Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Timeing belt on GsR

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timeing belt on GsR

At this point in time my timeing belt is allright but i have had alot of peoploe tell me that on integras they always go out around90,000 miles so before i get there i would like to change it. My question is how hard is it to do a timeing belt, i know that on ford there are special tools you have to have to do it, is that the same on integras??? Is it worth paying the dealership to do it?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Timeing belt on GsR (Gsrteggrl)

Really the only hard part imo is getting the crankshaft bolt off if it's your first time. There is a special tool for the crankshaft bolt but many opt for other household tools to hold it in place. Other than that, you just need regular tools like ratchets, sockets, entensions, wrenches, jack and stands, etc.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only special tool I ever use is the crank pulley holder tool. Everything else only requires hand tools of varying sizes and lengths.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't know what your doing then yes its worth having some one else do it. But if you have some knowledge id say go pick up a Haynes repair manual and do it your self.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Timeing belt on GsR (tallguy)

well it is my first time with a timeing belt but my bf has done alot but only on fords since hes a ford mechanic. Thats why i was asking about the tools Does anyone know if you can rent the pulley tool at vato zone or how expensive are they to buy???
Old 07-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timeing belt on GsR (Lan)

wow.........change at 90,000 miles..i'm at 103,000 miles and haven't changed it yet...bleh....i'll do it evenutally..i'm a broke ***...
Old 07-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timeing belt on GsR (sw33t_g33s3r)

Timing belt is a better investment than gas. I would recommend changing it asap if it has never been changed. I think its only like $20 something bucks from Honda
Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

20 bucks?? huh???
Old 07-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Timing belts are pretty cheap. It beats replacing your valvetrain when it breaks.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it the labor, the shop charges to replace it that costs a grip???
Old 07-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, Buy a chiltons or haynes manual. Its pretty easy to replace. Plus the experience is priceless
Old 07-07-2005, 10:29 AM

I seem to remember the dealership charging around $60 for a honda timing belt... Maybe not, or maybe that was a water pump. I don't know.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Thrasher)

Maybe your right. I dunno. But hey, it beats the hell out of the alternative.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: (Lan)

Here's a how-to, it's not that bad as long as you have a way to get the crank pulley bolt off. Worst case scenario - drive your car to pepboys, have them take the impact to it for a $10 bribe, tighten it down to 80 ft lbs and drive home carefully.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...t.php

Also, the OEM t-belt is a little more than $20, it's around $40-45 at the dealer or online. You should also replace the water pump, and the 3 accessory belts while you are in there (a/c, alt. and p/s).

Btw, Gsrtggrl - Ford has no equivalent to a timing belt, they have the much easier to do and wonderful serpentine belt to run all of the pulleys, but anyone who is reasonably mechanically inclined and has the right tools and attention to detail can follow the instructions above and change a t-belt.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (purplegsr)

ok yea well he has the tools but has never done this on anything other than a ford but by the way he is very educated in fords considering hes a ford master tech. But he dosent have alot of experience in Honda so thats why i was asking But does anyone know if you can rent the tool to hold the crank pully? Or aobut how much they cost

purplegsr-thanks for the article that helped alot
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Gsrteggrl)

hey.. i have a new prostreet timing belt kit for a gsr for sale if ya want it... its all oem parts and a really good deal. pm me if ya want it.. ill hook ya up
Old 07-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's about $70 from Summit Racing. It's a Moroso part.

Rent it out to your Honda friends after you're done with it. It'll pay for itself.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: (IN VTEC)

purplegsr, if your not mechanically inclined enough to go against what a ford master tech says, then keep the unknowlegeable comments under the rug and reveal them when you actually have true facts and knowlege about the ford system. Ford has a timing belt system that uses a cog style belt that runs from the crank to the cam shaft or shafts. This is found on the ford 2.0L DOHC zetec, 2.0L SPI, 2.3L OHC, and 2.5L OHC engines. A serpentine belt system ford also has but it is used to run your accessories such as water pump, power steering pump, alternator, A/C compressor and so on. The 2.0 DOHC zetec requires a stop that screws into the block to stop the crank at TDC and an alignment tool to fit the slotted ends of the two camshafts to align them to each other. If you would like me to type a whole post on how to go along this proceedure, I will be more than happy to contact my b/f and have him give me all the details on how to do this.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gsrteggrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">purplegsr, if your not mechanically inclined enough to go against what a ford master tech says, then keep the unknowlegeable comments under the rug and reveal them when you actually have true facts and knowlege about the ford system. Ford has a timing belt system that uses a cog style belt that runs from the crank to the cam shaft or shafts. This is found on the ford 2.0L DOHC zetec, 2.0L SPI, 2.3L OHC, and 2.5L OHC engines. A serpentine belt system ford also has but it is used to run your accessories such as water pump, power steering pump, alternator, A/C compressor and so on. The 2.0 DOHC zetec requires a stop that screws into the block to stop the crank at TDC and an alignment tool to fit the slotted ends of the two camshafts to align them to each other. If you would like me to type a whole post on how to go along this proceedure, I will be more than happy to contact my b/f and have him give me all the details on how to do this.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

geez, don't get all butthurt. This is a Honda forum, and I was speaking from experience working on my girlfriend's 98 Mustang V6, which, thankfully, doesn't have a honda style timing belt. I am not at all familiar with all of the New Ford variants that use a similar approach to Honda, so thanks for correcting me.

If you read my post, I didn't say anything derogatory about Ford or your mastertech bf, I said if he is a mechanic he will have no problem working on any car you put in front of him, as long as he has a how-to or manual to help him along. Which is just like me being able to work on my girlfriend's Ford V6, even though I usually work on Hondas.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: (purplegsr)

im not getting all "butthurt" as you put it but i was just letting you know since you felt it neccasary to tell me that ford does not have timing belt's that you should be corrected in the same way you attempted to correct me
Old 07-07-2005, 02:02 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. Learn something new everyday.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gsrteggrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">purplegsr, if your not mechanically inclined enough to go against what a ford master tech says, then keep the unknowlegeable comments under the rug and reveal them when you actually have true facts and knowlege about the ford system. Ford has a timing belt system that uses a cog style belt that runs from the crank to the cam shaft or shafts. This is found on the ford 2.0L DOHC zetec, 2.0L SPI, 2.3L OHC, and 2.5L OHC engines. A serpentine belt system ford also has but it is used to run your accessories such as water pump, power steering pump, alternator, A/C compressor and so on. The 2.0 DOHC zetec requires a stop that screws into the block to stop the crank at TDC and an alignment tool to fit the slotted ends of the two camshafts to align them to each other. If you would like me to type a whole post on how to go along this proceedure, I will be more than happy to contact my b/f and have him give me all the details on how to do this.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're so confident about him then he shouldn't have any problems working on a little four banger. I've worked on Fords, Dodges, GM, Internationals, and without every being a "master tech" and you don't see me getting all uptight about someone's opinion. Calm the **** down, purplegsr was adding a little sarcasm to his post.