Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Regular gas in a GS-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Regular gas in a GS-R

I'm hearing reports that there will be shortages of 93 octange gas around here, and we may only have regular for awhile. How would running that in my GS-R affect it? I'd like to hope that it's not going to happen, my car has never had anything put in its tank ever other than 93 octane goodness.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you referring to regular? 87? 89?

i think if you HAD to run 89, going into vtec rpms would be detremental to the car.

and also from what i hear adding an octane booster ISN'T the way to help things out.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

87 octane = regular.

We may not have 89 or 93 octane around here for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

if you have too just be careful and drive the car slow! Don't put a big load on it, the ecu can pull timing to some degree but not much.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it'll run like **** most likely, maybe not at first, but this gas problem is forcasted to be like this for almost a year or longer.

just don't hit vtec and be easy on her.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:43 AM

If you have a gsr and you "enjoy" driving it, then use a higher octane rating if you can help it. Otherwise, drive it nice
Old 09-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DAguyLS)

My friend (a true idiot) ran 87 octane in his 95 GS-R for years because it was cheaper. When he got a good paying job he started using 92 octane and noticed a increase in gas mileage (I think it was 3 mpg) so he stuck with the premium from then on in. But during the 87 octane days he frequently hit VTEC.

Apparently the ECU compensates for the cheaper gas by dumping more of it in. More gas brings the temperatures down a bit and keeps you from knocking.

I would definetely follow everyone's advice and just go easy on the car during that time.

But if you are really really worried about it, go to Wal-Mart and buy about 10 of those 5 gallon gas containers (I think they cost around $5 or $6 a piece ???) and fill em all up. Cost you an arm, leg, and firstborn child for all the gas, but if prices keep going up it may save you money in the long run. And you can keep filling your GS-R with premium gas during that time.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bfg2122)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bfg2122 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have a gsr and you "enjoy" driving it, then use a higher octane rating if you can help it. Otherwise, drive it nice </TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh? I have always used 93 octane, never anything else. But for awhile we might have nothing but 87 octane.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Huh? I have always used 93 octane, never anything else. But for awhile we might have nothing but 87 octane.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's a newbie lol

I think you'll be okay so long as you don't hit VTEC, you can always add mothballs
Old 09-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drive somewhere that has some higher oct? i'm still gettin 94 oct out here thank god
Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 AM
JDMoMo

Default Re: (LoseRPunKx182)

crap just nothing but crap........the reason people put 93 is because they never ran anything else in their life b4.........just because the manual says so......
Ill tell u this right now.....anyone has a problem w/ dat can kiss my ***........
Ive ran 87 on my gsr since 02 and in 3 years....ive never had problems....hit V-tec at least 5-10 times a day...no prob...... so if any1 tells me that 93 is da only way to go then thats bs cause ive had first hand experience for over 3 years now....

If ur boosted then I wont way anything.......my car isnt boosted yet so I dont know.....

Go w/ 87 and u'll be fine.......after all ure not doing it for 3 years like me, just for a few weeks...
Old 09-01-2005, 11:49 AM
* B A N N E D *

why do you use 93? I use 91 and thats fine.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: (xteg95)

Its because I'm a newbie that you don't understand what I said. Right....... I put the word "enjoy" in quotes instead of saying sprited driving. In other words what I was trying to say is that lower octane will be fine as long as you drive your car nice and soft.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When Honda tests their motors they use Octane ratings from high to low. Starting with the highest octane they gradually lower it until they detect trace amounts of ping. This testing is done under harder driving than normal. Basically they try to cause engine pining so that they know which grade of octane will be the safest for their motors. They will recommend the lowest octane rating which will not allow for ping. So, considering that most of us here on this forum are "spirited drivers", it should be okay to use a lower octane rating as long as you change your driving habits while doing so. Nice and easy
Old 09-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bfg2122)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bfg2122 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its because I'm a newbie that you don't understand what I said. Right....... I put the word "enjoy" in quotes instead of saying sprited driving. In other words what I was trying to say is that lower octane will be fine as long as you drive your car nice and soft. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No I said that because you didnt answer the question he asked.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bfg2122 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have a gsr and you "enjoy" driving it, then use a higher octane rating if you can help it. Otherwise, drive it nice </TD></TR></TABLE>

You said for his to use a higher octance if he "enjoys" driving his car, his question states that there will be nothing higher than 87 to put into his car and he can NOT help it.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DARKEMOTION)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DARKEMOTION &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you use 93? I use 91 and thats fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>I can't even get 91 where I live... only 87, 89, and 93.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nub.96ek)

don't even worry about it... i put 89 in all the time cuz gas is expensive as hell in my 99 gsr... if i were to put 87, just don't be too heavy on the gas.. you'll be fine.. the ecu should retard the timing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThePro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend (a true idiot) ran 87 octane in his 95 GS-R for years because it was cheaper. When he got a good paying job he started using 92 octane and noticed a increase in gas mileage (I think it was 3 mpg) so he stuck with the premium from then on in. But during the 87 octane days he frequently hit VTEC.

Apparently the ECU compensates for the cheaper gas by dumping more of it in. More gas brings the temperatures down a bit and keeps you from knocking.

I would definetely follow everyone's advice and just go easy on the car during that time.

But if you are really really worried about it, go to Wal-Mart and buy about 10 of those 5 gallon gas containers (I think they cost around $5 or $6 a piece ???) and fill em all up. Cost you an arm, leg, and firstborn child for all the gas, but if prices keep going up it may save you money in the long run. And you can keep filling your GS-R with premium gas during that time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

premium gasoline burns more slowly versus regular unleaded.. thus the ecu compensates by retarding the timing, not dumping in more fuel.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Regular gas in a GS-R (PatrickGSR94)

when i 1st time got my car. used 00gsr. i filled her with 87..lol
since that day my gas guage is fuked..lol somereason i dont know...
Old 09-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

btw.. if you can't get 93 at the gas stations... you can always mix your own gasoline.. i forgot the formula, but if you search, you'll find numerous threads about it... supplies can be bought at home-depot, wal-mart, autozone, etc.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

Wow. Some of you guys act like putting in 87 octane is the dumbest thing you can ever do.

Well do some research. Premium fuel is a necessary evil for ppl with high compression and forced induction. You actually can produce more power out of 87 octane. (Which also brings up the whole limp mode controversy.)

Instead of goin through a friggen chemistry lesson you guys can look it up on site like bobistheoilguy.com. I also think a few magazines, an import tuner mags (i think i have that article as a pdf file. i'll look for it) and car craft (oh no domestic ) did some pretty indepth research on what octane is necessary for what compression and the losses that happen using the wrong octane.

Please chime in chem nuts or engine tuning pros.

Currently rockin' 87 octance in the gisser cus 10:1 aint high
Old 09-01-2005, 05:22 PM
JDMoMo

Heres what I found on http://www.itrsport.com/specifications.html

*Use for comparison purposes only. California figures are the same. Your mileage may vary. Gasoline with an octane number lower than 91 may be used, with reduced performance.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Regular gas in a GS-R (JDMoMo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMoMo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres what I found on http://www.itrsport.com/specifications.html

*Use for comparison purposes only. California figures are the same. Your mileage may vary. Gasoline with an octane number lower than 91 may be used, with reduced performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And I bet reduced fuel economy, too.

I topped off my tank this morning, drove 96 miles today, and topped off again this afternoon with 2.5 gallons. That's 38.4 mpg.

I bet that 87 octane with the ECU retarding ignition timing would reduce my fuel economy, not to mention performance (not that I care about performance right now).

Okay so all that aside, specs call for ignition timing to be 16 deg. +/-2 deg. BTDC. Like most GS-R owners I'm running my timing at the +2 setting of 18 deg. BTDC. If I it should happen that I can only get 87 octane, should I go ahead and adjust the timing back to 16 or even 14 BTDC?

As for the question as to why I use 93 octane, it's because we are lucky to have that available instead of that 91-octane mess that California is stuck with.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 PM

The ECU knows when you're using regular gas and compensates for it.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Regular gas in a GS-R (JDMoMo)

I always thought GSR's required 91 octane. If you only have 87, 89, and 93, you could try mixing 5 gallons of 87 and 5 gallons of 93 and save quite a bit of money and also be around the recommended 91 octane. I doubt that you won't be able to get premium at the pump since it is required for many vehicles, but with the current fuel situation, anything could happen.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do what i would take the bus....

Quick Reply: Regular gas in a GS-R