Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Mystery Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Vibration

Ok I've been searching for answers on this issue for about a week now and can't find any ideas/answers that I don't already know / tried.

Here's my problem, a few weeks ago my 95 Teg LS started vibrating slightly under braking, so naturally my first instinct was brakes.

I changed pads and rotors (it needed it) but the vibration was still there and started to get worse. It would vibrate quite hard when braking normally, and it's clearly coming from the right front. I disabled the ABS system and was still getting the issue.

After that I thought maybe a wheel bearing (I was randomly getting a whine from the right front that went away with wheel movement) so I figured at 195k it's not going to hurt, and went ahead and swapped both front bearings out. While doing that I noticed the ball joints on the outer tie rods were shot on both sides so I changed both of those as well.

Now at this point I put it all back together drove it but started getting a horrible noise when turning right, so back on stands it went. At that point I realized my right front axle had taken a crap so I swapped it out.

So that brings me to today. No more bad noises when turning, car drives fine, but the vibration is still there... so I'm kinda lost now.

New wheel bearing, new outer tie rod (inners seemed fine, no play), new pad and rotor, new lower ball joint, and a new axle, but still have the shakes.

My only other thought is to rotate the tires and check engine mounts (even though there not abnormal vibrations when accelerating).

Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone else has some ideas b/c its annoying and this is my daily so I need the car.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mystery Vibration

I would try the tires. Obviously braking loads the front and can exagerate tire problem. Slight bent rim, bulged tire. Quick and easy from what you have already done.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd also try rotating the tires since that's cheap and easy, and check the caliper bracket. If all of that looks ok, maybe replace the caliper.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By the sound of it, you did everything I would have done or checked for. Drive 4 Fun might be right, since under braking, about 80% of the cars weight is transferred to the front wheels, depending on how hard your brake that is. If it's not a bent, bowed or off center tire/rim, then I have no idea what it could be... sorry.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as every one else has said you should try to rotate the tires, ive seen a bulged tire/slightly bent rim cause this same problem. if the problem moves to the rear then have the balance checked and if balance is good then it has to either be the rim or the tire.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the replies, I'm gonna rotate them tomorrow and see how it goes and I'll post what I find out. I didn't go to tires first because I just had them rotated not too long ago and all was good, and I don't recall hitting any potholes etc, but anythings possible.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah man anything is possible with cars. i know my brother had a slight bubble in one of his front tires and even after he had a fresh alignment it would veer to the right very hard so he got a fresh set of rubber and it drove straight and smooth again

let us know what happens so we can help from ther
Old 08-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to have one spun, balanced, to see the slight bulge that caused the problem. It was not obvious.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Drive 4 fun
I had to have one spun, balanced, to see the slight bulge that caused the problem. It was not obvious.

same thing with my brothers 97 civic
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I rotated my tires today and check all my mounts (which are all good) and I'm still getting the vibration... seems worse the more I drive?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you check control arm bushings?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure I did lol, I've had it tore apart so many times in the past week it's becoming a blur. I'll check again tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now that i think about it a little more, it could be a tweaked control arm. if you have a friend with a teg see if you can swap control arms real quick to see if it fixes it before you bump in some money