Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

My 1996 GSR ongoing build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1996 GSR ongoing build thread

I couldn't pass this deal up. $1500 for a clean title, 96 gsr in cypress green pearl.
went to look at it and it wasn't terrible!
disclaimer: I apologize for the size of the photos, if an admin could please make them more appropriate size, photobucket/work computer isn't cooperating
the wheels have to go!

got rid of the terrible wheels, and threw on some cheap coilovers to get it lowered a bit

next on the agenda was replacing the burn out cluster bulbs. went with amber replacements

next up was replacing the input shaft bearing in the trans so it wont sound like a can full of rocks going down the road. no picture of that though.
while It was apart I decided to begin a mild wire tuck starting on the driver side

came across someone selling a 98 ls and convinced them to trade me front and rear ends, which in my opinion look way better
and are even the same color!

decided to install a front lip to hide the damage to lower portion of the 98 front bumper. not sure how I feel about it

I then came across someone looking to trade some konig wheels (cant remember the exact model) for my steelies (his tires were completely bald, mine were at about 50%
don't worry, the blue is going away

decided I didn't like the way the front lip fit, so I went at it with a dremel and some sandpaper to make it more what I envisioned.

ths picture does it no justice but I dyed the tan carpet black since these tan interiors have nothing to break up the tan, no contrast.

I then buffed the headlights to get rid of some of the cloudiness in them. no pictures since I'm not satisfied with the outcome yet.
cleaned up random hardware around the engine bay as well as polished up my plm narrow rep header
did the itr caliper/mini rotor brake upgrade up front next
continued the wiretuck on the passengerside while retaining abs!
still some work to go cleaning up under the hood but its getting there, certainly better than when I got it.
got it buffed out this past weekend, oh man did it bring the cypress green alive!

this is where its at so far. not pictured yet is also a set of '96 spec itr cams that are in it, itr 3" intake tube, and other small things here and there.
well, let me know what you think! had the car for about 10 months and I'm into it right around $2,000 incuding all parts, and cost of the car.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: My 1996 GSR ongoing build thread

Getting work done! Keep it up.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

planning to do a b20vtec build once I have the spare funds. however next on the agenda is new tail light gaskets, reinstall all the interior that's out from when I dyed the carpet.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i'm leaning on doing the same. I'm nearing the end of cleaning up my teg. Afterwards i'm thinking i'll just put some designated teg money aside and maybe in a year or two build a ls/vtec high comp. with an ITR transmission. I figure that would be a pretty fun setup. Finding garage space is the biggest issue. I'll probably have to rent a garage for half a year or something. Keep the updates and pictures coming. I'm rather enjoying all the restoration threads popping up over the last year. Seems most of us are in the same boat. Cleaning up old messes to build up solid platforms.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I'm in the process of finding a new place so progress may slow considerably. unless I can either get a garage, or convince my mom to let me clean hers out and use it haha.
yeah b20v high comp is the long term plan, like to see 220ish at the wheels without going crazy with pistons, and headwork. yeah mine so far has been mostly maintenance and resto. a few upgrades here and there of course
I'm digging your thread too man, keep it up.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Shit Posts: 15

Great find on the car for the price.
It is looking well.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again it looks rough but it's smooth as anything to the touch. I didn't want to go crazy, just a quick cleanup of the ports that took maybe an hour and a half.

Originally Posted by JDMswagSerf
Great find on the car for the price.
It is looking well.
Really good find and good work so far man. It's cleaner than my DC2 daily already I think lol. I'm hardly nice to it as far as keeping it clean these days because I'm so busy and it gets so dirty driving it every single day plus racing it occasionally. I make sure to keep up on my internals though lol anything relating to how the car actually drives is top notch, just cosmeticly grimy haha. I spent the better part of my day today doing a new OEM head gasket, GE thermal intake gasket and new stainless intake/exhaust studs. Head got cleaned up and the ports smoothed and all casting marks removed. Same for my old school Skunk2 intake manifold- smoothed and cleaned all the ports and runners as far back as I could reach then cleaned it in the parts washer and bolted it back to the clean head. There is a couple pics showing the little quick smoothing job I did on each of the intake manifold runners and intake ports on the head. Exhaust side just got a clean up. And also a pic of my awaiting B18C short block. Yes that's my timing belt tied off to the side still on the crank pulley. I don't pull the motor mount and reset the timing belt when I pull the head because I'm lazy, so I just put it at TDC and keep tension on the belt, then slip it back on when I'm done. Saves a lot of time. Tomorrow Looks rough still but really it's totally smooth.

the head gets mated back with the block, new Pro 1's go in replacing Civic R cams, then it's over to get the tune cleaned up on the dyno. Its only been down not even quite a week but I'm already tired of daily driving my race car lol. It's a gutted EM1 with a cage, no HVAC or audio, 340whp/250tq all motor 88x99 K with no synchros. Great at the track, not so fun driving to work after a while haha. A
Old 08-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And here we see the 20 year old tail light gasket in all its glory

And the new redesigned Detroit muscle brand gasket
Oem is looking pretty ratty

and the comparison in thickness of the 2 The aftermarket brand gasket is 3 or 4 mm thicker and has much smaller holes. Wish me luck!

Old 08-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is exactly what the OEM gaskets look like. The holes are all that small so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and its for sale......