Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

OEM Fuel Pump or Walbro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Fuel Pump or Walbro

Every now and then when I'll be driving my car will sort of bog and it feels like the car isn't getting any fuel. Previous to this I have done a full tune-up, timing belt,water pump (this had to be done anyway), and even tried using fuel cleaner (I think it helped for a bit). My GF's Jetta had the same issue and it turned out to be the fuel pump. So I was thinking of getting a new pump. However before doing all this, would it be smart to just change out the Fuel Pump Stock before spending money on the whole assembly?

The car has no CEL, and it's a 01 GSR.

So now the question remains if I do decide to buy the whole set by going OEM or Walbro. I won't need any type of fuel regulator on a Walbro right (after some research some people said to do this? Doesn't sound right if I'm not getting a performance fuel pump).
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: OEM Fuel Pump or Walbro

doubt your issue is the fuel pump, there are very few instances where it has failed.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Psycho719
Every now and then when I'll be driving my car will sort of bog and it feels like the car isn't getting any fuel. Previous to this I have done a full tune-up, timing belt,water pump (this had to be done anyway), and even tried using fuel cleaner (I think it helped for a bit). My GF's Jetta had the same issue and it turned out to be the fuel pump. So I was thinking of getting a new pump. However before doing all this, would it be smart to just change out the Fuel Pump Stock before spending money on the whole assembly?

The car has no CEL, and it's a 01 GSR.

So now the question remains if I do decide to buy the whole set by going OEM or Walbro. I won't need any type of fuel regulator on a Walbro right (after some research some people said to do this? Doesn't sound right if I'm not getting a performance fuel pump).
I would assume (so I could very well be wrong here) that low fuel pressure would throw a CEL.

I'd also assume that the filter is more likely to be clogged than the pump fail.

If your girl's Jetta lost the pump, the filter should be changed before it kills the new pump too. I had to do that once for my wife's A4, when the clogged filter killed the pump...
Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
I would assume (so I could very well be wrong here) that low fuel pressure would throw a CEL.

I'd also assume that the filter is more likely to be clogged than the pump fail.

If your girl's Jetta lost the pump, the filter should be changed before it kills the new pump too. I had to do that once for my wife's A4, when the clogged filter killed the pump...
I've had the car scanned and nothing showed up. And as well had my fuel filter changed before. Same for my girls cars, but we were having the same issues. I don't know what else to test. I've also cleaned out my throttle body and IACV(not because of the fuel issue though)
Old 10-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends on your setup. Stock fuel pumps can handle at least 200WHP and from experience if a fuel pump is bad, it would just die on you.

You do not need an aftermarket fuel regulator to run a Walbro 255lph. I had one with a stock rail and regulator.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
Depends on your setup. Stock fuel pumps can handle at least 200WHP and from experience if a fuel pump is bad, it would just die on you.

You do not need an aftermarket fuel regulator to run a Walbro 255lph. I had one with a stock rail and regulator.
Speaking of the stock regulator, if the return line is clogged the car could have excessive pressure, and running overly rich can also cause hesitation.

OP, pull and read the plugs. If it's running lean or rich, they'll tell you.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks I'll give that a try. Sucks not knowing exactly what is wrong and even worse when it happens at random times.