Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Overheated on the Interstate (part identification needed) Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated on the Interstate (part identification needed) Thanks

Hello. I appreciate any help that anyone can give me on this problem I had yesterday. I was driving home on the interstate and I noticed my temperature gauge pinged on Hot. I pulled over and the car was smoking like crazy, popped the hood and coolant was everywhere. Waited for an hour for someone to bring me more coolant and water, filled it up, drove it home over 70 miles and it was fine. My question is; what could have caused this? Thermostat maybe? The radiator cap remained on the entire time.

I looked for leaks and couldn't see anything, and I let it sit overnight and there is no puddles of coolant under the car. When I looked around I found this part which looks odd and I have no idea what it is. If someone could identify it for me and tell me if it is normal for it to look like that, I would greatly appreciate it. The plastic piece in question comes on and off rather easily and leaves a metal tube.

As you can see, the car sprayed coolant everywhere. Thanks in advance guys. And I apologize for the sorry cell phone pictures. '01 GSR.

Modified by forumnoobie at 2:26 PM 1/4/2008

Modified by forumnoobie at 2:59 PM 1/4/2008
Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the coolant level again today to see if its low again? i would def pressure check the system to see if there are any leaks first. or if its bad enough you can fill the coolant up and then start the car with the hood open to see where its coming from. if there are no leaks i would suspect the thermostat.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (supracrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supracrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you check the coolant level again today to see if its low again? i would def pressure check the system to see if there are any leaks first. or if its bad enough you can fill the coolant up and then start the car with the hood open to see where its coming from. if there are no leaks i would suspect the thermostat. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just went outside and started the car up and let it sit for a few minutes. I don't see coolant dripping from anywhere, or underneath the car. How do I check the coolant level as it stands now?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (forumnoobie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by forumnoobie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just went outside and started the car up and let it sit for a few minutes. I don't see coolant dripping from anywhere, or underneath the car. How do I check the coolant level as it stands now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

look in the coolant reservoir genius
Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The peice is a Breather for your tranny ...I think.

There's a couple of things you have to check.

1st. Start the car and wait till the needle hits the middle or check if the fan is coming on. If the fan is coming on then move on if not remove fan switch clip and jump it so you cna test if the fan is working if the fan comes on when jumped and not when the car is running your fan switch may be bad.

When it sprayed everywhere where was the steam coming from?
Have you change Head gasket recently???
If your system has too much pressure the clamps will not seal and that may be from your motor blowing air into your cooliant system.

I had a problem like that and it kept blowing out my heater core inside the car

You have to check if the Radiator cap is tight and if it is providing pressure check all the Cooliant lines/Hoses and see if you have any cooliant leaking in the inside of the car.

Take a can of brake cleaner or water and flush out all the spilled cooliant in your engine bay, Fill up your the radiator and reservior and go for a drive and if the resevior is emptier then it was when you filled it you gotta do a compression test because you might be burning cooliant. Also check and look where the block and head meet for leaks as well as the radiator for cracks.

Hopefully this information is helpful for you.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Re: (VTEC_PRODUCTION)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC_PRODUCTION &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

look in the coolant reservoir genius </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I was a genius, I wouldn't be asking questions about a simple overheating. And I wouldn't need help from people who know about these type of cars. kthx
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (VTEC_PRODUCTION)

ok before warming up your car take the radiator cap off, and fill it to the top. then make sure ur reservoir is filled in the middle of max and min.

also check all the tubes for leaks.

check the clips used to tighten the hoses as well. those always go bad!!!!!!!!! I changed every dam one on my car.

i bet what happen is ur radiator built so much pressure it found a way out. so check again. there is something wrong and it will happen again.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Default Re: (ProjectEGSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectEGSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The peice is a Breather for your tranny ...I think.

There's a couple of things you have to check.

When it sprayed everywhere where was the steam coming from?
Have you change Head gasket recently???
I</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very Helpful info Thanks. The steam was coming from the lower radiator area or below it seemed. Just topped off the radiator to the top and filled the reservoir in between the max and min lines. Now the car is warming up. Thanks for replys.

Modified by forumnoobie at 2:58 PM 1/4/2008
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea make sure the clip r tight as ***! and some times the newer ones like at autozone need to be retightened. i did that once, and all my antifreeze started leaking. i like to always to double check everything. like the saying goes. i rather be safe then sorry.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Overheated on the Interstate (part identification needed) Thanks (forumnoobie)

Just took it to the shop to get the radiator pressure tested. They won't get to it until tomorrow unfortunately. I topped off the radiator and filled up the reservoir to the min line. When the car heated up, there was so much antifreeze leaking out from so many different places.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea see where the leaks are coming from...can't be that bad either way it could be upper and lower hoses, radiator, water pump, or the heater core hose....
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheated on the Interstate (forumnoobie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by forumnoobie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just took it to the shop to get the radiator pressure tested. They won't get to it until tomorrow unfortunately. I topped off the radiator and filled up the reservoir to the min line. When the car heated up, there was so much antifreeze leaking out from so many different places.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG.... What Places????
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Overheated on the Interstate (ProjectEGSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectEGSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OMG.... What Places????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got it back from the shop today. Replaced the radiator and thermostat. The radiator was leaking from all around the bottom.