Suspension Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Suspension Issues...

Have a 98 integra rs
- Lowered on function and form type one suspension
- aftermarket adjustable camber kit (which is adjusted to to positive camber)
- front right passenger wheel is pushed further back into the wheel well
I had a small issue with crashing into the sidewalk and car getting on the curb from the right side so I think my lca is bent

- so far I've gotten an alignment twice
First time I had stock UCA and my toe was corrected back to positive on both sides. Camber on the left side was -1.8 and on the right side it was -2.8, such a big difference. Alignment shop told me that I had to get a aftermarket camber kit to fix my camber since my car is lowered. I had a friend who had a extra camber kit lying around so I got that for free.
Second time I took it to a different alignment shop with the camber kit installed.
Alignment was done and they told me that my left side was fine but that the right will pull a bit due to my camber/caster
Left camber before was -1.8 but now 0.9 bcus of the camber kit
Left caster is 0.9
Right camber before is -2.8 but now is -2.1
Right caster is -1.8
I informed the alignment guy that I just had installed camber kits on both side with the same measurements of camber on both sides but the specs came out way different. He told me that to fix my problem that I will need to get a adjustable caster kit for the front. That I should buy them and he will do the alignment again for free, so he seemed honest bcus he wasn't trying to sell me the kits.
But after hours of reading I saw that people with the problem I have of negative caster is bcus the lca is bent and since it's bent the caster will never be close to spec. But shouldn't the camber kit fix the camber kit either way?

So now my question is should I go ahead and buy the adjustable caster kit install them and get aligned
Or
Replace the lower control arm and that should fix the wheel being pused back and fixing the caster.
At the moment I only have money for one of them, so which should I choose?
Thanks in advance and sorry if I repeated myself and for being long.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Issues...

I would fix the damaged pieces first and see where that gets you. You don't want to go to long on damaged/weakened suspension components....
Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, it would be best to fix damaged parts rather than have the alignment adjusted to spec with camber kits/caster kits because you can only adjust it so much.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I'd pull the front LCAs and have a look side-by-side to see if they're bent. If the LCA is bent I'd worry about the knucle as well.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a new lca and compared to my old one and the old one seemed to be the same shape as the new one, so I refunded the lca and bought the caster kit adjustment. Now I'm having trouble on the right side installing the caster kit/adjustment. The bolt don't line up correctly so I'm thinking I have a bent after market camber kit....:/