Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

synthetic oil in my GSR

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil in my GSR

basically, my car has 161,000 kms on the odo (about 95000 miles)
and has only ever used conventional 5w30 it's whole life.
i'm interested in switching to a synthetic oil but i'm unsure if it's a safe thing to do.

i've searched this topic out the *** on here and ti.net but couldnt find a difinitive answer as virtually every post on the topc has conflicting answers.
i'm coming up on my next change and am thinking about using mobil 1 this time.

is it a good idea?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: synthetic oil in my GSR (hott-nix)

I'd say it's too late and might do more damage than good...

You should have switched a long time ago

BTW, my answer is based off of research/searching I did a while back

Modified by uzabatty at 11:54 AM 4/20/2005
Old 04-20-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: synthetic oil in my GSR (uzabatty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uzabatty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd say it's too late and might do more damage than good...

You should have switched a long time ago

BTW, my answer is based off of research/searching I did a while back </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true at all. The ONLY drawback of switching a high mileage car to synthetic is that the engine seals may be effectively 'sealed' by deposits and sludge from your conventional oil. When you put in synthetic oil, which tends to have a detergent additive package to clean those deposits, you run the risk of breaking down those seals because the synthetic oil cleans a lot of it up. This breakdown of seal deposits can lead to oil consumption. However, once you have done 2-3 oil changes on synthetic oil, you should notice a decrease in oil consumption and it should level out. Synthetic oil will provide excellent protection for your engine, and will allow you to use longer Oil Change Intervals (OCI). If you are just going to end up changing every 3,000 miles anyway, and use a decent conventional oil, you have no reason to switch. But if you would like to take advantage of the longer OCI and added protection, you should definitely pick a decent synth (Mobil1, Castrol Syntec, Amsoil, etc) and give it a go.

My example: I have a 92 Integra LS that I purchased with 132k miles. It had used conventional it's entire life. I switched to Mobil1 10w30 (I live in CA where it doesn't get below 20 deg F), and used an OCI of 4,000 miles for the first change. It probably burned about 3/4 of a quart over 4k, not bad. I continued the same routine, M1 10w30, added between 1/2 to 3/4 qt in between each change. After only 2 oil changes, the motor was only burning maybe 1/4 (so little that I didn't even have to add). Now it doesn't burn enough to notice, and I am using 5k mile intervals. The last time I popped off the valve cover for a valve adjustment, everything was so much cleaner than when I started. I now have 154k.

If you happen to experience too much consumption (&gt;1 qt every 3k), I would consider using a synthetic oil designed for high mileage motors. They have seal conditioners that prevent leaks, so that could work as well. IMO though, 95k on an integra shouldn't be considered high mileage

check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com, they have a good forum on oils, OCI, and Used Oil Analysis (UOA).
Old 04-20-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: synthetic oil in my GSR (purplegsr (Exospeed))

i'm getting more convinced that it's a good idea. i'm interested mostly in the added protection, but if i can go longer between changes, thats a bonus
Old 04-20-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: synthetic oil in my GSR (hott-nix)

What about a syn blend to start things off, and after a couple of oil changes go to full syn??
Old 04-20-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: synthetic oil in my GSR (Racermech)

thats a good idea
Old 04-20-2005, 08:50 AM

I am more inclined to go whole hog and make the switchover to full syn, keep a watch on the oil consumption (i.e. check the dipstick every 1,000 miles) so you have a really good idea about how your car is handling it. There are some synth blends and 'synthetics' that have crappier numbers than some conventional oils, and are made with Group III base stocks, etc. That is why I recommend looking at Bobistheoilguy (BITOG), they have UOAs for a variety of oils and advice about oil makers, important numbers to pay attention to, etc.

There are plenty of good quality synthetic blends, but I don't see a point unless you see too much burning from a full synth. I would prefer to make the switch to M1, if there is too much consumption, switch to Syntec, then to some high mileage full synth, and then if there is still ridiculous burning, go down to a synthetic blend or revert to Castrol GTX (conventional, but a very good one). Weight also can play a role in consumption, mine could handle it better because I am using 10w30, and will never need to switch back to 5w30 due to colder climate.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:00 AM

i think i might go and pick up mobil 1 then.

now i just have to find a better filter.
i've been using these generic white filters. and while they filter well, they seem too big and i dont think i'm getting good oil pressure.

any reccommendations in that department?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 AM

I have allways been a castrol guy myself, So i will have to check on Bobs site and see what he says about the GTX Syn Blend and the full syn. I need to do an oil change before i fire my car up......
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 AM

What can you guys tell me about "German" Castrol. The Castrol oil made in Germany (not the us syntec "blend") and sold in auto zones. I see alot of talk about it on BITOG but is it only in a 0/30 weight?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: synthetic oil in my GSR (INDYGSR)

Yes, it's a 0/30 weight, but if you look at the numbers (shearing, viscosity, etc) it is like running a 5w30 oil. I think it's a good solution for people in colder climates looking for a good 5w30 synthetic equivalent.

As for filters, I read all of those old school 'oil filter tests' where they cut stuff up and have tried a variety of filters.

The ones I like:
Purolator PureOne - very good protection, not the best flow, but decent enough

Purolator Plus - good protection, metal bypass valve, good flow numbes, well made. I think I read one review where the string that was used to allow the filter element to dry after gluing ended up slightly dinging the filter media, but it worked fine. (the Pepboys Proline filters are IDENTICAL to these, so save the 50 cents and buy Proline).

NAPA Gold (made by Wix) - cheap and good. I don't like NAPA's silver one though, it's comparable to a Fram.

Honda's Filtech made filters are always good. I know that Honeywell/Fram makes the other Honda filters in production, but they are made to Honda specs, so I don't think they are as bad as actually using a plain Fram filter. But I do know people who hate Fram so much that they now refuse to use Fram-made Honda filters, even if they are made to OEM spec.

K&N and Mobil1 filters are good, but very expensive.

Generally, Pennzoil and STP filters are made by Fram, so people tend to avoid them because they will have cardboard bypass valves, etc.

Modified by purplegsr (Exospeed) at 6:28 PM 4/20/2005
Old 04-20-2005, 09:36 AM

Damn, i have been using the fram, only because of the "Sure Grip", buess it is time for a change...lol
Old 04-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i switched to mobil 1 full synthetic in my lsvtec after 140k+ miles and never burned a drop.

btw, i also use the oem s2k filter, which is made in japan and uses the filtech element, i believe, as opposed to whatever element they switched to.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: synthetic oil in my GSR (LSvtec03)

IIRC, the OEM s2k ones, if made in Japan, use HAMP filters.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purplegsr (Exospeed) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not true at all. The ONLY drawback of switching a high mileage car to synthetic is that the engine seals may be effectively 'sealed' by deposits and sludge from your conventional oil. When you put in synthetic oil, which tends to have a detergent additive package to clean those deposits, you run the risk of breaking down those seals because the synthetic oil cleans a lot of it up. This breakdown of seal deposits can lead to oil consumption. However, once you have done 2-3 oil changes on synthetic oil, you should notice a decrease in oil consumption and it should level out. Synthetic oil will provide excellent protection for your engine, and will allow you to use longer Oil Change Intervals (OCI). If you are just going to end up changing every 3,000 miles anyway, and use a decent conventional oil, you have no reason to switch. But if you would like to take advantage of the longer OCI and added protection, you should definitely pick a decent synth (Mobil1, Castrol Syntec, Amsoil, etc) and give it a go.

My example: I have a 92 Integra LS that I purchased with 132k miles. It had used conventional it's entire life. I switched to Mobil1 10w30 (I live in CA where it doesn't get below 20 deg F), and used an OCI of 4,000 miles for the first change. It probably burned about 3/4 of a quart over 4k, not bad. I continued the same routine, M1 10w30, added between 1/2 to 3/4 qt in between each change. After only 2 oil changes, the motor was only burning maybe 1/4 (so little that I didn't even have to add). Now it doesn't burn enough to notice, and I am using 5k mile intervals. The last time I popped off the valve cover for a valve adjustment, everything was so much cleaner than when I started. I now have 154k.

If you happen to experience too much consumption (&gt;1 qt every 3k), I would consider using a synthetic oil designed for high mileage motors. They have seal conditioners that prevent leaks, so that could work as well. IMO though, 95k on an integra shouldn't be considered high mileage

check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com, they have a good forum on oils, OCI, and Used Oil Analysis (UOA).</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ couldn't have said it better myself
I'd like to add that if you want longer OICs and better protection you might want to check out AMSOIL.. they have 0w30 2000 series - good ****.. they claim you can run it for 35,000 miles or 1 year.. changing the filter (also amsoil) at 12,500 or 6 months

Its one of the newest products we've got at my shop and im going to check it out. But if you don't want to spend 7 bucks a quart... Mobil 1 synthetic is your best bet - its what im currently running
Old 04-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: synthetic oil in my GSR (VtecAdvantage)

after reading mobile ones faq's and what not on thier website, i felt pretty confident about putting synthetic in my 150,000 mile GSR. i just made the change 2500 miles go, no problems yet....
Old 04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The synthetic oil change being bad for your engine is a myth. One car I had had 110k on it (GM 3.8L V6) when it got switched to synthetic and it never consumed oil before or after.

BTW in my Integra I am going with Mobil 1 5w30 and Napa Gold filters with an OCI of 7500...
Old 04-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purplegsr (Exospeed) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IIRC, the OEM s2k ones, if made in Japan, use HAMP filters.</TD></TR></TABLE>
that's right. thanks.