Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they Shit? Very Confused!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phillips H.I.D.

Ok, here is my contribution to this thread...and then I am out of here.

Phillips H.I.D. Ballasts and Bulbs (D2S, rated at 4100K)
2001 U.S. Integra GS-R - Stock Halogen Projector Housing (Unmodified in anyway)
Upgraded headlight fuses to 15 or 20 (I can't remember which one I used)
Installed in 10 minutes
Not as perfect as a Honda S2000, TL Type-S, BMW 3 or 5 Series, etc...(Cars are that have OEM projecter H.I.D.), But WAY better than stock halogen Integras!!!
Never once have I been flashed by oncoming traffic because my lights were blinding someone!

Here are the pics, sorry you can't link directly:
http://gsr.streetracing.org/images/11.jpg
http://gsr.streetracing.org/images/12.jpg
You can see from this pic that it would be impossible for me to "blind" oncoming traffic since my lights point down on the ground.

If anyone has any questions...feel free to ask...since I am not the type of guy that will yell at you and say "SEARCH"

One more thing. I bought my kit at http://www.visualdynamics.ca
Old 12-09-2003, 05:45 PM

have a pic of the cut off and the pattern on the ground nice kit
Old 12-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (yesbuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yesbuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check that pic

and that on wet ground
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I don't like about HID in the stock projectors, it makes those 2 parabolic-shaped areas of light, very bright directly in front of the car then falls off fairly quickly, whereas OEM HID projectors would put down a very wide spread pattern.

What kit did you get again? Looks like my cutoff is slightly better, and bulb position inside the projector makes a BIG difference on what the cutoff looks like.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:54 PM

thats the Bohmen kit!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> For people who dont have the patience/$ to do an OEM conversion and want better output, its a good buy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. But if you you can muster the patience a nice pair of transplanted Audi A6 Bi-Xenon projectors would fit quite nicely. I like mine.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:48 PM

lets seem come night time pics!?! hows the cut-off and nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yesbuy)

Sorry, I don't have any night time pics.

But, to be honest there is slight restriction on the side output due to the bumper's circular housing design, unlike a JDM ITR's flat and open face. The loss is acceptable however, considering that frontal output and the cutoff is very sharp. The beam pattern is very similar to other examples shown by other HID integra owner's on this forum.

The light output is superb compared to OEM halogen. Color is slightyly less blue compared side-by-sie to a BMW or Audi vehicle with OEM HIDs. The prismatic effect is quite apparent from head on. However, the top most of the cutoff line the tinge is yellow, as opposed to blue/purple like on an Audi.

I believe this color discrepency occurs, in my case, because I removed a small length of metal bar within the HID projector housing. This was removed to compensate for a slighltly oversized Bi-Xenon projector and help it to fit. By comparison you can see in the photo that the projector from a Bi-Xenon doesn't spare and room for error. The non Bi-xenon Bosche projectors are smaller in diameter and fit much more easily. But, I wanted a challenge and am pleased with the results, regardless.

HTH

It's worth the trouble of doing this mod if you feel confident enough in your abilities to persue it. Thanks for asking. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (yesbuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yesbuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, for some reason my cutoff looks a lot sharper than that...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:10 AM

what kit or setup do u have?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

err what doesnt blinding people imply that they are ultra bright? are you looking upgrade to HID to they would be darker than stock?

yes, you do sound confused. hehe
Old 12-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (IntEGNYC)

say what? People are blinded by improperly shielded HID setups, which create a ton of glare thrown up into the air above the road. A projector design helps keep all the projected light down onto the road.

Hey =p, you mentioned light loss due to the Integra bumper design. Are you using the 94-97 front end? I think the effect would be much less on a 98+ front end.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hey =p, you mentioned light loss due to the Integra bumper design. Are you using the 94-97 front end? I think the effect would be much less on a 98+ front end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't tried it. I suppose it would work, but it's currently not a priority. Maybe in the near future I'll consider it and report my findings. Thanks for the idea.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (ebelp)

Mine did also.

I went back to halogens yesterday. 9005 bulbs, upgraded wiring (suvlights.com) that draws power directly from the battery.

Cutoff is just as sharp as it was w/HIDs, but w/out the annoying hot spots and glare thrown up into the trees. I could be driving behind a car, and see the cutoff at it's rear bumper...but then there would be glare being thrown at the cars interior.

When I want HIDs, I'll just get a factory car whose lamps are designed for HIDs; don't really feel like going through the work and $ to have a proper system in my Integra.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebelp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, for some reason my cutoff looks a lot sharper than that...

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-10-2003, 09:02 AM
New User

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (NightRider-gsR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NightRider-gsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you read my post?

4300K gives you the highest lumen output. 5000K bulbs are rare...if you can find one then go for it. HIDs in 94-97 are not much of a difference from 98+.

I have Philips components in my 95 Integra. Lighting is 10x better for me and when I'm against a BMW my headlights hotspots are brighter than their HIDs, but too bad the projected lights isn't as wide and as crisp as theirs (stupid halogen projectors). Just PROPERLY adjust the aiming of the headlights and you will be satisfied!

NRG</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. I loved my HID's when I had my ITR still.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (Jesse H)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jesse H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine did also.

I went back to halogens yesterday. 9005 bulbs, upgraded wiring (suvlights.com) that draws power directly from the battery.

Cutoff is just as sharp as it was w/HIDs, but w/out the annoying hot spots and glare thrown up into the trees. I could be driving behind a car, and see the cutoff at it's rear bumper...but then there would be glare being thrown at the cars interior.

When I want HIDs, I'll just get a factory car whose lamps are designed for HIDs; don't really feel like going through the work and $ to have a proper system in my Integra.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm I don't know what HID setup you had, but my cutoff is WAY sharper w/ my Phillips HID bulbs from visualdynamics vs. halogen. I posted this on the first page, but take a look again, 4300K Phillips vs. 9005 cool blue:

Also there is barely any glare at all since I painted the projector bezels black.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (PatrickGSR94)

Philips ballasts and bulbs. I'll try to get a picture tonight. I do miss the "oooh aaaah" effect whenever I turn them on.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmm I don't know what HID setup you had, but my cutoff is WAY sharper w/ my Phillips HID bulbs from visualdynamics vs. halogen. I posted this on the first page, but take a look again, 4300K Phillips vs. 9005 cool blue:

Also there is barely any glare at all since I painted the projector bezels black.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-10-2003, 10:09 AM

I had the Philips 4300K that Patrick has and sold it. Back to Silverstars with 9005 conversion.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (Understeer)

Its funny how the bandwagon changes...first 9005, then "gotta get HIDs", now "gotta get OEM HIDs!"

My HIDs dont point up at the trees, and they dont have ridiculous glare. They are purplish, blingin, bright HID headlights. Much much better than halogen, but not as good as OEM HIDs.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (newgsrdriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its funny how the bandwagon changes...first 9005, then "gotta get HIDs", now "gotta get OEM HIDs!"

My HIDs dont point up at the trees, and they dont have ridiculous glare. They are purplish, blingin, bright HID headlights. Much much better than halogen, but not as good as OEM HIDs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true words, no matter what people say, HIDs are a sound buy
Old 12-10-2003, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (newgsrdriver)

I never jumped the bandwagon, nor did I say I say "gotta get OEM hid's"

Needed money and that was it.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (Understeer)

thank god they are a sound buy!!!!

i just spend 290 on that bohmen kit

so painting the inside of the houseing can't put a word on it mentioned above will reduce glare?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never said you did...I was just making a comment.

My buddy got the recent McCulloch deal, they were pretty good but shot light EVERYWHERE. Needed some major adjustment.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:20 PM

I love my Catz 4500k kit. Sharp cut-off and great amount of light.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found that painting the projector bezels reduced a bit of glare that escaped above the cutoff (most of the glare comes from the headlight recesses in the 94-97 bumper). You have to disassemble the headlight housings to do this.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Trial User

Probably what I was experiencing.

I remember being behind a sheriff's cruiser and my HIDs were lighting up his cabin, even though I could distinctly see the cutoff on his bumper.

Oh well, back to halogens and I can use the money saved on something I find more useful...shocks.

I'll post pics of my halogens tonight if I have time

Quick Reply: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they Shit? Very Confused!?!?!?