Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

help- (vid) tachometer bouncing everywhere & engine bogging

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help- (vid) tachometer bouncing everywhere & engine bogging

yo guys so I have a 98 integra LS coupe 5spd, it has a problem where the engine is basically running like **** under load. it’s idling mint and is nice and stable most of the time, but during take offs from low rpm, or under a load like 4k+ rpm, the engine bogs hard and is like it’s not using all the fuel efficiently when I floor it, feels like the engine is clogged or something if that makes sense.

runs like poop under load like i said like 25% power loss. Engine kinda pops a little when under load and you let off the throttle, but no CEL for misfires or anything else...also very bouncy response when i give it hard throttle then let off immediately ... car literally bounces back and forth but that’s a diff problem

i don’t think it’s an actual tachometer sensor bad, more likely i think the engine is actually running according to the tach. aka inconsistent rpm, power loss etc

Ive seen suggestions to replace ICV, ignition control module, o2 sensor, etc. Tune up was done at 120k, the wires however were not done, and they are kinda rust by where they connect to the distributor- might be the cause? lemme know -

youtube clip- running a constant speed on highway

clip 2- 6k rev

Last edited by free6ix9ine; 12-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: help- (vid) tachometer bouncing everywhere & engine bogging

You're seeing classic symptoms of the ICM in the distributor going bad. You can replace just the ICM or the whole distributor. The ICM generates the tach signal, and a twitchy tach is a nearly sure sign that the ICM is failing. Eventually it will get to the point where your car either won't start or will barely start.

If the engine was actually changing RPM that fast you'd be lurching and losing traction all over the place.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
You're seeing classic symptoms of the ICM in the distributor going bad. You can replace just the ICM or the whole distributor. The ICM generates the tach signal, and a twitchy tach is a nearly sure sign that the ICM is failing. Eventually it will get to the point where your car either won't start or will barely start.

If the engine was actually changing RPM that fast you'd be lurching and losing traction all over the place.
I know the super bounces aren’t real rpm change but still the engine has some noticeable power loss as well and it’s really boggy on low rpm as well as high rpm n high load..as far as bounces in the car itself, it does bounce when on and off the accelerator in low gears (like in parking lot my car drives like ***)

as for your suggestion i’ll probabakt just get an ICM as it’s cheap
Old 12-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93

Yup, this ^ , I fixed a similar issue on a Del Sol. It could be something else but I would start with that, replace the wires if they are rusty as that is never good, and the distributor cap will also be rusty at the connection point.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Yup, this ^ , I fixed a similar issue on a Del Sol. It could be something else but I would start with that, replace the wires if they are rusty as that is never good, and the distributor cap will also be rusty at the connection point.

ok i’ll get some new wires and cap / rotor ! thanks guys
Old 12-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any suggestions on why my car is bouncy from take offs and acceleration/deceleration in super low rpms in 1st gear ?
Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

You don't need to bump your thread every 12 hours, stuff stays on the first page for a few days.

We already told you what's wrong with your car, your distributor is likely failing.

As for problems at super low RPM, well, you aren't supposed to drive at super low RPM, this isn't a V8 pickup truck. Some of the owners manuals actually say not to drive the car below 1800 RPM IIRC.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im talking about bouncing from 0mph up to 1k rpm. I’m not driving around 15mph in 5th gear man. im sayin when I drive low speeds where I barely have to press the gas , aka neighborhood or parking lot, the entire car bounces front-back motion whenever I accelerate or decelerate, and I’m looking to make it run smooth. one of things that is not a very bad problem but it just makes the ride feel very honda-like if ya feel me on that.. I just wanna be able to pull up at a slow speed without this bouncing ****
Old 12-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

First thing you need to do is replace that rusted spark wires.
Replace the ICM and or the distributor.
Take off the VC, and pull out the spark plugs and check the gap and condition. leave the plugs out and manually turn the crank with a ratchet and bring the cam gears to TDC and check if the lines on the cam gears line up both the tops and the middle, This confirms your Mech. timing is correct. If its off this is the Main issue and reset the timing belt, the cams can skip a tooth or 2 causing your exact issues.
Grab a timing gun and check and set the ignition timing to spec.
Report back.