Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

VAFC or modified ECU

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAFC or modified ECU

I have a 92 gsr with a 2000 gsr motor swapped. I've got a fully modified ECU, but my question is, do I need to sell the VAFC that I earlier bought or should i use it aswell. I was thinking because the modified ECU has the v-tec adjustment and the whole works, the VAFC would be useless.... or maybe im wronge.....help!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: VAFC or modified ECU (moekhanafer)

who "FULLY MODIFIED" your ecu? what program? custom map made specifically to your mods?

KEEP the VAFC and get your car tuned by a pro... simple as that
Old 05-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't think it would be smart to run both.
i used to run chipped ecu and safc on my ls, not good. pick one =D
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your ecu has not been professionally mapped and you use the vafc then they will interfere, sending your engine different messages, possibly endangering the vtec, then youll have problems.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A vafc isnt the best solution. A ecu mapped specifically for your setup would be an idea solution.

Chipped ecus, ecu chipping etc: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1242980

From pgmfi (Good way to describe piggybacks):
Piggy Back controllers allow stock ECUs to do things that they normally can't do, like run larger injectors or deal with boost. Remember that piggyback controllers work by altering sensor signals before they get to the ECU.

Most of the time, the primary signal being messed with is the Map Sensor. This is critically important in a Speed Density car. The Map Sensor is used by the ECU to guess how much air is going into the car, and therefore how much fuel to supply in order to match airflow. When you "lean" out a car with an AFC, you are simply decreasing the Map Sensor signal - the ECU responds to the decrease in manifold pressure by supplying less fuel. When you "richen" a car with an AFC, you are simply increasing the Map Sensor signal - the ECU responds to the increase in manifold pressure by supplying less fuel.

The change in fueling happens for a reason: if you look at a fuel table, Map Sensor values correspond with columns. When you increase or decrease the signal from the Map Sensor, you are simply making the ECU use a different column than it originally would have used. (see Understanding Maps if you need some help understanding reading Fuel and Ign tables)

But wait, isn't the Map Sensor used for determining ignition requirements too? When you "lean" out a car with a Piggy Back, you also in all likelyhood advanced timing. When you "richen" a car with a Piggy Back, you also in all likelyhood retarded timing. Look at trends horizontally (as MAP changes) in an ignition table, and you will see why this happens. This helps explain why so many boosted cars running on the "AFC hack" have issues due to excessive ignition advance.

The bottom line: Piggy Back Controllers suck because you cannot independently adjust fuel and ignition. Any changes to fueling will produce a change in ignition too, and often this is undesirable.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC or modified ECU (mtber)

soo your saying I i should throw away my VAFC,, and stick with the performance ecu or what ???? lol
Old 05-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC or modified ECU (mtber)

is that what your saying???
Old 05-13-2005, 07:48 PM

throw it my way