oil level and i didn't even get a reading. So then i drained my oil and only about 1.5 quarts of oil came out. hahah. I was holy **** my oil level was low. Then i filled her back up and took her for a test run again and everything was running great. I took her up to about 100mph and everything was good. Now all i have to do is get rid of that dam check engine light cause its getting annoying now.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:05 PM

My GSR hesitates as well from 1st to 2nd. It drops right below vtec and then kicks back in. I know a few other people with GSR's as well and they all do that. My friends' tegs are all motor and do that, but mine is currently stock b/c I'm getting ready to boost it. So, from all the investigation that I've done (assuming that something was wrong on a stock car) it seems to be a normal occurance.
Just my .02cents...hope this eases your frustratoin.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:41 PM
RedLinin247

Default Re: Vtec Hesitation!!!! (2001IntegraGSR)

in my 95 gsr if i shift right i dont fall out of vtec. even out of first gear.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Vtec Hesitation!!!! (RedLinin247)

Well, I'm not sure what you are insinuating, but I think I know how to shift correctly. Every gear stays in vtec except 2nd.

Quick Reply: Vtec Hesitation!!!!