Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Might buy used pistons and rings.....good idea or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 09:53 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might buy used pistons and rings.....good idea or bad idea?

i was thinking a getting a set of used type r pistons and rings for my gsr and they have less than 8k miles on them but i heard i might have sealing problems and a brand new set of pistons and rings would conform and break into my cylinder walls better.....any of you guys have suggestions.......by the way i can get the itr pistons, rods, rings already assembled for about the same price as brand new pistons and rings
Old 08-21-2001, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Might buy used pistons and rings.....good idea or bad idea? (GTEater)

I would advise not to get used pistons just to be on the safe side, but if price is the factor you are using to make your decision, what is the price difference between the used ones you are going to get as opposed to how much you can get a new set for?
Old 08-21-2001, 11:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Might buy used pistons and rings.....good idea or bad idea? (KANJI)

i think the price for the new pistons and rings is between 300-400 bucks....i planned on checking today......i can get the pistons, rings, and rods with 7500 miles on them for 330 shipped.....that also saves me the time and money of taking the new and old pistons and rods to a machine shop to have them pressed out......i don't really need new rods but they would be nice to have.......my main concern is that i don't want to have any CR or sealing problems in the near future....
Old 08-21-2001, 11:49 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Might buy used pistons and rings.....good idea or bad idea? (GTEater)

Don't waster your time and money... used could mean anything. and who wants pistons that might be on the edge of screwing up... they won't pay for your engine should something go wrong.. save a couple more weeks and get all new internals... its a safer bet!

would you wear a used condom? NO.. so why go with used internals... you might just get screwed ....
Old 08-21-2001, 12:18 PM
New User

if you can't pass up the deal then get new rings, imo. if you can... i think it's risky... have you priced srp? or do you want oem stuff...
Old 08-21-2001, 12:23 PM
New User

Default Re: Might buy used pistons and rings.....good idea or bad idea? (Go Mifune)

there is a dealer around me that sells ITR pistons for about $46 each, plus a set of rings will set you back $50-$100 depending on brand. that's $250-$300 plus the machine shop labor to press the wrist pins out of the old pistons and put the new pistons on your rods, which shouldn't cost too much.

If your doing all the labor yourself your looking at $400 tops, I think it would be worth it for the new internals with a slightly higher CR.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:37 PM
New User

Default Re: Might buy used pistons and rings.....good idea or bad idea? (Go Mifune)

the more i think about...hmmmm.
assuming your having it done, you're dropping a chunk 'o change and how many times are you going to do this? probably just this once. another $100 in your budget would open up many more options. i try to live by, "do it once, do it right" but that isn't always possible (like now i have a prelude throttle body...)
Old 08-21-2001, 04:14 PM
Trial User

thanks for all your help guys.....i'm probably just gonna go with new ****......piece of mind is priceless