Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

My brakes? Are sreaching when I hit the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brakes? Are sreaching when I hit the brakes

It's very annoying it sqeaks when I hit the brakes and when just driving like maybe a rock is in my pad or something....any idea
Old 12-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My brakes? Are sreaching when I hit the brakes

Oh and it just sounds like the back right one
Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably need to change your brake pads. Brake pads have a metal tab that comes into contact with the rotor and squeals when the brake pad material wears down and is so thin that the pads need to be replaced.

Since it's just squealing in the rear, you probably just need to replace the pads in the rear.

On many Integras, you can see the edge of the brake pads by looking between the spokes of the wheel, and see how thick/thin they are. If you're not sure how to do this, you can ask a friend who knows a lot about cars to show you how.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
You probably need to change your brake pads. Brake pads have a metal tab that comes into contact with the rotor and squeals when the brake pad material wears down and is so thin that the pads need to be replaced.

Since it's just squealing in the rear, you probably just need to replace the pads in the rear.

On many Integras, you can see the edge of the brake pads by looking between the spokes of the wheel, and see how thick/thin they are. If you're not sure how to do this, you can ask a friend who knows a lot about cars to show you how.
Ok does it mean anything that it only sqeals at a certain point not the whole way around.....and is changing your brake pads hard/exspensive
Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlowellintegra
Ok does it mean anything that it only sqeals at a certain point not the whole way around.....
No.

Originally Posted by jlowellintegra
is changing your brake pads hard/exspensive
It's not particularly hard, although the rears are more difficult than the fronts due to the parking brake. A good mechanic can do it in 30-45 minutes, an amateur more like 60-90 minutes. If you've never done it before, and you have a friend who works on his own car, he could show you how to do it.

You'll need to buy a set of brake pads, of course. Stock rear brake pads for many Integras list for $53 and you can get them discounted for $40 at many dealers (including mail-order such as from Delray Acura). You can also get aftermarket brake pads from auto parts stores; beware, some of them are as good as or better than stock, but others are not. You'll also want to spend a few bucks for some anti-squeal compound to spread on the back of the brake pads. Tools you'll need include metric sockets and a ratcheting handle, a torque wrench for tightening the lug nuts (80 ft-lbs), a jack (you can use the one in your trunk if you want), and a c-clamp or big-*** pipe wrench for pushing the piston back into the caliper.

If you want to get an idea of the procedure, there's a VERY detailed writeup about changing rear brake pads on another car here. It's not exactly the same on the Integra but it's very similar.

If you take your car to a dealer or independent mechanic, they will typically charge you list for the parts plus an hour of labor ($100-130).

If you think you'd like to learn how to work on your own car, you might want to buy a service manual for it; you can buy a used one in the marketplace forums or on ebay, or a new one here.

HTH
Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brakes are not hard to change at all prob the easyest thing to do on a car beside change an air filter. And from wat you say it does sound like ur back brakes need to be changed and maybe the rotors are warped cuz you said to don't make a grinding noise all the way around...
Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but I thought brakes lasted forever? wtf