Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

obd0-obd1; cut obd0 harness, No plugs..what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd0-obd1; cut obd0 harness, No plugs..what to do?

Bare with me here.....
Im building a boosted b16 and I got a p28 ecu (obd1), obd1 dissy (all I need now is an 4 or 5 wire o2 sensor) Right?

Well I just looked at my obd0 harness that came with the jdm pw0 ecu. Its cut and has no plugs on it.

I have a 91LS that is obd0 but thats not vtec of course so what are my options

Wire in a few wires on the clean obd0 harness on my LS?
Buy just the obd0 plugs for the vtec harness?
Buy some new wire and alot of sodder(sp?)

EDIT
I did search; havent found anything; searched under "cut harness"

Im just freaking out; I dont even know if you guys can understand what Im asking....And if you know off hand (i havent searched yet, im not going to lie) a good diagram i can use to wire this bitch up...
Thanks guys

Modified by jdmjerk at 7:05 AM 2/17/2004
Old 02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd0-obd1; cut obd0 harness, No plugs..what to do? (jdmjerk)

I'm not sure what you're asking, but here is a general overview of what is typical in an obd0 to obd1 conversion

-use obd0 to obd1 jumper harness to allow you to plug your obd1 ecu into the car's obd0 main harness (blownhatch and boomslang sell these harnesses)
-use an obd0 engine harness
-remove the obd0 distributor plugs from the obd0 distributor
-remove the obd1 distributor plugs from the obd1 dist
-re-pin the obd1 distributor with the obd0 plugs (now you have an obd1 dist that plugs into an obd0 engine harness)
-install a 4 wire o2 sensor
-run wires for o2 sensor, knock sensor, vtec solenoid, vtec pressure switch, and iab (obviously all may not apply to your situation)
Old 02-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd0-obd1; cut obd0 harness, No plugs..what to do? (91IntegGS)

damn i just traded soeone straight across for a obd1 dissy...i didnt know i needed the plugs....
sounds like i need to get just the plugs off of a obd0 vtec wiring harness and soder them?
Please more help
Thanks 91teg
Old 02-17-2004, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump it up
Old 02-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no reason to solder, just re-pin.... its much cleaner that way. If you happen to have an obd1 engine harness laying around you could also do the opposite of what I wrote. Which would be:
-remove the obd1 plugs from the obd1 engine harness
-remove the obd0 plugs from teh obd0 engine harness
-re-pin the obd0 engine harness with the obd1 plugs.

This way you'll have gray distributor plugs on your engine harness, and the obd1 dist will plug into your obd0 engine harness. This way works equally as well, its just usually people don't have an obd1 engine harness to pull the plugs from, but they do have their left over obd0 distributor.

You could also find other ways to connect the wires, but it just wouldn't be as clean of an install.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what it sounds like, your saying that where your stock ECU would plug in on your teg that someone cut the plugs off, right? And further more, you want to convert to OBD-1 and have a conversion harness and ECU, right?

If this is the case then ta hell with all the stuff you got up top here. Take the conversion harness and cut the OBD-0 female plugs off, then hard wire the OBD-1 plugs to your existing harness. Its kind of a pain in the ***, but it can be done. I would do it for you if you were local, but your not. If all you want to do is convert the ECU to OBD-1, then why are you messing with the distributor and the O2? No need to change either out. Just change out the ECU and your done. If you try to convert the whole car to OBD-1, your in for one hell of a ride, and you need a lot more then what you have on hand now.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd0-obd1; cut obd0 harness, No plugs..what to do? (Hybrid93Eg)

Im kinda lost now.
Hybrid-What your saying is you can convert to obd1 by just having that obd0-obd1 harness and an ecu. Thats it? I dont need a dissy or o2 sensor?

I can sodder this stuff up my self but I have no idea what to sodder what too. Any one have any diagrams or anything that can help me out?

Here is a little recap of my situation Ill try to explain it better
-I have a 91 ls (obd0) wiring harness its just fine I drive the car currently everyday
-I have a SiR b16 (obd0) that im building for boost. The harness that came with this motor is cut from somewhere in the engine bay (Im assuming that I can re-wire it to the plugs and from the plugs to the obd0-obd1 conversion harness and then to the p28. (this way I dont have to rewire vtec or anything else if i were to use the LS harness) If I do that I dont need a different dissy or o2 sensor because thats the point of the conversion harness?
I just hope you guys are right....(I hate hear say!) Thanks in advanced.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I'm understanding Hybrid correctly.... he is wrong. To do the conversion you need the ecu and distributor. Its possible not to use the 4 wire o2 sensor... but not a great idea.

please, when you say "harness" specify which harness. "Engine" harness, "Main" harness (this is the one under the dash that connects to the ecu), "conversion" harness.... etc...

This is what you should do:
-do NOT use the obd0 b16a engine harness (just use the needed plugs for knock sensor and vtec solenoid)
-use an obd0 to obd1 conversion harness (plugs the obd1 ecu to your obd0 main harness)
-find a way to connect your obd1 dist to your obd0 engine harness (I already explained this)
-run the needed wires to the conversion harness (vtec solenoid, vtec pressure switch, knock sensor, 4 wire o2 sensor)

wala, you're done.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so use the LS harness i currently have in the car and then i only hvae to rewire just a few wires into that harness (its not like 15 wires just like 4 or 5?)
I would still apprecaite some diagrams if there are any so i know what to wire what too
thanks again
Old 02-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

again, PLEASE do not just use the word "harness" it can get very confusing. I assume you're talking about your ENGINE harness. I do not believe there are any diagrams out there, but its VERY straight forward:

-connect your obd1 dist to your obd0 engine harness (like I described above). All the wires are the same color. With the exception of one. With some common sense, a note pad and a pencil you can easily ensure you hook up the wires correctly.

-run a wire from the vtec solenoid to your ecu
-run a wire from the vtec pressure switch to your ecu
-run a wire from the vtec pressure switch to a ground (or the ecu)
-run a wire from the knock sensor to your ecu
-run 4 wires from the new 4 wire heated o2 sensor to your ecu
So, thats a total of 8 wires.
This is exactly the same as if you're swapping a vtec engine into a stock car (with the exception of the o2 sensor wires) and if you use an obd0 to obd1 conversion harness you will just hook the above wires to this harness instead of having to pin the wires into your ecu as you would with a normal swap. you can find where to run the above wires MANY places. The instructions for your conversion harness should show you, and if not there are TONS of sites online giving you the pinouts.

Basically what you need to do now is go out and buy that conversion harness. That is your next step. Once you have it in hand, can look at it, and have read the instructions thoroughly all the questions you've asked here should be answered.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91IntegGS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">again, PLEASE do not just use the word "harness" it can get very confusing. I assume you're talking about your ENGINE harness. I do not believe there are any diagrams out there, but its VERY straight forward:

-connect your obd1 dist to your obd0 engine harness (like I described above). All the wires are the same color. With the exception of one. With some common sense, a note pad and a pencil you can easily ensure you hook up the wires correctly.

-run a wire from the vtec solenoid to your ecu
-run a wire from the vtec pressure switch to your ecu
-run a wire from the knock sensor to your ecu
-run 4 wires from the new 4 wire heated o2 sensor to your ecu
So, thats a total of 8 wires.
This is exactly the same as if you're swapping a vtec engine into a stock car (with the exception of the o2 sensor wires) and if you use an obd0 to obd1 conversion harness you will just hook the above wires to this harness instead of having to pin the wires into your ecu as you would with a normal swap. you can find where to run the above wires MANY places. The instructions for your conversion harness should show you, and if not there are TONS of sites online giving you the pinouts.

Basically what you need to do now is go out and buy that conversion harness. That is your next step. Once you have it in hand, can look at it, and have read the instructions thoroughly all the questions you've asked here should be answered.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wouldn't say I am wrong.. I have done the conversion before. What he listed was just very, very confusing. With the clearup, I agree with what you are saying, only I don't see why he is swapping distributors. I would stick with the LS harness (as mentioned) and just add the needed wires. Much easier that way then trying to doctor up the B16 harness. I have doctored up one JDM harness before and its a bit of a pain in the ***. Add the wires and keep the LS harness. You don't "need" to convert the O2 to a 4 wire, but it would be a bit easier. You can disable the heater circuit in your current ECU and solve the problem of needing a 4 wire.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd0-obd1; cut obd0 harness, No plugs..what to do? (Hybrid93Eg)

maybe we aren't understanding eachother....

First off, I think you missed the point completely about his harness being cut, he apparently was talking about his b16a engine harness... he needs to specify which "harness" when he mentions one.

To convert to obd1 he NEEDS an obd1 ecu AND an obd1 distributor. Neither the stock obd0 dist off his stock motor or the obd0 dist off of his new b16a will work if he is running an obd1 ecu. I'm sure you'll agree with me there.

And yeah, he can keep the other o2 sensor, but depending on his situation and what sensor setup he decides to run (not sure how it works w/ turbo manifolds) it might be in his best interest to use a 4 wire.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the "Harness" that im talking about on my b16. The yellow circles are where they have been cut. I know the resitor box isnt a big deal but again its cut so i circled it

the harnesses in my car now is a STOCK LS HARNESS OR HARNESSES it works fine Should i use that one and rewire these 8 wires?
I have the obd0-obd1 harness
I have a p28 ecu
And the obd1 dissy is in the mail
So all i need is an o2 sensor
Where and what do I search for to find a pin out of the correct wiring setup that I need.
(hope that pic helps)
Old 02-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

re-read everything i posted...... YOU DO NOT NEED THE HARNESS THAT CAME WITH THE B16A!!!!!!! Only use the vtec and knock sensor plugs off of it in order toe get a cleaner and more stock looking install.

The pinouts are everywhere... do a SEARCH. Since you're on g2ic you should be familiar w/ searching (hint hint... g2ic's engine swap guide has a pinout sheet....)

I really don't mean to be an ***... but you really need to start searching. Originally I thought you had, but now it really looks like you haven't done your homework before making this post. And like I said... SAY WHICH HARNESS YOU'RE USING!. Just putting it in parenthesis doesn't help (although the pic does help). The harness pictured is an ENGINE harness!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt know there was more then one harness on a car, I thought a harness was a harness and thats that. When I ordered my motor they didnt tell me I was getting an engine harness; they said i was getting a harness; PERIOD.

I searched and I didnt find anything nor did I know it was called a PIN OUT. I searched for wiring diagrams; not pin outs. I dont just sit here and post because Im lazy; I post cause maybe I dont know the right term to search for or I dont understand something. Thats the biggest problem with these msg boards; some of us know what things are called and others dont. I dont ever post anything and say "just search" thats a waste of bandwidth. I atleast try to point someone in the right direction and remind them to search.

I didnt know the swap guide had a pin out sheet on it. Maybe next time you could have told me they were there. Its called a swap guide not a wiring guide or how to wire up a vtec motor to a non vtec ENGINE harness. Thats why I asked.

Im almost sorry to say thanks for you help; but since you did and said you dont mean to be an ***, I will thank you for the tip to search for pin outs. I hope you see things from my point of view.
Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they just said "harness" because its obvious which harness. They aren't going to include a car's main harness with an engine swap. The engine harness is the harness that stays on the engine when you pull it out. This harness then plugs into the main harness which runs throughout the engine bay thru the firewall and under the dash (its a LOT of wiring). After I told you to specify which harness... you continued not to. I figured that if you didn't know which was which you would maybe ask me? considering I had pointed out to you that there are different harnesses.....

The swap guide is just that.. a swap guide. Why wouldn't it include wiring? wiring is part of a swap, and actually often the most confusing. Common sense tells me that a good comprehensive "swap guide" would include all relevant info in regards to doing swaps, which would include wiring.

I'm going to stand by what I said. All this info could have been found by doing your research. Common sense would have told me to read the swap guide before doing anything, just to familiarize myself with the basics of what I would be doing. Second I'd search about the obd1 conversion. There is a good deal of this info on gi2c. I have noticed its harder to find here on h-t, but I figured you were a regular over at g2ic and would have found it already. I've illustrated the basics of this conversion there multiple times, and now I've done it twice in your thread.

I think your main problem here is you were getting ahead of yourself, you got confused because you had too many parts and didn't know what to do with them, and now you're trying to sort it all out piece by piece. What you needed to do was ignore all the parts you have, go research everything, find out what you need, then compare to what you have. Then get of the irrelevant stuff and go buy the stuff that you still need. I think mainly you were just going to quickly thru the motions. Maybe its just me but I like to learn about everything, not just tiny bits and pieces right when I need them. I had been learning everything about vtec swaps into g2's for over a year before I did my swap... hell, I had been learning about them before I even knew I was going to do one. I guess my assumption that everyone else is as hungry for this knowledge as I am is wrong
Old 02-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We can go back and forth on this. Im not going to waste my time anymore. I really honestly did aprecaited you help. You straighted me out on things that I couldnt find when I searched; gave me some tips what to search for and I found my answers.

I dont use g2ic.com much; Im not a big fan of the board. Ive found more answers on h-t and much more helpful users.

I did search and found some good threads on g2ic.com; I guess I shouldnt doubt my home

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to butt in but....

I never did this, but i need to(i have a cel, but everything seems to be working properly). Where is the best place to ground it? or does it just need to be ground to the chassis somewhere?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd0-obd1; cut obd0 harness, No plugs..what to do? (stevieteg)

Probably the easiest gound location is the thermostat housing. There is already a grouping of grounded wires there. So, just take the ground wire from the pressure switch, add a ring terminal crimp, remove the bolt on the thermostat housing and add your ground to the existing ones. This is where mine is grounded... works great.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd0-obd1; cut obd0 harness, No plugs..what to do? (stevieteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevieteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to butt in but....

I never did this, but i need to(i have a cel, but everything seems to be working properly). Where is the best place to ground it? or does it just need to be ground to the chassis somewhere?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why don't you hook it up properly instead of ghetto rigging it?