Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear

anybody else feels this? I just replaced a timing belt for a friend, and the OEM honda belts look and feel cheap. The goodyear is thicker and feels way stronger. OEM
Old 08-13-2004, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear (mingbling)

Never had a problem w/ OEM. Changed my first one at 89K, and my current one is at 173K right now, about to put my 3rd one on maybe next week, along w/ new water pump and timing belt tensioner pulley.

How do you KNOW the Goodyear belt is of better quality? Why risk it?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear (mingbling)

are you comparing a brand new goodyear belt to used oem belt that you just removed from the car? cause the old one would be looking pretty shitty after so many miles.
i put a goodyear belt in my car at 117k (i don't think previous owners changed anything). yea it looked good i guess, smelled nice too (mmmm rubber) but i dunno if it's possible to "feel" the actual difference. after all, the oem belt lasted 117k on my car.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never had a problem w/ OEM. Changed my first one at 89K, and my current one is at 173K right now, about to put my 3rd one on maybe next week, along w/ new water pump and timing belt tensioner pulley.

How do you KNOW the Goodyear belt is of better quality? Why risk it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true, listen to Patrick he know what he's talking about when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear (JoizeeAutoXer)

no.. im not.. i just did a timing belt for a crv before this integra. The crv, i put a goodyear gatorback belt on. Im not saying the OEM wont last, but I'm pretty sure that the Goodyear one will last even longer. Just compare them if you guys have a chance, there is no comparison between the quality. Even the metal threads or nylon treads in the middle of the timing belt seems thicker on the gatorback belt.
PatrickGSR94, this time, try a goodyear gatorback. It's not like you're taking a risk ,but it is better quality.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Too late, I've had all OEM parts sitting at home for a couple months now, waiting to be installed.

OEM belt is supposed to be changed every 90K. Maybe the Goodyear is stronger, maybe it isn't. If it is, though, and if it really could last longer, how do you know exactly how long it will last? You don't, and every second past the OEM's 90K mile interval is borrowed time. So then to be safe you change it at 90K anyway, at which point you say, so what was the point of not using the OEM belt?

Now if the Goodyear belt is cheaper than the OEM belt, I can see why someone might want to go that route, but then I would definitely question the quality of the belt.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:35 PM
kNOwLedGeDA9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mingbling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody else feels this? I just replaced a timing belt for a friend, and the OEM honda belts look and feel cheap. The goodyear is thicker and feels way stronger. OEM </TD></TR></TABLE>
OK...so you're going to trust a shady AMERICAN multi-billion dollar company that knows jack **** about Honda, and put their belt on your car, rather than the company who made the car, and has done relentless R&D on it??? Thats like saying, "I'm not going to use these Honda recommended Bridgestones on my car...let me put on some FIRESTONES." Which timing belts do Spoon and Mugen use on the circuits??? OEM owns your *********.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Re: OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear (kNOwLedGeDA9)

which belts do most nascar drivers trust? Goodyear

http://www.goodyear.com/media/....html

you're probably right about the OEM belts are good enough, lasts long enough, but for the same price, i'd rather get a better quality belt even though the OEM one is good enough.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:54 PM
kNOwLedGeDA9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mingbling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which belts do most nascar drivers trust? Goodyear

http://www.goodyear.com/media/....html

you're probably right about the OEM belts are good enough, lasts long enough, but for the same price, i'd rather get a better quality belt even though the OEM one is good enough. </TD></TR></TABLE>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Which belts do most fat, balding, left-turn making NASCAR drivers trust? Who gives a **** about NASCAR? They use whichever parts their multi-million dollar sponsors make them use. NASCAR is a rolling advertisement, and the parts they use have little to do with quality. All of Nascar uses the same gas, but it doesn't mean that it is the best quality. That coprporation that sheels out the most dinero gets their parts used. For a Honda, OEM Honda &gt; Goodyear.

EDIT: You're from Texas...no wonder you trust in your NASCAR. That **** is huge in wack *** MIDDLE AMERICA.
P.S. I don't know if you like him, but Bush is a pointy eared, dislexic, lying, shady, UN-AMERICAN little bitch.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Re: OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear (kNOwLedGeDA9)

actually, dont think goodyear pays drivers to use their belts
Old 08-13-2004, 12:58 PM
kNOwLedGeDA9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mingbling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually, dont think goodyear pays drivers to use their belts</TD></TR></TABLE>
I didn't say they paid the drivers, they pay the owners of NASCAR.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mingbling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the OEM honda belts look and feel cheap. The goodyear is thicker and feels way stronger. OEM </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, you are on HONDA-tech. is it a surprise that most people responding to your post are for oem HONDA parts? nascar? since when does honda oem have anything to do with nascar? dunce
Old 08-13-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear (greaseball)

i've always hated buying things from honda, mainly because dealerships just think they can inflate their prices 200%. I see people going to parts department all the time paying outrageous prices for things, and I always want to say, dont buy from a dealership. Maybe thats what got me from buying things from honda.
I guess buyin from hondaautomotiveparts.com would be okae, but why do i have to order online for every lil thing for my honda.thats where I start experimenting with aftermarket parts from autozone..etc honda dealerships

Even with a 20% discount I get at a local lute riley honda, it is nothing compared to hondaautomotiveparts.com
Old 08-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the majority of the racers in japan use OEM honda timing belts, even on 400 hp turbo engines.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: (yung98gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kNOwLedGeDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I didn't say they paid the drivers, they pay the owners of NASCAR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They use the same gas, tires, and templates for thier cars. Just to make sure everything is even. Aside from that the only other things they have are restrictions. MOST of them use goodyear because they are the best and the most trusted name in hoses and belts. And as for your comment about who cares about NASCAR. There must be a reason that it is the 2nd most popular sport in the USA. You should know what you are talking about before you chime in buddy.
The question was whether they are better quality construction. The answer is yes they will take more abuse then a stock one. I'm not saying a stock one isn't good enough but they aren't as good.
And what does Bush have to do with anything? Because he owns a ranch in Texas. Gees get over it. Stop complaining and vote for someone else. Or sit there and be miserable and cry about it while the rest of us Americans don't worry about which 2 faced politician is less crooked then the other and go about our lives.

EDIT- Just needed to point out the old bald left turning rednecks of nascar. Funny how you are all gung ho about the 619 and funny how the current points leader is from that area code also. Jimmie Johnson #1
Old 08-13-2004, 06:08 PM

Why is it that most people that want to build a Honda look for the cheapest way to do it? I mean come on guys you get what you pay for. If you want to use the Goodyear belt then go right ahead. I guess if it is good enough for the left turning rednecks then it will be just fine for these japanese motors. I mean hondas have been know for their reliability in stock form and such with stock parts so that is what i will stick with. I am willing to pay the extra money for the Honda quality. I know that they have done their r&d and know their motors better than goodyear. Also why do you really want to go over 90k on the timing belt? What about the other parts that should be replaced? But oh well to me the goodyear belt will sit right next to the APC intake.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Hayasa15)

Step away from the group think for a second guys. You all act like he just insulted your mother by saying he didn't like how the OEM belt was constructed. To the author of the thread, do you have a side-by-side picture of both brand new belts? Granted it's stupid to go over the recommended 90k interval of changing a belt, why not go for a stronger belt to hold up to the abuse for that 90k? As for the comment about NASCAR, I think it's pretty damn boring myself, but they do abuse their cars, so you know that Goodyear can handle it. I'm not saying OEM isn't competent, I have one myself, but who's to say that the Goodyear one isn't better, especially for those that have more of a chance to stretch an OEM belt?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<FONT COLOR="royalblue"> Never Had a problem w/ any OEM Honda Belt. Also I would think that any company that makes an Aftermarket product( oe replacement ) would have to make it atleast better than OEM, so the consumer can catch interest. I &lt;3 OEM Parts. </FONT>
Old 08-13-2004, 07:53 PM
99-0104

Default Re: (CA6VTEC)

oe is the way to go but if you want to save a few bucks then buy a gates belt sence honda has them make theirs .... but how much are you going to save ? 5 bucks? just go to the dealer and get it there ... your going to buy the water pump and seals there anyway ...

i have nothing bad to say about goodyear belts but why not just buy the oem spec belt ?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:40 PM

Default Re: (Stripped Honda)

at my local dealer, they want $70 for a timing belt. With my 20% off, it'll put the price of the timing belt righat around a goodyear at a local autozone. Same price, I'd go with the good year. Its cheaper on hondaautomotiveparts.com, but then you gotta order online.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (mingbling)

let me edit my post.. I said OEM looked cheap, but only looked cheap compared to goodyear. It's not cheap, and definately better than a no name timing belt. Im the kind of person that avoid the dealership at all cost, and when I can buy a stock aftermarket replacement part without compromising reliability, I get a lil exited. sorry if you guys take it differently
I'm also sporting a ASC water pump (autozone brand) and it works great and its a lot cheaper than oem. This on the other hand, OEM looks like better quality, but Im guessing it'll last just as long.. i hope.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:54 PM

pushrods no equal timingbelt
Old 08-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at least u know u can trust the oem belt, as for aftermarket, u dont know if u can trust them or not, and its not worth takeing a risk. I mean c'mon, its not like it makes a difference using the goodyear one, just use an oem one, 90k is a long time anyways.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Re: (virusiidx)

The only way you should ever use anything other then OEM is if you have a built head with really strong valve springs and high lifting cams, this is about 10 times harder to turn then stock which Honda did not design the OEM belt for. The OEM belt may allow the intake cam to slip a tooth after being tensioned, this would not only cause you to lose power but could cause damage to the motor if you have your cam gears ajusted crazy. If this is you I would only use the Greddy timing belt. It is the choice of real JDM racers. NO NASCAR **** here...................
Old 08-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (adrenaline-racing)

Nascar =s running time same timing chain for 500 miles.....I personally have a Napa timing belt and it seems to be holding up ok after 15k(no cracks or signs of wear), but that doesnt mean that it would hold up to stage III cams.

Quick Reply: OEM honda timing belts look cheap.. compared to goodyear