Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny?

hey guys, i find myself rev matching every once and a while, im very good at it, i know the precise times to do it, and its very smooth, but i've heard some rumors that its bad for the clutch, tranny, motor...and so on. i just want to get some professional ideas, and comments, thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 PM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (sydegsr)

rev matching is meant to save the clutch and tranny so it doesn't lurch when you downshift. it is a good thing. heel-toe baby
Old 03-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (mrdeadman)

Rev matching is meant to help put less strain on your car.

If you plan on learning heel-toe or any other techniques make sure to do it when no one else is out on the road, until you gain some more experience.

Ali
Old 03-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (mrdeadman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrdeadman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rev matching is meant to save the clutch and tranny so it doesn't lurch when you downshift. it is a good thing. heel-toe baby </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, it's a good thing.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Semper Fidelis

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (97CGPintegra)

Call me a noob or thread jack, but WTF is rev matching?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (SlammedDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlammedDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Call me a noob or thread jack, but WTF is rev matching?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shifting down and matching where the engine will rev to once in the lower gear. So...say if you're at 4000rpm in 4th when you shift down to 3rd the revs will go up to around 6500rpm, so while you have the clutch in going to 3rd you 'blip' the gas to rev the engine to 6500 so when you release the clutch to be in 3rd you'll already be at the right rpm. Oh and you're not a noob because you asked to be informed instead of being an *** and pretending to know what's up.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (negtegra.)

It is good if you still use the clutch.

If you are shifting without using the clutch, then it can hurt.

I have drove cars that i have had to use no clutch because the pressure plate wont disengage. It is hard on the transmission.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Semper Fidelis

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (ImportMotorSpec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by negtegra. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shifting down and matching where the engine will rev to once in the lower gear. So...say if you're at 4000rpm in 4th when you shift down to 3rd the revs will go up to around 6500rpm, so while you have the clutch in going to 3rd you 'blip' the gas to rev the engine to 6500 so when you release the clutch to be in 3rd you'll already be at the right rpm. Oh and you're not a noob because you asked to be informed instead of being an *** and pretending to know what's up.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thank you.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportMotorSpec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is good if you still use the clutch.

If you are shifting without using the clutch, then it can hurt.

I have drove cars that i have had to use no clutch because the pressure plate wont disengage. It is hard on the transmission. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no kidding, how did you even disengage the current gear and reengage without comming to a complete stop... and then why wouldnt your car die then... how did you even get it started moving... i am curios, did you start the car in neutral, then rev up to about 1500 so then when you dropped it into first it didnt kill your car... i dont see how this is feasible, sorry call me a noob if you want, someone please explain how he didnt always kill the engine
Old 03-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Semper Fidelis

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (SlamminS85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlamminS85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no kidding, how did you even disengage the current gear and reengage without comming to a complete stop... and then why wouldnt your car die then... how did you even get it started moving... i am curios, did you start the car in neutral, then rev up to about 1500 so then when you dropped it into first it didnt kill your car... i dont see how this is feasible, sorry call me a noob if you want, someone please explain how he didnt always kill the engine</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think what he ment was not using the clutch in gears 2-5. I have seen people shift while driving without ever using the clutch. I dont know what this accomplishes. Am I right ImportMotorSpec?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:37 AM

I rev-match every single time I downshift to a lower gear. Rev-matching will definately help save your tranny and clutch.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (GSR_96814)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlammedDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think what he ment was not using the clutch in gears 2-5. I have seen people shift while driving without ever using the clutch. I dont know what this accomplishes. Am I right ImportMotorSpec?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes that is what i was talking about. You did a little better job of explaining. Thank you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlamminS85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no kidding, how did you even disengage the current gear and reengage without comming to a complete stop... and then why wouldnt your car die then... how did you even get it started moving... i am curios, did you start the car in neutral, then rev up to about 1500 so then when you dropped it into first it didnt kill your car... i dont see how this is feasible, sorry call me a noob if you want, someone please explain how he didnt always kill the engine</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a friend push me in neutral as fast as he with the car running and then just jammed it into first gear. It took a lot of force. It was a customers car and he didnt want to pay for a tow bill. You cant get going you cant stop. I kept having to turn at stop lights and whip a bitch and hopefully make it on green. I got lucky and hit like 5 green lights in a row.

It is pretty easy once you get going, you just rev match it to wither up or down shift. It is easiest if you rev past the engagement point and then let it idle down with pressure into what ever gear you want and it will just pop right in. I have never ground a gear doing it this way. A lot of mustang guys do it, but there geaqr shifter is connected directly to the transmission, no shift linkage. I believe there term is power shifting. It is bad when there is a shift linkage connecting because there is flex and play in the linkage which makes it more likely to grind the gears.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright cool, thanks for the posts guys, the info was helpful

just wanted to make sure i was in no way hurting my teg
Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 AM
TiredToyotaDriver

as stated above, rev-matching is a GOOD thing... def. saves your clutch/tranny...less painful on the motor, too... try downshifting without matching your revs... you'll see : )
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 AM
RX3
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (TiredToyotaDriver)

Breaks are cheaper that the clutch, tranny and motor easy to change use them to stop the car that is why they put them on all 4 wheels.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (RX3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RX3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Breaks are cheaper that the clutch, tranny and motor easy to change use them to stop the car that is why they put them on all 4 wheels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true, but you still downshift sometimes (when passing or whatever), and you should ALWAYS ALWAYS rev-match when downshifting. In fact, I can't NOT do it, it's 2nd nature to me.

Heel-toe downshifting is another story. This is completely unnecessary on the street. It can be difficult to learn (basically rev-matching downshifting while braking at the same time), and it's great to use on the track or autocross, but there really is no reason to be doing this on the street.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (GSR_96814)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSR_96814 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I rev-match every single time I downshift to a lower gear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:32 AM
RX3
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (Tornadom)

Try reading this you may learn some thing new.

http://g-speed.com/pbh/double-clutch.html
Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (Tornadom)

Yes, I also always rev match while downshifting. I also downshift into each lower gear while coming to a stop to aid in my braking. is this bad for my motor/tranny? dont mean to thread jack.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good read, he is correct that simple rev-matching when downshifting won't save synchronizers any work. I say they are there, might as well use them. However, it DOES save strain and stress on the clutch disc and pressure plate, because if you simply downshift and engage the clutch, then the layshaft (as he puts it) is spinning faster than the engine, and the layshaft is going to force the engine to a higher speed, and it does that by massive friction as you engage the clutch PP and disc together.

So rev-matching when down-shifting is still important, even on synchronized transmissions.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (chubz0r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chubz0r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, I also always rev match while downshifting. I also downshift into each lower gear while coming to a stop to aid in my braking. is this bad for my motor/tranny? dont mean to thread jack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's probably worse on the engine than the trans, only because it's not necessary to do. Making the engine slow down the car is going to put more stress on the engine and clutch, just because it's running at higher RPM to slow down the car.

You have brakes, unless they're not working properly (in which, get them fixed NOW), just use them to slow down and stop the car.

It's more important to rev-match and downshift when you intend to accelerate and you need more power.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 AM
TiredToyotaDriver

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chubz0r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, I also always rev match while downshifting. I also downshift into each lower gear while coming to a stop to aid in my braking. is this bad for my motor/tranny? dont mean to thread jack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is a bad idea... your brakes were meant to slow your car down... the more you use your clutch, the faster it will wear and need to be replaced... switching into every gear while slowing to a stop def. creates unnecessary wear and tear on your engine, clutch, pp, transmission, ETC... throw it in neutral, use your brakes!!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (TiredToyotaDriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiredToyotaDriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a bad idea... your brakes were meant to slow your car down... the more you use your clutch, the faster it will wear and need to be replaced... switching into every gear while slowing to a stop def. creates unnecessary wear and tear on your engine, clutch, pp, transmission, ETC... throw it in neutral, use your brakes!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually it's a better idea to leave it in gear when slowing down, then shift to neutral just before stopping. Coasting in neutral is dangerous, and even illegal in some states (not that you would be able to prove it one way or another, I just know it is).
Old 03-21-2006, 10:03 AM

Only you can decide which component you want to put the friction/wear on, the clutch disk or the brake pads. Doesn't hurt either, but every time you use the brakes or engage the clutch disk to the flywheel, wear is occuring to the friction material. I personally choose to use my brakes and save my clutch, but to each his own.

Coasting in nuetral dangerous/illegal? That's the first time I have ever heard of this ever being mentioned. Can you please explain as to why it would be dangerous/illegal to put your car in nuetral as you slow down to a red light?

I have a light weight flywheel, so I decellerate very quickly while in gear, so I would actually have to give it gas to decellerate at a more appropriate pace, respecting the drivers behind me. So to keep it in gear, I would use more gas.

Please enlighten me because I love to learn everything automotive, and this seems a bit far fetched to me. But with your post count, I am hardly doubting you.

Modified by Sam92Teg at 7:25 PM 3/21/2006
Old 03-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Re: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny? (Sam92Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam92Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Coasting in nuetral dangerous/illegal? That's the first time I have ever heard of this ever being mentioned. Can you please explain as to why it would be dangerous/illegal to put your car in nuetral as you slow down to a red light?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only bad thing I can remember about coasting is you shouldn't do it around corners. It's better to have the car in gear for weight distribution between front and back. Or something like that.

To the original poster: I rev match all the time because of my short gearing, although some ppl think I'm revving at them because I'm constantly in the upwards of 4-5000 rpms.

Quick Reply: rev matching, bad for the motor or tranny?