Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY...

hey i have a 98gsr. its got a ton of play in the shifter while its in gear. not a normal amount. in gear you can move the shifter from side to side as far as the counsol will allow. its hard to find reverse its so sloppy. the tranny was just swapped out for an 00 tranny not too long ago, so im thinkin some bracket/mount got left off/broke. i took a look at it from below but i couldnt see anything that looked wrong....

has anybody had an issue like this, or any ideas of what might be wrong??? PLEASE HELP..
thank you for any help..
Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (9818tegr)

bolt underneath the car above the exhaust kinda by the cat that goes through your actual shifter prob came off or broke
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (LSracing94)

ill check that.. thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe your shifter bushings completely descintegrated... or were never installed upon swapping the tranny
Old 11-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (steveo135)

shifter bushings where? on the linkage? the shifter is a brand new s2 shifter..
Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9818tegr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shifter bushings where? on the linkage? the shifter is a brand new s2 shifter.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. You should've bought new bushings with the new shifter. They are at the bottom of the shifter where it bolts up to the bars.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (AWD Terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes. You should've bought new bushings with the new shifter. They are at the bottom of the shifter where it bolts up to the bars.</TD></TR></TABLE>
usually the shifter will come with them i believe..
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

read this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2384645&page=2
on my car it is the part circled in red
Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (AWD Terror)

i thought the skunk2 shifter had new bushings in it when purchased..? i started to part my car, so tranny and all linkage was removed.. im just resetting it back up which is y i assumed something was left off or broke.. sence weve had the 00 tranny in its had this bad play...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (zrickety)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zrickety &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">read this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2384645&page=2
on my car it is the part circled in red
</TD></TR></TABLE>

really so it was the actual linkage itself causing play?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM

might be your syncros in your tranny , might want to get it check , my car did the same thing and then a week later the diff exploded and flew thru the b16 housing
Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9818tegr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey i have a 98gsr. its got a ton of play in the shifter while its in gear. not a normal amount. in gear you can move the shifter from side to side as far as the counsol will allow. its hard to find reverse its so sloppy. the tranny was just swapped out for an 00 tranny not too long ago, so im thinkin some bracket/mount got left off/broke. i took a look at it from below but i couldnt see anything that looked wrong....

has anybody had an issue like this, or any ideas of what might be wrong??? PLEASE HELP..
thank you for any help..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Be sure you installed the shifter correctly, everything above number 9 should be installed from the top. The bushing in the new shifter is more than likely fine, check number 8, 18, 16 in the picture below.

Picture taken from the thread zrickety posted.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:32 PM

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (SoTexDC2)

ok after lookin into this a bit more im really lost... ive found no issues where i was advised to look.. the shifter, in gear, will move side to side just as much as when the shifter is out of gear.. i did notice from underneith the car when you push the shifter side 2 side while in gear it spins the whole shift linkage 90+ dergrees.. it spins all the way into the tranny.. it spins the linkage and the shaft it connects to the tranny with.. is this normal? someone mentioned it might be syncros, could this be my problem? its a 00 transmission so i hoped it was in good conduituion.. so if i try to go into reverse its next to impossiable cause you have to go so far over the shifter hits the center councel edge..

someone plesase help..
Old 11-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9818tegr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok after lookin into this a bit more im really lost... ive found no issues where i was advised to look.. the shifter, in gear, will move side to side just as much as when the shifter is out of gear.. i did notice from underneith the car when you push the shifter side 2 side while in gear it spins the whole shift linkage 90+ dergrees.. it spins all the way into the tranny.. it spins the linkage and the shaft it connects to the tranny with.. is this normal? someone mentioned it might be syncros, could this be my problem? its a 00 transmission so i hoped it was in good conduituion.. so if i try to go into reverse its next to impossiable cause you have to go so far over the shifter hits the center councel edge..

someone plesase help..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bad synchronizers will not cause these symptoms. There is only so much room inside the transmission for the shift rod to rotate, period.

It still sounds like your linkage is messed up. Did you install the shifter from the top, inside the car? Can you post pictures of the shifter, where the linkage attaches to the car, and where it attaches to the transmission?

Goto google, type in "honda hookup manuals". Goto the site, and download the manual for your car. This is the Helms shop manual in PDF. Remove the shift linkage, and install exactly as the helms states. Step by step.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (peajay_32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peajay_32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">might be your syncros in your tranny , might want to get it check , my car did the same thing and then a week later the diff exploded and flew thru the b16 housing </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dang, everytime i want to get LSD i read one of these and it strikes fear into me!!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (twentyhurtz)

i give up on this thread, all possible info was given to him..now its up to him to figure out where the issue is
Old 11-06-2008, 04:22 PM

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (SoTexDC2)

ok im gonna take it apart and reassemble hopefuly this weekend.. ill try to get a cam and take a few pics before and after and get them up.. i dont know how 2put pics on here so if u give ur email ill mail em to ya..

juyst so were clear....
my gear selection input shaft on my tranny, is it supposed to be able to rotate 80-100 degrees in gear??? this is the end result of my sloppy shifter.. inside when u, in gear, take the shifter from far right counsol edge to far left, it rotates the linkage under the car, which rotates the input shaft on my tranny 80-100 degree... is this normal, ok? i was thinking this might be y i have all the slop, but might be end result of slop..

and also i informed u slightly wrong. orig. my car lost tranny setup.. i bought new tranny to throw in. i threw in the tranny and linkage, stock shifter was still installed in car.. at that point we noticed the bad slop in shifter. then we swapped the shifter for a skunk2.. the skunk2 was installed from the top, but we had the slop with the stock shifter which was not removed and we still have the slop.........

PLEASE HELP ME.........
Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 PM

YOU HAVE TWO PIECES TO YOUR LINKAGE, ONE IS CONNECTED BY A PIN, WHICH GOES UP THROUGH CONNECTING IT TO A PIECE WHICH GOES INTO YOUR TRANSMISSION, THIS OBVIOUSLY ISN'T YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE OTHER HOWEVER IS CONNECTED BY A TEN OR TWELVE MILLIMETER BOLT, THIS MAY BE IT MAKE SURE IT IS CONNECTED AND NOT LOOSE, IF NOT THERE ARE TWO BUSHINGS WHICH COULD CAUSE IT, ACTUALLY THREE, TWO TYPES, TWO ROUND O BUSHINGS OR A RECTANGULAR BUSHING. ALL ARE BENEATH CAR, ABOVE EXHAUST.

LOOK

NOT SO DIFFICULT
Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9818tegr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok im gonna take it apart and reassemble hopefuly this weekend.. ill try to get a cam and take a few pics before and after and get them up.. i dont know how 2put pics on here so if u give ur email ill mail em to ya..

juyst so were clear....
my gear selection input shaft on my tranny, is it supposed to be able to rotate 80-100 degrees in gear??? this is the end result of my sloppy shifter.. inside when u, in gear, take the shifter from far right counsol edge to far left, it<U> rotates the linkage under the car, which rotates the input shaft on my tranny 80-100 degree... is this normal, ok? </U> i was thinking this might be y i have all the slop, but might be end result of slop..

and also i informed u slightly wrong. orig. my car lost tranny setup.. i bought new tranny to throw in. i threw in the tranny and linkage, stock shifter was still installed in car.. at that point we noticed the bad slop in shifter. then we swapped the shifter for a skunk2.. the skunk2 was installed from the top, but we had the slop with the stock shifter which was not removed and we still have the slop.........

PLEASE HELP ME.........</TD></TR></TABLE>

as far as i know...that IS NOT normal and there should be a pin or bolt going through the end of the linkage with bushings around it so that it does not rotate
Old 11-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (90tegblueonblack)

all bushings look good. none flex or anything, everything looks tight and secure.... its not flexing thus causing play, its liuke something is missing all together, but it all looks there and good......??????????????????????????????

please help
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 PM

i dont understand how a pin/bushing would stop this, but regardless of what i understand i still cant see anything broke/damaged/missing.. where the shifter connects to the linkage, the connection sways all over the place as you go from left to right with the gearshift inside...

PLEASE HELP, IM GETTIN FRUSTRATED........................................ ...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 PM

can it be something in the tranny broke that is supposed to keep the shift rod/linkage from spinning and moving? shift dogs or syncros or anything.. cause the only thing that changed pre/post problem is the tranny and maybe linkage, there was a lot of time in between changes, but only trannys were changed.. went from fine with blown clutch, sat 4 awhile, removed tranny and maybe linkage, [tried to install auto tranny, dont ask..lol], installed 00 tranny and now i cant find out what causes this problem..................

please help.......................
Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM

post a picture of your shift linkage at both ends, with good lighting, from there you can get all the help you are going to be able to get, but without seeing it, its difficult for anyone to give you help past what has been given
Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (90tegblueonblack)

this happend after i installed my s2 shifter also... the both that goes threw the bottom of the shifter got really really loose, get under and tightin it up. bet that helps alot.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY... (oMek)

post pics today

Quick Reply: LOOSE SHIFTER, MAJOR SHIFTER PLAY...