Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR?

What are the performance gains, if any, of putting an ITR exhaust on a GSR??
Old 05-06-2002, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (ebelp)

Also, what is the difference between the JDM ITR exhaust, and the non-JDM?
Old 05-06-2002, 06:39 PM

The '98 and newer JDM ITR's have 2.5" pipes while all other tegs have 2.25" pipes.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (MrFatBooty)

Is it good to get the full header back exhaust???
Old 05-06-2002, 07:23 PM
New User

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (SleepinGSR)

I've never understood this mod. I realize that the main difference is to keep everything stock/sleeper looking, but why pay a few hundred for a used non-mandrel bent exhaust when you can spend an extra 100 or so and get a brand new or very slightly used aftermarket exhaust? I know that the ITR exhausts flow, I believe 30% better or so, but to me it just seems pointless.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (SleepinGSR)

The biggest restriction in the exhaust is the pipes and muffler itself. If you have a decent header and non-clogged-up cat with 2.5" pipes and a nice muffler that'll flow plenty.

I wouldn't buy like a used JDM '98-'01 ITR exhaust, that'd probably cost way too much.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:40 PM

any exhaust which is aftermarket is a target to our fellow law enforcement esp. in california which in due terms give u a fixing ticket in which over time be a hassle and cost money in tickets in the long run....just from exp. as for performance numbers not too bad....don't u love the loopholes in every new cvc code they make
Old 05-06-2002, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (Waxing "The Carrot")

GSR and non-GSR are 2.25" and non-mandrel bent.

ITR's 2.5" stainless steel and its mandrel bent.

Some tracks dont permit having a loud exhaust. I think some events in Laguna Seca only permit 95dB. Where as having an ITR exhaust, it would definately put you under that 95 mark.

I have an ITR catback on my car. Gains are minimal but Im just running basic boltons. Sound is good too. I dont like loud cars anymore.

Full ITR catbacks go for 200+. I think thats a GREAT investment considering how strict cops are these days.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (Crazy Bovine)

I was once pulled over for a speeding ticket, but after I successfully talked my way into getting a mere "warning" the officer attempted to ticket me for my aftermarket exhaust. I told him it was factory installed by acura and did not violate CA noise laws. He let me go

BTW, I have a comptech catback exhaust system
Old 05-06-2002, 09:22 PM

The only 2.5" setup I know of is the 98-up JDM ITR. You sure the USDM stuff is 2.5"?

Regardless, you can make a relatively quiet custom setup with 2.5" pipes, a good resonator and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm almost sure it's like this for USDM:

RS/LS/GS/SE: 1.91"
GS-R: 2.00"
Type R: 2.25" mandrel bent
Old 05-06-2002, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (White98LS)

I was doing a visual measurement
Old 05-07-2002, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So the performance gains are minimal??!
Old 05-07-2002, 05:05 AM

Is their a way to run a supercharger with a ITR exhaust? or would u have to go a bit bigger?
Old 05-07-2002, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a dyno?
Old 05-07-2002, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (White98LS)

A USDM Type R exhaust is NOT 2.5".
Old 05-07-2002, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (Waxing "The Carrot")

I've never understood this mod. I realize that the main difference is to keep everything stock/sleeper looking, but why pay a few hundred for a used non-mandrel bent exhaust when you can spend an extra 100 or so and get a brand new or very slightly used aftermarket exhaust? I know that the ITR exhausts flow, I believe 30% better or so, but to me it just seems pointless.
The ITR exhaust is mandrel bent and I beleive it's stainless steel too. I tell people that I got a slight but noticable improvement with just my ITR axle-back and they think I'm BS'ing. Then they go off and say it's not as good as aftermarket because how it's not mandrel bent, it doesn't flow good, it's not straight through, etc. Obviously, they are the ones that are completely full of ****. I'm not saying that the ITR exahust is the best performing one available, but I've yet to hear from someone who can give an intelligent reason for why aftermarket exhausts are "so much better". I think many people are just insecure about their exhausts and have to trash on anything that resembles stock and people like me who want a quiet performance exhaust instead of one that needlessly amplifies the engine noise.

If you don't know what you're talking about then shut your mouth. Don't pass off hearsay and your assumptions as fact. If you aren't sure what you're talking about, then be a big enough person to admit that. I'll gladly listen to someone who has an intelligent opinion, but there is just a ridiculous number of people who obviously have virtually no understanding of physics but go around acting like they have a PhD in it. I'm pretty fvcking sick of know-it-all's that know nothing.

Old 05-07-2002, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (Weston)

Its probably the fact the Type R exhaust cost soo much for a used exhaust system. You can buy a pretty nice exhaust for about the same price and its new. Most of the people out there really are buying exhaust cause its loud and sounds fast.

If I had to choose an exhaust again I would not have purchased the one I have now. Too big. Its all on personal prefernce I guess. Exhaust is not going to give you that much HP. If you go Turbo your probably going to have to replace it all anyways with bigger piping.

[Modified by Fooser, 7:38 PM 5/7/2002]
Old 05-07-2002, 10:42 AM
New User

GSR and non-GSR are 2.25" and non-mandrel bent.

ITR's 2.5" stainless steel and its mandrel bent.

gsr and non-gsr are not 2.25 and usdm ITR is not 2.5 do some research before stating facts that arent true.

Full ITR catbacks go for 200+. I think thats a GREAT investment considering how strict cops are these days.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:47 AM
New User

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (Weston)

The ITR exhaust is mandrel bent and I beleive it's stainless steel too. I tell people that I got a slight but noticable improvement with just my ITR axle-back and they think I'm BS'ing. Then they go off and say it's not as good as aftermarket because how it's not mandrel bent, it doesn't flow good, it's not straight through, etc. Obviously, they are the ones that are completely full of ****. I'm not saying that the ITR exahust is the best performing one available, but I've yet to hear from someone who can give an intelligent reason for why aftermarket exhausts are "so much better". I think many people are just insecure about their exhausts and have to trash on anything that resembles stock and people like me who want a quiet performance exhaust instead of one that needlessly amplifies the engine noise.

If you don't know what you're talking about then shut your mouth. Don't pass off hearsay and your assumptions as fact. If you aren't sure what you're talking about, then be a big enough person to admit that. I'll gladly listen to someone who has an intelligent opinion, but there is just a ridiculous number of people who obviously have virtually no understanding of physics but go around acting like they have a PhD in it. I'm pretty fvcking sick of know-it-all's that know nothing.
he was just stating his opinion. you have no right to tell him to shut his mouth. heresay?(is that what you were trying to say) aren't you the one who is saying "i BELIEVE that it is stainless steel?""i got a somewhat noticeable improvement" -did you put your car on a dyno or doing an *** dyno? what the hell do you know about physics??? are you a physics major /professor?? even if you are, you didn't state any logical reasoning behind youre bitching. it seems as though YOU are a little insecure about having an ITR exhaust and the only reason you can state for having it is that "you dont like loud exhausts".. I am not a physics professor either but i believe some of the reasons why SOME aftermarket exhausts might be better is because of their design/flow configuration/quality of welds/ and countless hours of R&D...proof lays out in dynos...this is debatable but commonly accepted. Dont try to come on here and act like youre a god...and allow what can /can't be said idiot.

[Modified by ALLMOTORDC2, 12:49 PM 5/7/2002]
Old 05-07-2002, 01:39 PM
New User

The only 2.5" setup I know of is the 98-up JDM ITR. You sure the USDM stuff is 2.5"?

Regardless, you can make a relatively quiet custom setup with 2.5" pipes, a good resonator and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.
all tegs are 1.75 inch non mendrel bent piping
ITR (USDM) are 2.25 stainless mendrel bent. i dotn know about you guys but i recently put one on, along with a high-flow cat and i noticed a difference
Old 05-07-2002, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (Nighthawk GS-R)

Oh, I just assumed stock was 2.25" since that's what most of the aftermarket stuff is. In that case then to the ITR catback.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:15 PM

I never said it was fact. In fact Im wrong. But Im learning just as much as the rest of us are. I have an ITR exhaust and "thought" 2.5" because I have a Car-Sound 2.5" cat.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:43 PM

so will a itr exhaust restrict performance when i get a supercharger? or is it fine?
Old 05-07-2002, 05:59 PM
New User

Default Re: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR? (inteGSR)

3" thermal will allow adequate flow once supercharged...or any 3" for that matter. im not really one for "custom made" however.

Quick Reply: Performance gains of ITR exhaust on a GSR?