Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Syncros in my tranny gone bad??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syncros in my tranny gone bad??

SO lately ive been noticing that when i shift into second gear, especially at high RPMS, it grinds. The clutch is all the way i know for sure. Ive had 3 other ppl try it and it does grind. Not everytime, but under hard and fast shifting. Im wondering if the syncros have gone bad in that gear or what. Ive done searching but im looking for some1 w/ experience with the same problem and what they had to do to fix it. Ive heard it could be the clutch but i dont think so, because second is the ony gear that does it. or ive heard the shift fork or tranny fluid. My GUESS is the syncros, but again im looking for some1 w/ experience. Also, how much did it cost to fix and is it fixable by myself?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Syncros in my tranny gone bad?? (GWInquisitor14)

change the tranny fluid to redline or GM syncromesh. try to adjust the clutch some (I did it on my cable tranny and it helped). If none of that works U will need a tranny rebuild, or just buy a used tranny and swap it in yourself. probably don't want to rebuild a tranny if you don't have experiance with it. can get $$$
Old 09-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Syncros in my tranny gone bad?? (Redtail)

How much is it for a tranny rebuild?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:33 PM

too damn expensive. I have the same problem as you. (2nd gear too... weird).

Try to find a transmission with an lsd already installed. It will be fun!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:49 PM

dude that sucks... just happened to a friend of mine too. he took it in, and they told him $1000 for a fix. i mean, thats paying for labor and stuff, but thats still expensive. He's just gonna by a new tranny
Old 09-29-2004, 05:03 AM

could be alot of things, clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, get it checked out
Old 10-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94IntegraNL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94IntegraNL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be alot of things, clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, get it checked out</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but if it was any of those, wouldn't it grind all gears??

Anyone w/ experience please help. I picked up some red line tranny fluid today ill see how that goes. The only thing im worried about is that the honda manual says to use 30 or 40 weight oil and the red line is 75 weight.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GWInquisitor14)

bump
Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GWInquisitor14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah but if it was any of those, wouldn't it grind all gears??

Anyone w/ experience please help. I picked up some red line tranny fluid today ill see how that goes. The only thing im worried about is that the honda manual says to use 30 or 40 weight oil and the red line is 75 weight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not neccesarily
Old 10-03-2004, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Syncros in my tranny gone bad?? (GWInquisitor14)

Whoa, the same **** happens to me to in my 2000 LS. It has only happend two times int the last two months but it freaked the **** out of me. The first time was at a regular 3k rpm shift and the other time was a few days ago at 6500 rpm. It feels really fucked up when it happens. Try to understand what i am describing: You put it in 2nd hard and you hear "vrrrrt" and it feels like a shocking vibration in your hand. It scared the **** out of me becuase i wasnt expecting it. Is this what you are experiencing?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Syncros in my tranny gone bad?? (hotsuma23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotsuma23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Try to understand what i am describing: You put it in 2nd hard and you hear "vrrrrt" and it feels like a shocking vibration in your hand. It scared the **** out of me becuase i wasnt expecting it. Is this what you are experiencing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is exactly what happened, what did u have to do about it or did u just leave it alone...? How many miles are on ur car?

Anyone else get this problem?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:20 AM

MINE DOES IT IN 3RD
Old 10-04-2004, 01:30 PM

mine does in third coming from 2nd at 5k
Old 10-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94teg_RS)

Mine used to be shifting into 2nd and shifting into 3rd so I changed my tranny fluid and used OEM Honda Tranny Fluid which u can get at a honda/acura dealership for like 5 bucks a quart and it stopped the grinding going into 3rd and helped out alot with my grinding goin into 2nd...but don't get me wrong, it could still be the syncro's or clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing as stated above...At high rpms shifting into 2nd gear it does it but im not to worried about it, i've just gotten used to it...im going to be needing/putting a new clutch in soon anyways so I will see what happens with that!

Old 10-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pjct2ndGenTeg)

I can 98% guarantee it is the syncros. Especially when you get a grind downshifting into second gear - VERY common problem with integras. Did you change the transmission fluid yet? Don't worry about the difference in oil weight - It will work fine as long as you got MTF. I put redline into the gearbox of my '67 Datsun roadster that had a bad 2nd gear grind up and down. It takes about 300 miles for the fluid to "wear" in, but now the grind is gone.
Changing the fluid is only a temporary fix though. The only way to truely fix the problem to do a tranny rebuild or put a new tranny in (which you will have to do eventually). How did it go?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: (Redtail)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GWInquisitor14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is exactly what happened, what did u have to do about it or did u just leave it alone...? How many miles are on ur car?

Anyone else get this problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, man I am not too worried about it, like I said it only happens once in a blue moon when driving hard usually. My car is a 2000 ls with 73k on the odo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redtail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can 98% guarantee it is the syncros. Especially when you get a grind downshifting into second gear - VERY common problem with integras. Did you change the transmission fluid yet? Don't worry about the difference in oil weight - It will work fine as long as you got MTF. I put redline into the gearbox of my '67 Datsun roadster that had a bad 2nd gear grind up and down. It takes about 300 miles for the fluid to "wear" in, but now the grind is gone.
Changing the fluid is only a temporary fix though. The only way to truely fix the problem to do a tranny rebuild or put a new tranny in (which you will have to do eventually). How did it go?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you mean UPshifting into second gear, like from 1st to 2nd or do you mean DOWNshifting from 3rd to 2nd? **** man, I dont know this seems to happen to alot of people.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hotsuma23)

I haven't changed the fluid yet, i will do it either thursday or this weekend. Im gonna drain it into a dish and sift for metal pieces, or is it not worth it. Ill keep you guys updated.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:34 PM

Ya, mines been doing that for a while too when I shift from 2nd to 3rd at a high RPM. It's got to the point where I have to shift very slowly when going into 3rd at anything over vtec. It makes me cringe every time I do it. Is there a cheaper fix than a complete transmission rebuild? I can't afford that 1,000 ****.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PlumCrazyGSR)

u can take your tranny apart, split the cases, and put the synchro in yourself. parts wouldnt be that much...

the synchro and gear comes as a set, so u have to buy that whole thing... getting that pressed bearing off the end of the shaft would be quite a bitch, and the shift linkage is yet another story...dont even slam a gsr gear set with lsd into an ls case... bearings are different, bearing housings are different sizes, the case has to be milled etc... i hate transmissions.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LSTEG96)

I'm having the same problem on 3rd gear I already replace the clutch. Still doing it so I guess I need a new trany or any other way to fix problem is annoying and it just keeps getting worse
Old 10-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LSTEG96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTEG96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u can take your tranny apart, split the cases, and put the synchro in yourself. parts wouldnt be that much...

the synchro and gear comes as a set, so u have to buy that whole thing... getting that pressed bearing off the end of the shaft would be quite a bitch, and the shift linkage is yet another story...dont even slam a gsr gear set with lsd into an ls case... bearings are different, bearing housings are different sizes, the case has to be milled etc... i hate transmissions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait so are u saying it is or isn't hard to replace the syncros?? I did change my tranny fluid, and i havent drivin it really hard lately but i did twice and it shifted good. Im thinkin this red line stuff works. The only thing is, i bought 2 liters and i guess u need 2.3 litters. I bought 2 because i went into Kings Motorsports, they are only 15 mins from my house, and they told me i need only 2 but when i put it in i checked the level and im short. I'll be going there today after school to get more.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:59 AM
PlastikOwl

3rd gear is usually the one that goes first.

Mine, sadly is also doing this. I double-clutch to get around it....no problems there.

But I'll be pulling the transmission apart and repolacing them with carbon coated synchros sometime in the near future. I've been feeling rather lazy though lately.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PlastikOwl)

Yeah, 2nds gear syncro is a weak spot in the integra's tranny. I have known plenty of people that get grinds when shifting down to second from third at high RPM.

Tranny fluid should be changed every 15xxx miles or so, if it is changed less often (I think there are plenty of people out there who don't even know there is fluid in the tranny) it will speed syncro wear. If you still get grinding going into second after letting the redline fluid wear in for a few hundred miles, double clutching may be your last resort before a tranny rebuild. There should be a thread on here somewhere about how to properly double clutch and why it works.......
Old 10-11-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: (Redtail)

when i shift hard into 2nd some times it grinds for like 1 sec or half a second is that what you guys are talking about???
Old 10-11-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: (IntegraLs94Cam)

i have the exact same problem on my 90 integra. most of the time i shift fast from 1st to 2nd on redline it grinds. but it never grinds at any other gears and it doesnt grind wen downshift to 2nd also. my friend told me to get gm synchromesh, so i hope it will fix the grinding.

Quick Reply: Syncros in my tranny gone bad??