Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere!

My valve adjustment screw on my 95 gsr is stuck so i can't adjust the valve. I have tried taking off the lock nut, wd40, lots of pressure. What else can I do? I am positive the cam is not touching the rocker too, so that is not the problem. Also the cam is turned to the corrent position.

heres a pic from c-speedracing.com to show you what I am talking about

Old 05-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (import810)

impact wrench??
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...e#tab

it wil be very useful when you work on your car.

or

try when engine is little hot. oh wait, no. you need to adjust when engine is cold.lol
Old 05-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (Last For One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Last For One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">impact wrench??
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...e#tab

it wil be very useful when you work on your car.

or

try when engine is little hot. oh wait, no. you need to adjust when engine is cold.lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

impact on a screw? ehh I dont think I have that
Old 05-09-2006, 03:45 PM
GDD 1%

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (import810)

Use an impact on that and you are asking for trouble.

How far is the valve out of spec? I would not bother unless it is way out of spec.

Try warming up the car, take off the valve cover, and try to loosen it. Then wait till the next dayto adjust the valves.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (Rtzx9r)

way out of spec like I can fit a point .16 in there
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have an impact screw driver? i think that would be your best bet

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (B18B-SC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18B-SC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have an impact screw driver? i think that would be your best bet

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...Tools </TD></TR></TABLE>

this can fit sockets too?? then
Old 05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (Last For One)

it doesnt replace a impact wrench, its main purpose(for me) is to remove tight screws, like the ones holding the brake rotors on. the ones that would strip out with a normal screwdriver. it does have a square drive for a socket. but imo its worthless if you have an impact wrench.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try connecting a long pipe to the end of your rachet. The more leverage, the more power.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (Smash03)

yeah more power equals broken bolt heh just be easy on it and give it a shot
Old 05-09-2006, 05:47 PM

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (OrangeCiviC251)

Try tapping on the end of your screwdriver as you turn it. Thats what I have to do with getting rotors off. Works really well and you can control it more easily whereas an impact will just wail on it till either it comes loose or breaks.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere! (Wayne_Curr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wayne_Curr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try tapping on the end of your screwdriver as you turn it. Thats what I have to do with getting rotors off. Works really well and you can control it more easily whereas an impact will just wail on it till either it comes loose or breaks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is basicaly just a fance version of what you are talking about

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18B-SC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have an impact screw driver? i think that would be your best bet

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...Tools </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by integra3586
do you have an impact screw driver? i think that would be your best bet

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...Tools
I have the same problem, except the locknut is stuck and my socket rounded the corners a little. Already tried this tool, to no avail. Any other ideas? This valve is tight, but I was able to adjust all the others...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere!

i have an impact driver like the one pictured in here, and i have to hit that SOB really hard before it will loosen a stuck screw. i would be careful about pounding on your valve assemblies with anything. if the screw is stuck in the locknut, you shouldn't have to put much pressure on anything but the screw driver and the box end wrench to separate the two. maybe i am misunderstanding.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve adjustment screw STUCK. Help me fix it I need to go somewhere!

Originally Posted by follie gatts
i have an impact driver like the one pictured in here, and i have to hit that SOB really hard before it will loosen a stuck screw. i would be careful about pounding on your valve assemblies with anything. if the screw is stuck in the locknut, you shouldn't have to put much pressure on anything but the screw driver and the box end wrench to separate the two. maybe i am misunderstanding.
LOCKNUT is stuck. I can't even try to adjust the screw until I can break the locknut free. Make sense?

And I agree with you, whacking anything near the valves with a hammer was not high on my list of things that seem like a good idea.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phateless
LOCKNUT is stuck. I can't even try to adjust the screw until I can break the locknut free. Make sense?

And I agree with you, whacking anything near the valves with a hammer was not high on my list of things that seem like a good idea.
ok i think you have the same situation as i had this passed week when adjusting a few valves. yes, the lock nuts are really really hard to loosen. i gouged my wrist pretty bad on one of the cover studs while wrenching one loose.

my advice? i have two integras with LS motors, so if the VTEC changes things my advice might be meaningless. that said, i don't worry about the screw driver. there's no point in trying to maintain the screw's position. when you break the nut loose, it is easy to adjust the screw, tighten, check with a feeler gauge, and repeat. the only time you need to use the screw driver is when you're tightening the nut to hold the position. breaking the lock nuts loose is a chore, so concentrate on that. i used a rubber mallet on my box end wrench for one of them.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by follie gatts
ok i think you have the same situation as i had this passed week when adjusting a few valves. yes, the lock nuts are really really hard to loosen. i gouged my wrist pretty bad on one of the cover studs while wrenching one loose.

my advice? i have two integras with LS motors, so if the VTEC changes things my advice might be meaningless. that said, i don't worry about the screw driver. there's no point in trying to maintain the screw's position. when you break the nut loose, it is easy to adjust the screw, tighten, check with a feeler gauge, and repeat. the only time you need to use the screw driver is when you're tightening the nut to hold the position. breaking the lock nuts loose is a chore, so concentrate on that. i used a rubber mallet on my box end wrench for one of them.
Thanks, I'm actually in a LS as well, and yes, never tried to mess with the screw and nut simultaneously. Break nut loose, adjust screw, hold screw, snug nut, tighten nut, re-check clearance.

15 out of 16 went just fine.

Sorry if it's confusing, rather than start a new thread, I revived an old one with a smilar issue, because the two pics I would need are both already here, lol.

I was using a 12-inch ratchet on this nut and still couldn't' break it free. I ended up slightly rounding the nut out, so now I'm really screwed.

Car is running well, but I really want to go back in there and get this one last valve adjusted properly.

EDIT - thanks for your help, btw.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i didn't realize this was an old thread. is your socket 6 point or 12? i didn't use a ratchet wrench at all, since i don't like to hit those with mallets.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I started with a 12 point, but it slipped and rounded the nut more than it already was, then switched to a 6 with the impact ratchet. The 6 ended up being flared slightly, so now I'm really stuck.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would be reaching for an electric impact and a combination of extensions and adapters to reduce my 3/4 impact to a 1/2" drive if the nut got jacked up.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I might have to go to my buddy's house.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other ideas?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Trial User

I removed the entire rocker arm assy, then pulled the offending rocker arm (with frozen jam nut) off the shaft. Carefully keep up with all the bits and pieces. Place the rocker snugly in vice. Heat the nut with a Mapp Gas torch briefly, NOT to red hot by any means, just enough to break the coked up oil in the threads. (You will just see smoking). It Loosened right up for me. Prolly didn't need to remove the rocker arm assy, but I didn't initially know what I would be using to get the nut lose....

IMO, The real secret here is to have a purpose-built screwdriver tip that snugly fits all the way down into the slot.

Oh and finally, hammering on the top any valve stem with it's piston at TDC, using an impact screw driver, is risky business.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I bet OP still checks this thread regularly for new ideas.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

I was gonna say heat the sucker up too!