Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

probelm with the teg

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default probelm with the teg

ok the thing here is 3 of my wheel studs just snapped off.

i took the rotor of and now i need to know how to replace the studs IN DETAIL and pics wouldn't hurt either. cuz if i don't have this fixed my 12 midnight on the 14th my car is gettin towed.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probelm with the teg (MysticSpade)

take your rotor apart, use like a axle bolt and pound out the hub(make sure the bearings dont fly out), pound out the stud and add new one....
Old 07-13-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: probelm with the teg (Moua)

see right now i seriously don't get what you mean.

the brake rotor itself is off. what i see when i look at it is a hex-nut prolly a 28mm or higher and where the studs are broke off.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:35 AM

ya idon tknow either i've had 3 studs on 2 of my wheels for like 8 months now, its no joke tryin to put them in... no joke! i still cant do it, i think its b/c my car is like rusted together now... old teg
Old 07-14-2004, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: probelm with the teg (MysticSpade)

I'm guessing you're talking about the front?? The studs are easy to change in the back... But there's not enough room to get them out/in at the front, at least on my '95. What year is yours, anyway?

The big axle nut is staked down into a groove on the axle end. Get a nail or something & work that out. Loosen that big nut with the car on the ground, you'll probably need a pipe on your wrench.

Since you can't do it that way (with 3 broken studs) maybe you can clamp your brake rotor back on, stick a screwdriver in a vent hole, so it wedges against the caliper bracket? Somehow, it might not be real easy to get that big nut off.

That big nut holds the axle into the hub & holds the bearings together. Jack up the car, take that nut off, push the axle in to see if it slides OK. If not, you might need some liquid wrench or wd40 or ??

Separate the upper & lower ball joints & the tie rod end. Take off the steering knuckle - the axle slides out & stays in the tranny.

If you don't have a press, you can carry the knuckle with the bearing & hub to a shop...

The hub is the part with the wheel studs installed into it's flange. Press it out from the wheel bearing, this usually destroys the bearing. Then you'll have to also press the bearing out from the knuckle. If the outer bearing cone pulls apart & stays attached to the hub, you won't get the bearing back together successfully.

Now that the hub is out, you can press new studs into it.

Then put it all back together

edit....

Hub is #5, wheel bearing is #4.
Steering knuckle is the middle of this bottom picture, #2 & 3 include the balljoints, too.

Modified by JimBlake at 10:12 AM 7/14/2004
Old 07-14-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Re: (DriveSideWays)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DriveSideWays &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya idon tknow either i've had 3 studs on 2 of my wheels for like 8 months now, its no joke tryin to put them in... no joke! i still cant do it, i think its b/c my car is like rusted together now... old teg</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you tried to use a bench clamp (not sure if thats what it's called) and press them off, then get ur new ones and hammer them in or press them in?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Re: (..::91TEG-G2::..)

i just did one of my rears over the weekendend,piece of cake,didnt even have to take the rotor off,tapped out the broken stud,put the new one in,tapped it in as far as i could then,put a closed end wrench between the rotor and nut,tightened it down to pull the stud through all the way and i was done,put the brakes back together,slap the wheel..
Old 07-14-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (b18b-se)

i have a 1991 GS and i am broke as hell and don't know anyone with the tools that could help me for like $3 ya know.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (MysticSpade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MysticSpade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 1991 GS...</TD></TR></TABLE>So are you talking about the front?? If not, the rear ones are easy because there's lots of room behind the hub flange.

I've been told that for some years(?) the steering knuckle has a notch or some kinda cut out. So you spin the hub to position a stud at the cut-out. Then there's just enough room to push the broken stud out & pull the new one in. If that's true for '91 then you're in luck.