Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

I need Short Throw advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Short Throw advice.

A friend of mine (not me) is wanthing to but a ebay $10 short throw. I have heard wary bad storys about them, and im trying to talk to talk him out of it. Please hep. If u have hadbad luck or heard of someone else thats had bad luck please tell the story here. He thinks all short throws are the same except the distance between shifts. Please help me talk him out of it. Chas

P.S. His reason is that his last $10 shifter lasted him a whole year before it broke. His car is good for aleast a mid to high 13, and he wants to start putting **** parts into it.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need Short Throw advice. (TwoKSiR)

let me get this straight....his last $10 shifter broke, so now he wants another $10 shifter? tell him to stop being a cheapskate and buy something reputable or hes gonna need another $10 for his next crappy shifter.
if hes smart enough to build a 13 second car, then he shouldve known better in the first place.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haven't really heard anything bad about short shifters other then people buying cheap ones and ending up braking in a few month. But i would also like to know the down side to having a short shifter. i've had mines for about 2 months and nothing has happened so far.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:30 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: (aeon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aeon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haven't really heard anything bad about short shifters other then people buying cheap ones and ending up braking in a few month. But i would also like to know the down side to having a short shifter. i've had mines for about 2 months and nothing has happened so far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I seriously don't know how people break shifters.... do they shift that hard or they just have too much muscle power. I've had my chepo short shifter and I drive my car hard... no problems. Just make sure you always follow up on the 15,000 mile interval and change your MTF.

The only think about short shifters in general is how they get hot after some driving due to the relocation which makes it much close to the exhaust pipes or heat shield.

but in ebay world, oftentimes YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

-NRG
Old 05-18-2004, 11:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aeon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haven't really heard anything bad about short shifters other then people buying cheap ones and ending up braking in a few month. But i would also like to know the down side to having a short shifter. i've had mines for about 2 months and nothing has happened so far.</TD></TR></TABLE>
one downside is it increases the chance of a miss-shift..doesnt mean it'll happen all the time but the possibility is greater.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:39 AM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: (nolex7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nolex7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
one downside is it increases the chance of a miss-shift..doesnt mean it'll happen all the time but the possibility is greater.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's true too. I forgot about that. GJ pointing it out.

-NRG
Old 05-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

owe yeah one more thing is that you might get some rattling. i get some rattling with my short shifter.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:42 AM

a short throw shifter will wearn down your synchros faster because it mis-aligns the synchros between every gear due to it not being long enough.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: (b18c1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18c1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a short throw shifter will wearn down your synchros faster because it mis-aligns the synchros between every gear due to it not being long enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A short shifter does no such thing. That is just something that people made up because they didn't want to own up to the fact they themselves F'd up their transmissions, so they blame it on the short throw shifters. BS.

The distance the shift linkage below the car moves always remains the same. The length of the shift throw in the cabin is shortened by changing the geometry of the shifter above and below the pivot point.

FWIW I've been using my $40 AutoZone shifter for almost 3 years now. My transmission has almost 165K miles on it with at least 65K of that with the short throw. My transmission is fine. Learn to drive and shift correctly, and you won't wear ou the synchros, at least not pre-maturely.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

alright, just telling some people what ive learned from some experienced motor/tranny builders.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:00 PM

why do you people buy those cheap ebay shifters? Short shifters are cheap enough as it is... spend a little guys... if you aren't willing to spend money on your car don't mod it.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Default Re: (Integra4lyfe)

Nothing wrong with the ebay shifters as far as i can tell, had one in mine for the past 7000 miles...no problems except having to take the heat shield off during installation. Although my friend bought a B&M shifter, they have a better feel to them due to being stainless steel as apposed to the billet aluminum that the ebay uses. They do cost a good $90 more though, But you shouldn't be breaking shifters regardless, unless you're retarded so your friend might have bigger problems...
Old 05-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18c1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright, just telling some people what ive learned from some experienced motor/tranny builders.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's a common misconception

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shyfty50 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nothing wrong with the ebay shifters as far as i can tell, had one in mine for the past 7000 miles...no problems except having to take the heat shield off during installation. Although my friend bought a B&M shifter, they have a better feel to them due to being stainless steel as apposed to the billet aluminum that the ebay uses. They do cost a good $90 more though, But you shouldn't be breaking shifters regardless, unless you're retarded so your friend might have bigger problems... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have tried several B&M's in my friends' cars and didn't like the feel at all, had too much of the rubbery stock feeling, probably because you have to reuse the stock parts that go in the bottom of the shifter

I still say nothing beats my AutoZone shifter dollar for dollar.