Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Rear quarter panels restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear quarter panels restoration

I'm in the process of repairing rear quarter panels/fenders. Unfortunately they are very rusty in my '94 Integra.

I wonder if you have any hints how to do it in the best, reliable way. I live in Europe, so there is almost impossible to get these spare parts from salvaged cars, because there were not too many integras in Europe.

Maybe someone used some patches from different models to rebuild above the wheel areas of the panels?

I hope I'm not the only one with such problem (-;
Old 10-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear quarter panels restoration

I recently bought a 2000 GS-R with some rust on the rear quarters, so far it just seems to be surface rust and it has not perforated the panels yet. The car was daily driven for 18 years by the previous owner including Canadian winters (lots of salt used here). The areas are being repaired and repainted as we speak.

When I got the car this summer I removed all of the interior plastic panels and I was able to inspect the inside surfaces of the outer body panels, and the insides of the door cavities. It was a good thing I did that as rust was forming on the interior surfaces of the outer body panels. I took a wire wheel to the panels and ground off as much surface rust as I could reach. I sprayed the panels down with rust converter , and then coated them with rust killer paint/primer. I then sprayed all cavities liberally with rust protectant spray/coating.

I followed the same process for the two side rocker rail cavities there are inspection hole plugs for the rail cavities in the front and rear wheel wells I removed the plugs and gave the rail cavities a spray down with rust converter fluid and rust protectant coating using compressed air and a long wand attachment. You really need to access as many cavities as possible as these cars rust from the inside out

If you have perforated body panels right now you need to cut them out and replace them with new metal, if that was the case in my situation I would hire a body shop guy to do the removal and repairs. Then follow up with heavy duty rust protectant coatings. Do it right and it should last a very long time worry free. I'm having my paint resprayed to freshen it up as it was looking a bit dull. I'll end up spraying the wheel wells and underside of the rockers with rubberized rocker guard spray when it comes home to seal off those areas from stone chips, and then top coated with rust protectant to protect against moisture. There is no such thing as too much, the one thing that I hate most about vehicles is rust, I can't stand seeing any spots of rust on my vehicles Many people refer to the Honda rust as a cancer, as it does spread if left unchecked Get it treated and cut out as needed and protect against future spots from surfacing. Good luck.