Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Non starting issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non starting issue.

So, I’ve got a 93 Teg LS, it’s got about 196k on it.

It sometimes wont start again after being driven for a while. I’ve replaced the plugs, apparently the dizzy and plug wires were just replaced before I got the car two months ago. I’ve had to adjust the throttle cable, reset the idle, cleaned the IACV, and the FITV, the fuel filter is new, it’s got good fuel pressure according to specs listed here.
For a while I had a random idle misfire and some bad gas mileage, and it would stutter and bog if I floored it at high load/low rpm. Now I did some reading and it seemed like the ECT could be going bad. I’ve replaced that and reset the ecu, and now the idle is far far better, no random misfire, no low idle after warmup and no sputter when flooring it. I tried a couple times of starting it and restarting it while warm, it worked fine

now, last night after I went for a drive and went to the store, was in the store long enough to buy a pack of smokes and came back and the car wouldn’t start. It would just crank endlessly. I let it sit long enough for my buddy to drive up the road and he whacked on the starter a bit and it started up.

Basically, could it actually be just the starter or should I be looking at other things?

(also I’ll add, before replacing the ECT when this would happen it would crank super sluggishly and sometimes I’d smell gas when it would fire up. After replacing the ECT it cranks quickly and I don’t smell gas)
Old 04-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Non starting issue.

It cranks so it’s not the starter. You need to see if no fuel or spark when it won’t start. I’d guess main relay, maybe coil, igniter.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GIZZ - EXV
It cranks so it’s not the starter. You need to see if no fuel or spark when it won’t start. I’d guess main relay, maybe coil, igniter.
now, I can’t ever hear the fuel pump prime, even when it does start. But I do have good fuel pressure. I also noticed when the car won’t start the CEL does not turn off and I don’t hear the final click from the main relay. Possibly the main relay?

Next time it doesn’t start I’ll check spark.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also another update I drove around a bit before work, idled a bit, shut off the car and restarted it, it started and idled super low and then died. Then I restarted it and it idled fine and didn’t die. This car is odd.