Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT DOING AN OIL CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT DOING AN OIL CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do i need to replace the washer thats with the drain plug every time i do an oil change? Also, should i buy the magnetic drain plug?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:54 PM

yes, you should replace the washer.
If you get your oil filters from honda, they give you some along witht he filter.

A magnetic drain plug isnt reallly 100% necessary, but if you want it, go for it.
They helpc ollect metal shavings and whatnot, so in theory its a great idea.
However, I just took my oil pan off, and I didnt see any sort of metal shavings, so I dont know how useful it would be.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:10 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (numbnuts22715)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numbnuts22715 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, you should replace the washer.
If you get your oil filters from honda, they give you some along witht he filter.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i bought my filter from the dealership i had to buy the washer too. it's only $.50 but still, those thieves!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doood)

I havent replaced the washer on mine the last few time. The last washer they gave me wasnt a crushed one so it can be reused.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much are the honda filter's for?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 PM
been there done that

Default Re: (integracura)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integracura &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much are the honda filter's for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think i got mine for about $7. cant remember exactly.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are they the best or are there better ones, and what is the point of replacing the washer cuz its just a washer i think you can just reuse them too.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: (integracura)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integracura &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are they the best or are there better ones, and what is the point of replacing the washer cuz its just a washer i think you can just reuse them too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I always get them for free.

I just replace it jsut because... I mean, why not, iI get them for free so whats it matter.

some people say HAMP oil filters are really good... But I dont know of anywhere that stocks those, and i dont want to have to order them from the internet.

OEM filters are what I prefer.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: (numbnuts22715)

I have used the same oil drain washer for about the last 20 oil changes, no leaks yet. I use Castrol GTX and PureOne oil filters with over 303K miles and its still in perfect running condition. I must be doing something right.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:59 PM
HT Black OPs

Default Re: (Sam92Teg)

go on ebay for the washers, they're cheap
Old 05-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00IntegrAllmotoR)

I use Mobil 1 oil filters
Old 05-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT DOING AN OIL CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (integracur

Purolater makes good filters...
Old 05-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT DOING AN OIL CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (integracur

Fram. Its just a filter. You'll never notice any difference. If your that concerned, use a KN Gold oil filter. About $12 each time though.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arsenal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fram. Its just a filter. You'll never notice any difference. If your that concerned, use a KN Gold oil filter. About $12 each time though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, exactly what i was gonna say. A filters a filter...i have a supertech on mine now, never had a problem with one and never heard of anyone that has had a problem with one. Just inspect the filter before you buy it. I have used a K&N oil filter on it before but theres just nothing to notice...besides a very strong casing and they give you a 1" nut thing to help get it off. Mobil 1 filters would be more beneficial on a heavily modified motor...not a pretty much stock 4 banger.

A good oil is what really matters. Full Synthetic is the way to go.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (Sam92Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have used the same oil drain washer for about the last 20 oil changes, no leaks yet. I use Castrol GTX and PureOne oil filters with over 303K miles and its still in perfect running condition. I must be doing something right.</TD></TR></TABLE>
303k miles
any rebuilds on it?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: (20ls01)

Nope, all stock internals except for a bent rod I had to replace when I hydro-locked it. Funny thing is, I reused the old piston, rod bearing, rings, head gasket and oil pan gasket. All I replaced was the one bent rod. Then about 1000 miles later, I replaced the rod bearing on that single rod, because I remember when I installed the original one back in, it had bad wear on half the bearing, lol, so I got nervous and swapped in a new bearing (both halves) on that rod. That was over 53K miles ago and alls well.

It doesn't burn oil except for a small puff at initial start-up, and that would be just alittle oil slipping past the valve seals as it sits. I don't have to add any oil between changes and it idles at rock solid 750rpms. I don't baby this car either, believe me. I feel that you have to rap a car out often to keep the rings sealed tight, and its just so much fun anyway to hear it near redline. I will rebuild it one day, but it would be neat to hit 400K miles on this stock engine before I do.

I have a 7.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, I, H, E and average around 32 mpg on 87 octane fuel. Runs like a top.

Modified by Sam92Teg at 10:18 PM 5/27/2007
Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Prince of Zamunda

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Uncle Willie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yup, exactly what i was gonna say. A filters a filter...i have a supertech on mine now, never had a problem with one and never heard of anyone that has had a problem with one. Just inspect the filter before you buy it. I have used a K&N oil filter on it before but theres just nothing to notice...besides a very strong casing and they give you a 1" nut thing to help get it off. Mobil 1 filters would be more beneficial on a heavily modified motor...not a pretty much stock 4 banger.

A good oil is what really matters. Full Synthetic is the way to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The Fram filters have crappy paper elements, shown by testing data, and when one takes it apart with a can opener they too can see for themselves.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay J &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Fram filters have crappy paper elements, shown by testing data, and when one takes it apart with a can opener they too can see for themselves. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And Fram makes supertech. Wix oil filters are built nearly identical to the overpriced Mobil1 filters and cost a bit less.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes I replace mine every time. I buy the washers 20 at a time for about $4 from Baranco Acura.

I've been using STP oil filters for well over 100K miles.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If i will use mobil1 synthetic which oil filter will last for about 5K or which on should i use?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay J &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The Fram filters have crappy paper elements, shown by testing data, and when one takes it apart with a can opener they too can see for themselves. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Trying to sound intelligent on a car forum is silly. Still, you should use 'one' instead of 'they' for agreement.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arsenal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Trying to sound intelligent on a car forum is silly. Still, you should use 'one' instead of 'they' for agreement.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You shoulnd't use "one" at all when referring to people. It makes you sound like a dork. I mean who actually talks like that in rl?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ac_attak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You shoulnd't use "one" at all when referring to people. It makes you sound like a dork. I mean who actually talks like that in rl?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well depends on the situation, but in this case, yes, he sounds like a dork.

Anyways, you don't need a new washer every time.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padronis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And Fram makes supertech. Wix oil filters are built nearly identical to the overpriced Mobil1 filters and cost a bit less.</TD></TR></TABLE>doesn't fram make oem ones now too?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integracura &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also, should i buy the magnetic drain plug? </TD></TR></TABLE>
This would be useful for a freshly built engine for the first couple 1000 miles to pull out all the metal **** that gets in there from your new parts being broken in.

Quick Reply: SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT DOING AN OIL CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!