Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

New to the Integra Game

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New to the Integra Game

Originally Posted by Benny Honda
I have a DC header, stock cat, then straight pipe to a Magnaflow muffler. Would be good for racing, but I need a little more back pressure for daily driving. I plan on replacing the cat with a better flowing one and adding a resonator. Even with a stock cat, my current set up is pretty loud.
1.) back pressure is a bad thing, not good (regardless if daily or racer)
2.) what you plan on doing would actually lower the back pressure (high flow cat = less back pressure, resonator = irrelevant to back pressure)
3.) yes please install a resonator, your neighbors, anyone driving next to you and the general public will thank you.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Javane
Lol so I go to the muffler shop down the street, he charges $250 to weld everything together that was mentioned above. Then said $500 for him to custom make an exhaust for me, exactly how I want it.

Then my mechanic was like just go full bolt on exhaust system...

Anyways I still like the idea of a custom exhaust system.

What do you guys think on the pricing? For just the welding and the custom work? 250 vs 500.
I still say go with the pipe kit, cut and welded by muffler shop, with magnaflow muffler and resonator. It is a tried and true recipe with great results.
Bolt ons, unless talking very high end (greddy evo and apexi WS2), generally have fitment issues and develop rattles and can be obnoxious. Yokana can be decent for the price but the mufflers usually fail after a year or two, rattle/rust and then you would have been better off going magnaflow.
That $500 for custom made sounds like a bad idea. More than likely crush bends and not as precise as the kit and no mention of the muffler/resonator brands.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
I still say go with the pipe kit, cut and welded by muffler shop, with magnaflow muffler and resonator. It is a tried and true recipe with great results.
Bolt ons, unless talking very high end (greddy evo and apexi WS2), generally have fitment issues and develop rattles and can be obnoxious. Yokana can be decent for the price but the mufflers usually fail after a year or two, rattle/rust and then you would have been better off going magnaflow.
That $500 for custom made sounds like a bad idea. More than likely crush bends and not as precise as the kit and no mention of the muffler/resonator brands.
Yeah I still like that pipe kit better than the custom thing.
That's exactly what I didn't want, a rattling bolt on exhaust.
I'm gonna shop around for more quotes on the welding though.

When I do get a header, will need a flex pipe? Or it's just another welding job? 🤔
Old 03-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I only installed the flex pipe due to concerns of the Bisi header, which have been know to crack and I wanted to keep the stress it sees low. The hangers and spring clamps between the cat and header should allow some movement. I think (depending on the header and cat that you go with) the condition of your motor mounts, will determine if you actually need a flex pipe or not. It isn't always mandatory.

If you are staying with the factory catalytic converter and just bolting a header to it, I wouldn't worry about a flex pipe, as long as your motor mounts are good.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I only installed the flex pipe due to concerns of the Bisi header, which have been know to crack and I wanted to keep the stress it sees low. The hangers and spring clamps between the cat and header should allow some movement. I think (depending on the header and cat that you go with) the condition of your motor mounts, will determine if you actually need a flex pipe or not. It isn't always mandatory.

If you are staying with the factory catalytic converter and just bolting a header to it, I wouldn't worry about a flex pipe, as long as your motor mounts are good.
okay that's good to know.

I'm getting the Magnaflow High flow cat
Old 03-16-2017, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The factory cat and header have an inner diameter of around 1.75. Are you going with a universal 2.25" cat or some type of bolt on cat? Even the DC sports header I have on my LS integra has an outlet with an outer diameter of 2.0" and inner of around 1.9". You might want to look into headers at this point.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The factory cat and header have an inner diameter of around 1.75. Are you going with a universal 2.25" cat or some type of bolt on cat? Even the DC sports header I have on my LS integra has an outlet with an outer diameter of 2.0" and inner of around 1.9". You might want to look into headers at this point.
The cat I had in mind was the Magnaflow High flow cat, it should be 2.25 right?
if that's the case do I still need to look at headers?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I would want the header collector closer to 2 inches and then step up to 2.25 at the cat.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I would want the header collector closer to 2 inches and then step up to 2.25 at the cat.
Damn, so I might as well go searching for a header now?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that. How long did you use that setup for your suspension? I'll try to find those parts and read up on them
I had that setup the whole time I owned that car. Might have been a few years and it's the same setup that I will be doing with my 2000 LS.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Scorchin Civic
I had that setup the whole time I owned that car. Might have been a few years and it's the same setup that I will be doing with my 2000 LS.
Nice, that's something I'll look into.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Private Label MFG (PLM) Toda Style B Series Header Honda Acura B16 B18 | eBay

So I've been looking for a good header, and I found the one above? What's your thoughts on it or any 4-2-1 replicas (wanting 4-2-1 for clearance and mid range power instead of top-end.)

Also, would you recommend putting the header and cat on before the exhaust sytem? I only ask for the fact that those can easily be put on, and I might get those a couple weeks before I get the entire exhaust system.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Private Label MFG (PLM) Toda Style B Series Header Honda Acura B16 B18 eBay

So I've been looking for a good header, and I found the one above? What's your thoughts on it or any 4-2-1 replicas (wanting 4-2-1 for clearance and mid range power instead of top-end.)

Also, would you recommend putting the header and cat on before the exhaust sytem? I only ask for the fact that those can easily be put on, and I might get those a couple weeks before I get the entire exhaust system.
My understanding (more experienced members can correct me if I'm wrong) it's not going to hurt anything to put the headers on before the exhaust system, but you won't recognize the full gains of the headers until you open up the rest of the exhaust. While aftermarket headers may flow better, your choke point is still the exhaust. So in the long run you'll want to do both.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AYB18c
My understanding (more experienced members can correct me if I'm wrong) it's not going to hurt anything to put the headers on before the exhaust system, but you won't recognize the full gains of the headers until you open up the rest of the exhaust. While aftermarket headers may flow better, your choke point is still the exhaust. So in the long run you'll want to do both.
I figured that would be the case. I didn't expect to see much if any gain at all with just the header. I'm just trying to figure out which one to get.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That header has a 2.5" collector.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like this header more, it is a full length 4-2-1 and should offer a much better powerband. It emphasizes lowend and midrange and doesn't say 2.5" so I am thinking it will be a 2-2.25" collector, which would better fit your build. This header may or may not bolt on to your catback, it might be off by a few inches, so what I would do would be:

Order the 2.25 inch piping kit
Order the 2.25" magnaflow cat, resonator and end muffler
Remove your entire exhaust (header, cat and catback)
Install the header
Make an appointment with the muffler shop and explain to him your plans in great detail
Carefully and slowly drive to the shop open header (you dont want to be obnoxious and get a ticket), with all the parts in your trunk
Have them weld the cat to the header, the piping kit to the cat and then cut and install the mufflers in the correct locations
A turn down at the end would be a nice touch

Last edited by CandyRedRC46; 11-08-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like this header more, it is a full length 4-2-1 and should offer a much better powerband. It emphasizes lowend and midrange and doesn't say 2.5" so I am thinking it will be a 2-2.25" collector, which would better fit your build. This header may or may not bolt on to your catback, it might be off by a few inches, so what I would do would be:

Order the 2.25 inch piping kit
Order the 2.25" magnaflow cat, resonator and end muffler
Remove your entire exhaust (header, cat and catback)
Install the header
Make an appointment with the muffler shop and explain to him your plans in great detail
Carefully and slowly drive to the shop open header (you dont want to be obnoxious and get a ticket), with all the parts in your trunk
Have them weld the cat to the header, the piping kit to the cat and then cut and install the mufflers in the correct locations
I turn down at the end would be a nice touch
Yeah I realized that, figured welding a flang or something like that would be ok.

If you meant to show me another header, I can't see it (maybe you left the link out, or maybe I just can't see it on my phone.)

I like that plan.

Post the header you recommended, I can probably start ordering some of it this week.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I meant to post this header:

PLM HYTECH STYLE TRI-Y RACING HEADER B-SERIES HONDA ACURA EXHAUST B16 B18 B20 | eBay
Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I checked it out and I did see that it has a long tube design that would eliminate my cat, which I would need for emissions.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think that you could not just cut the flange off of the outlet of the header and weld the magnaflow cat to it? I think it would work, but you would have to try to know for sure.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you think that you could not just cut the flange off of the outlet of the header and weld the magnaflow cat to it? I think it would work, but you would have to try to know for sure.
I'm not sure at all. Plus I don't really really wanna try for myself because if it doesn't work then I'm pretty screwed since I won't be able to return it 😂

I was trying to calculate it all and it adds up to bolt on systems I thought were too pricey 😂
Old 03-21-2017, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean, you aren't bolting on that high flow cat, are you?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean, you aren't bolting on that high flow cat, are you?
Kinda got a point there.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've recently watched a video on road kill garage, where they compared 2.5 inch to 3 inch pipe on a v8. There was virtually no power gain. It's safe to assume, 2 or 2.25 inch pipe will give you about the same power (maybe a difference of 1hp at high rpm) but 2.5 would just be unnecessary, it would also weigh more! I have no experience with high end headers. Don't know if they make more power than a cheap set, but I'm sure the fitment is more exact. I know the OEM cast header on my 92 GS is 4-2-1, therfore, still provides almost if not equal power. The cast is just heavier, therfore quieter.

​​​​ Stainless steel, is really thin. Thin enough that it can sound like a gasket leaking compared to cast. Basically you're going to get what u pay for, however I bought a cheap cat back system, and OBX racing cat. The muffler split at the seam after about a year, so I replaced it with a Flowmaster. The piping itself though, was T304 stainless, so it's extremely durable! I've had it for about 7 years now! Nice thing is, the muffler being bolt on, I can swap between the Flowmaster and an OEM muffler in minutes if I so desire. I do personally love the sound of Pacesetter cat back systems! Had one on my gf's Nissan. I was actually jealous lol.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Flowmaster mufflers on a 4 cylinder is probably one of the worst sounds in the world.
oh man, it's rude. That's the best way to describe it!

Quick Reply: New to the Integra Game