Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

LSD better or Phantom Grip better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD better or Phantom Grip better?

I am looking for a LSD or a Phantom Grip for my 98 GSR, does anyone have any ideas which one will work better? Thx Jason
Old 10-12-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Re: LSD better or Phantom Grip better? (SleepinTeg)

Your post hurts my head

Ask yourself: Phantom Grip is a form of _________. (hint**the answer is in your post title**)

Then click on this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=979961
Old 10-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD better or Phantom Grip better? (ProJectCvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProJectCvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your post hurts my head

Ask yourself: Phantom Grip is a form of _________. (hint**the answer is in your post title**)

Then click on this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=979961</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ooo Oooo, i know. call me call me. The anwer is LSD. Stupid post. Such a contridiction
Old 10-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: LSD better or Phantom Grip better? (SleepinTeg)

Technically ProJectCvic, a Phantom Grip is not really an LSD. It's not a differential at all. It's basically two pieces of metal that is forced apart with a spring and locks the spider gears of your stock differential together.

To the original poster, you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth the money?" Many people say the Phantom Grip is total garbage. But you have to see what type of modifications the car has. Under certain conditions, the Phantom Grip can be a very good cheap alternative to an LSD. A few of my friends are running it and making good power/numbers/times. No problems either.

A true LSD is going to require much more money....that is unless you can get a used one somewhere. And not to flame, but if you're asking a question such as this, chances are you won't know how to install it yourself.

Installing an LSD (MOST of the time) isn't a do-it-yourselfer. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined and I can do almost anything. But working with a transmission scares even me.

EDIT: Just to pass on some knowledge I read here. I have no idea about the quality or anything, but there is word of an OBX LSD that's available now. They say it's basically identical to the Quaiffe, but $250 instead of $800 and visually exactly the same. I'm not promoting it's use or praising it, I'm just simply passing on some knowledge for you guys interested in LSD's.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD better or Phantom Grip better? (shamoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Technically ProJectCvic, a Phantom Grip is not really an LSD. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But, phantom grip is a form of lsd considering that it consist of two metal plate goes in your differential...you stick in the differential and release the pin. It is kinda of like a rig version of the LSD basically. The spring that pushed the collars apart is too weak as i have heard from people using this setup, thus does not help with track times.

Not to argue b/c i think we all are both on the same page just using different vocabularly. I think phanton grip is an differential modified to become an LSD, but still an lsd to me
Old 10-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD better or Phantom Grip better? (B20ZLS)

i believe the proper name is phantom crap
Old 10-13-2004, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: LSD better or Phantom Grip better? (B20ZLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20ZLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But, phantom grip is a form of lsd considering that it consist of two metal plate goes in your differential...you stick in the differential and release the pin. It is kinda of like a rig version of the LSD basically. The spring that pushed the collars apart is too weak as i have heard from people using this setup, thus does not help with track times.

Not to argue b/c i think we all are both on the same page just using different vocabularly. I think phanton grip is an differential modified to become an LSD, but still an lsd to me
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Phantom Grip is NOT a differential, period. A differential has gears that transfer the power from the transmission to the axles. The stock diff is the open type, and the Phantom Grip is a device that you add to a stock open diff to make it act like a limited-slip diff.

Shamoo is correct.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LSD better or Phantom Grip better? (PatrickGSR94)

Exactly...the Phantom Grip itself is not a differential, plain and simple. It is a tool used to mimic the characteristics of a limited slip differential. For so cheap, it doesnt do a bad job from what I've seen in certain scenarios, but it will not give you the same performance as a real LSD.

I also dont trust something just wedged in there running on it everyday....if I were you, I would save up for at least an ITR LSD which can be had for pretty cheap nowadays. Cheap enough to not consider phantom grip.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id go LSD! more performant, dont settle for less!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:35 AM

Default Re: (Kevin450)

phantom grip is not an lsd, answer is question and stop making smart *** comments
Old 10-13-2004, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JamaicanDM)

He did answer his question, which was phantom grip or LSD, he said LSD. Whats your problem?

Granted he could have said why other than "more performant" but nobodys perfect
Old 10-13-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Re: (newgsrdriver)

Phantom Slips are more of a locker than anything. They kinda work, but are only as strong as your stock differential, which is usually not that strong.