Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they Shit? Very Confused!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!?

Ok so anyway i was going to buy them and then all the sudden ppl start telling me that they are junk that there are a wast of money that there is no cut off line that they wont be that bright and that i will do nothing but blind ppl is this true!!???!!

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=683685

check that out doesn't mention the integra but what do i dooooo ahhhh!

Old 12-05-2003, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (yesbuy)

you guys have pics of what they look like on the ground also let me know what kit you have and if you retro fitted a projector from another car!?!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:07 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (yesbuy)

I'd say do a search on honda-tech and online.. I'm not sure how to answer your questions.. I thought teg's has stock projector headlights..?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

DUDE CHILL youll be fine just as long as you have the 98+ front end. All you need is the HID kit because you already have the projectors and ive seen plenty of 98+ integras with HID kits including my friends ITR and they look just fine with a perfect cutoff and every thing.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (mrmonk)

I currently have HID's in my 96. Philips ballast and bulbs. Going back to halogens. These lamps are just not up to par w/a factory HID system.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (Jesse H)

I think the only people who are justified in what theyre saying are the people who *expect* the HIDs to be just like OEM HIDs, when in fact, thats not happening, like Jesse H mentioned.

Light output is a ton better, the road is easier to see, and they look bling. All this cutoff talk and whatnot is just people jumping on the latest "HT Bandwagon" theme, which is OEM HID conversions.

HIDs are a solid upgrade if you ask me, much better than halogen, and of course not as nice as OEM HIDs. For people who dont have the patience/$ to do an OEM conversion and want better output, its a good buy.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:49 AM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (newgsrdriver)

First of all, I was really hesitant to reply to this thread---All I know is that the same people on this board are most likely to be in it as always with most other HID threads (AND there are tons!!).

Second, has anyone ever mentioned how well the search function works?
67 results from typing "Integra HID" ---> archived content checked.

Third, before anyone jumps on any assumptions, let me lay out the facts (any other HID guru's out there, please correct me if I don't catch my post mistakes).

FACT1: DC2 Integras have PROJECTORS alright, however, they are designed and intended for HALOGEN use. This is the main reason people complain about 4300ks looking yellow. Do not worry, new HID bulbs after 100+hrs of usage will take a colorshift in color temperature.
What this means is that, they will reach their more natural white color and at some angles may appear slightly blue. The bulbs will keep getting blue'r as they age and will reach up to 6000k in color tempreture output (this doesn't mean more output, its actually less...in this case the bigger the number is not better).
Remember _ _ _ _K stands for Kelvins which is the color temperature and Lumen is the measure of light output.

Halogens: 3200k @ 1900 Lumens (9500 size bulb) - 55watts, < 300Hrs of usage
HID Systems:
4300k [may be marketed as 4100k] @ 3200 Lumens equates to approx 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb
6000k [technically--> 5830 kelvins, approx 20% less light output than 4300k] @ 2800 Lumens

Higher K kits such as 7000k, 7500k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals [ricers] that are more concerned about the actual color output of their lights as opposed to the the actual useable light output they produce. - http://www.xenondepot.com
12000k = blacklight....now you know!!!

FACT1a: "Many people believe the misconception that colour temperature is a rating of the brightnes of the bulb or HID kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the colour temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a colour temperature of approx 12,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output. Higher K kits such as 7000k, 7500k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual colour output of their lights as opposed to the the actual useable light output they produce." -- from http://www.xenondepot.com

FACT2: If you were to retrofit, let's say AUDI projectors in Integra headlights, and if done right, will produce an almost perfect light cut off compared to OE Hid equipped cars.

Degrees K = COLOUR ONLY Lumen= BRIGHTNESS

FACT3: A 35-Watt XENON HID lamp produces up to 3x the lumens at the light source when compared to a 55-Watt halogen bulb.

FACT4: It wont make much of a difference having an HID in 95-97 Integras compared to 98+.

FACT5: HID lamp systems draw significantly less power from your vehicles electrical system.

FACT6: HID's are not a waste of money. They are a great investment. Think about spending $10 for a set of halogens which have to be replaced every year or so because they decrease too much in output overtime or one bulb blows out. Good HID components with great bulbs (Philips, those manufactured by CATZ, etc) will last for years, and maybe last longer than your car. On average Philips bulbs will last 3-5 times longer than a traditional halogen bulb (over 3500 hrs).

FACT7: "The Philips Ultinon 6000k bulb will provide a bluer output than the regular Philips 4100k bulb however it is also rated at having approx 20% less light output than the 4100k bulb." --- xenondepot.com

FACT8: Unless your headlights are not properly aimed, you may blind oncoming drivers---make sure to RE-Aim your headlights whenever you:
a) change the drop height of your car.
b) install an HID system.

I may have missed some good points so please feel free to add to this. I hope this has cleared many misconceptions.

Here are my pictures.
Philips components from XenonDepot.com ---Steve gets 2 thumbs up from me!
Blacked out headlights---both lows and highs

One of the reasons why my handle is NightRider...

Oh...how about my good friend civicjdmgsr's 5th gen Civic Si Hatchback...Also Philips 4300k but Bi-Xenon is his reflector housings---and NO they do not blind people!

PS: add ".orig.jpg" to see the full sized version. And I will add to this post as I gather up more info from my previous posts.

NRG

Modified by NightRider-gsR at 1:22 PM 12/5/2003
Old 12-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (NightRider-gsR)

Are the headlights in the 98+ Integra better(brighter) than the 97 and below? I compared my 94Integra lights with my friends 99Integra and his seen a bit brighter and clearer (*Both stock headlight bulbs*)....
Old 12-05-2003, 12:18 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (mickey513)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mickey513 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are the headlights in the 98+ Integra better(brighter) than the 97 and below? I compared my 94Integra lights with my friends 99Integra and his seen a bit brighter and clearer (*Both stock headlight bulbs*)....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want to find this out for myself, although, you have to take into account, if the other had newer bulbs. If you said, both cars has brand new exact type spec bulbs then I would believe you (oh with pictures too).

NRG
Old 12-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (NightRider-gsR)

My usual contribution: this pic is of my DC2 (right), and an S2k (left). The S2k's cutoff is obviously sharper, but not that much sharper.

This is when I had the 94 front end

These are with my 2000 bumper/headlights:

Old 12-05-2003, 12:56 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (ebelp)

lol ebelp...I knew you would post here too. I'm waiting for Patrick to chime in. And if MTK ever see's this...I know he would as well.

I like your first picture a lot. Would you happen to have any JDM front end comparison vs. OE HID equipped car?

I forgot to explain how in Integra HID projectors, HOTSPOTs will be very visible. And everyone can see that in ebelp's 2nd picture.

NRG
Old 12-05-2003, 02:05 PM

I was going to get 41K Philips HID kit for my 94 teg but now I may be changing my mind. So are HID kits in 94-97+ headlights not as good as 98+ headlights then? If I do get HID's then should it be 41K or 5000K for the philips kit?
Old 12-05-2003, 02:09 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (DB8_TEG)

Did you read my post?

4300K gives you the highest lumen output. 5000K bulbs are rare...if you can find one then go for it. HIDs in 94-97 are not much of a difference from 98+.

I have Philips components in my 95 Integra. Lighting is 10x better for me and when I'm against a BMW my headlights hotspots are brighter than their HIDs, but too bad the projected lights isn't as wide and as crisp as theirs (stupid halogen projectors). Just PROPERLY adjust the aiming of the headlights and you will be satisfied!

NRG
Old 12-05-2003, 03:55 PM

So how hard would it be to retrofit HID projectors? Someone on ebay is selling HID kits which include projector housings which look about the same size as the Integra's.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (dwolsten)

I love my HIDs... I know IN VTEC posted some pictures a while back... they totally rule all.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (FastSS)

i did a oem hid retrofit...their pretty bright....when i get next to cars with stock hid e.g. (lexus, bmw, mbenz) my light output is usually brighter or the same....to me its like driving driving around with high beams without blinding people...you should get hid....even if you dont do the projector conversion....

but hey, you can take advice from someone like me who has HID and has done the conversion or you can take advice from some peeps on HT who "heard" or "think" HID is not a good upgrade...
Old 12-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (DB8_TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DB8_TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was going to get 41K Philips HID kit for my 94 teg but now I may be changing my mind. So are HID kits in 94-97+ headlights not as good as 98+ headlights then? If I do get HID's then should it be 41K or 5000K for the philips kit? </TD></TR></TABLE>

After I did the 98+ front end conversion, I did notice a difference in the beam pattern. The 98+ beam pattern is a bit better, only because it seems wider, covering more ground area. This has nothing to do with the HID's. The 98+ projectors just seem a little bit nicer. The beam cutoff is pretty much the same.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (ebelp)

I would love to do a retrofit but it is just really hard to find any HID projectors where I am, so I guess I will have to do with my 94 headlights til I can find a set to retrofit. Found 2000 528i BMW Hella Xenon headlights but I am unsure if they would fit. I only know A4's have been done in integra headlights and S2k's. TIA.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (newgsrdriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the only people who are justified in what theyre saying are the people who *expect* the HIDs to be just like OEM HIDs, when in fact, thats not happening, like Jesse H mentioned.

Light output is a ton better, the road is easier to see, and they look bling. All this cutoff talk and whatnot is just people jumping on the latest "HT Bandwagon" theme, which is OEM HID conversions.

HIDs are a solid upgrade if you ask me, much better than halogen, and of course not as nice as OEM HIDs. For people who dont have the patience/$ to do an OEM conversion and want better output, its a good buy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is this OEM conversion you are talking about? i am out of the loop.

Edit- just searched! seems like HID kits are now illegal to sell in the US
Old 12-05-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (SilverDc2)

seems like everyone agrees that HID is acceptable in our 94+ tegs.... but which kit to buy..

Is xenondepot the only place- and is 41-5000K the only (ie best) recommendation.

also im kinda like a bolt in person, so whre can i find a 9006 HID system anyone know of a car with the 9006 hid from the factory
Old 12-05-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (95gsrturbo)

I don't have any good shots of the beam pattern. But I have a decent one of the cut off. Not quite as good as stock cut off but pretty good. I've driven another car with mine behind us and had no problems with the light blinding me in the mirror
Ignore the people complaining about the light being "yellow" they're more concerned about looking cool then function

(excuse the bad patch on the drivers side I had the bulb in wrong)
Old 12-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (tony4311)

Screw the pansy's. I have had HID upgrades in ALL my Hondas and they are hands down the best. Call me selfish but I dont give a turkey tird if I blind somebody in oncoming traffic. Sure, I get a guy pissed about it that gets behind me once in a blue moon, but its advantages HEAVILY outweigh its disadvantages.

Newsgsrdriver is right, people dont like the fact of retrofit HID's because they dont perform like an OEM HID in terms of cutoff.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (Migs)

I have a 4300K kit I got from Trevor and I'm lovin' them. They're the best mod I've done to my ride so far. Yeah, everyone can bitch that they're not as good as OEM HID's, but they're way better than the stock halogens on Integra's.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (95gsrturbo)

Originally Posted by 95gsrturbo
seems like everyone agrees that HID is acceptable in our 94+ tegs.... but which kit to buy..

Is xenondepot the only place- and is 41-5000K the only (ie best) recommendation.

also im kinda like a bolt in person, so whre can i find a 9006 HID system anyone know of a car with the 9006 hid from the factory
There is no such thing as "factory" 9006 HID. HID uses either D2S bulbs (for projector) or D2R bulbs (for reflector). I think both have the same base, and all factory HID housings are made so those bulbs fit. You have to modify the base of the bulb to make it fit a 9006 housing.

NRG just one slight correction, 9005 halogen bulbs are rated at 60W nominal and 1700 lumens output. 9006 = 51W nominal and 1000 lumens output.

Now for my observations and some pics....

Regarding 94-97 vs. 98-01 front end, I think the 98-01 front is a bit better because it doesn't have the deep headlight recesses like 94-97. With those deep recesses, you get a bit of light reflecting off and up above the cutoff, producing a little bit of glare.

With stock Integra projectors, you can NOT bend the shield. I tried, and broke it. I got a broken 98+ headlight from a wrecked Integra for free and swapped the projector housing over into my headlight housing, and used the glass lens from my 94 headlight. I notice that the cutoff on my "frankenstein" headlight to be slightly sharper than my original 94 headlight on the other side.

Also, using my Phillips D2S bulbs that got last year from visualdynamics, my cutoff appears to be slightly sharper and more defined than with regular halogen bulbs.

I also painted the projector bezel black, which also seems to have reduced some glare that was getting above my cutoff line. It did not seem to affect light output in any way... but w/ 3200 lumens I can afford to lose a few I guess.

Here's some cutoff pics from ~25 ft. away, keep in mind the passenger side has the 98+ projector:

HID vs. 9005 Cool Blue:

Passenger side 9005 in 98 projector:

Passenger side HID in 98 projector:

Now from 5 ft. away

both HID:

HID vs. 9005 Cool Blue:

Now here's some of my car vs. S2000:

Notice how both are exactly the same color:

My car:

S2000:

Both:

Notice how my car puts hotspots on the ground directly in front of the car, while the S2000's light is much more even and wide-spread (nevermind the cutoff height, his were way out of adjustment at that time).

In my opinion, OEM HID is really the best way to go. Yes my lights are way brighter than stock, but they really don't project the light out as far as OEM HID. I mainly got these lights to see better on the interstate highways at night, and when going fast you need to be able to see far, and high beams are really inconsiderate and dangerous since there is almost always oncoming traffic on interstates. If you are good at DIY mods then OEM HID will probably cost about the same or sometimes less than a kit will. Once I get my 98+ front end I will be putting OEM HID projectors in the 98 headlights. Since I have ballasts already, all I need are projectors and new un-modified D2S bulbs.

Just a couple more pics:

Projector w/ painted bezel:

Broken projector shield

Just for kicks I put my HID bulb into that projector w/ broken shield to see what it looked like... it was NASTY, nothing but a big blob of light, the lower half being blueish-white like normal and the upper half all yellow. I should take a picture....
Old 12-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they ****? Very Confused!?!?!? (Migs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Migs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Screw the pansy's. I have had HID upgrades in ALL my Hondas and they are hands down the best. Call me selfish but I dont give a turkey tird if I blind somebody in oncoming traffic. Sure, I get a guy pissed about it that gets behind me once in a blue moon, but its advantages HEAVILY outweigh its disadvantages.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should see the light from my car when I have my HID's and halogen brights on all at once... it's like DAYLIGHT it's so bright... and if you ever got behind me with some non-shielded POS hid setup in reflector housings, I would get behind you and flick on my brights for as long as possible.

to not having consideration for other drivers on the road.

Quick Reply: Intergra's with HID Kits!! Are they Shit? Very Confused!?!?!?